Home Classifieds Rifles

Winchester model 94 questions

Sporty726Sporty726 Posts: 27 New Member
I recently acquired 2 model 94s. Both guns came in pieces and are missing parts.

One is a 1915 .30-.30 carbine saddle ring. there was once a medallion in the stock obviously it's not now. Does anyone have any idea what the medallion would have been? I'm working on finding the parts I'm missing on this one so I can put it back together.  

The second is a 1966, it is missing several parts and has a broken upper tang. I have some ideas for a repair.  My idea is to silver solder it using key stock under both sides of the tang also silver soldering those one then mill out the stock to make room for the key stock.  Anyone have any better ideas or a lead on a different receiver I could replace it with?

Thanks for any help!

Replies

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,875 Senior Member
    How big is the hole for the medallion....pictures would help
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • Sporty726Sporty726 Posts: 27 New Member
    The hole is 1 7/8"  I'm starting to wonder if this isn't the correct stock. I was looking for parts and the fire end doesn't appear to be correct so what are the odds of the stock being correct 
    THAT appears to be the correct size and placement for a Winchester Commemorative Medallion....methinks someone replaced the original stock...
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 5,576 Senior Member
    That stock looks period correct but that hole is pretty deep and somewhat imperfect (factory done it would be a perfect shaped circle) the stock is pretty plain walnut.  Not what I would expect in a commemorative gun.  I also don’t think Winchester did any commemorative guns in 1915.  Probably some home decoration by someone who loved his gun.   Could have held anything like a coin (old silver dollar?) or some sort of inlay or medallion that has since fallen off.  Old glues were mostly natural materials based and deteriorated with age.
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

I concur that there were no Commemorative rifles in 1915....
    But I have seen the wood from trashed commemorative rifles used on other guns...

But your assumption is just as possible...

My dad has been doing wood working for many years,  he is going to see if he can reproduce the stock and fore end for me
    Jayhawker said:
    I concur that there were no Commemorative rifles in 1915....
    But I have seen the wood from trashed commemorative rifles used on other guns...

But your assumption is just as possible...

True.  I almost did that with a trashed commemorative a few years back.  The rifle was ugly but the wood was magnificent.  Then someone offered me a stupid amount of money and off it went to greener pastures.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

I was thinking about possibly selling the old stock. The fore end was off an octagon barrel with a tip cover rather than a strap so no current use for that but it is in beautiful shape.
    edited September 8 #10
    Sporty726 said:
    I was thinking about possibly selling the old stock. The fore end was off an octagon barrel with a tip cover rather than a strap so no current use for that but it is in beautiful shape.
    List it on eBay.  It’ll sell.