Home Main Category Hunting

Second kill for the season

TurdusMerulaTurdusMerula MemberPosts: 292 Member
Yesterday was a nice weather so I decided to go for a hunt after the work. Drove my one hour drive and went to one of my favourite spots to hunt. That particular field has given me seven deer and two moose so far.

I was pretty tired as I woke up too early in the morning and I kept falling asleep for a minute or two in the warm evening Sun.
Suddenly I woke up in the light breeze that was blowing to my face. I had taken a 15 minute nap while laying on my stomach. That gave me a nice refreshment and I started to wait for the deer with new current in my veins.

I didn't have to wait too long, perhaps 30 minutes when I heard something coming from the rear on my right. A young fawn was running through the barley field. He stopped on a slim wood area in the middle of the field and I desided to shoot him. Some of you might remember that we have to shoot fawns too according to our game officials in order to get licenses to kill deer.

Distance was 150 yards and I decided to shoot through the shoulder blades and spine in order to drop him on the spot. It's illegal here to go into the unharvested field without the permission from the landowner.

Crosshair onto his shoulder and trigger pull. With the suppressor noice is much smaller than with "free breathing" rifles. I could hear the loud smack as the bullet hit the deer. It dropped instantly, like I was wishing for.

Went to pick it up and drove home in the sunlight.

Today I processed it and was once again amazed how little overkill damage ttsx bullets make.

I got 15.5lbs of minced meat with 4.4lbs of straps and few steaks out from that little buck-to-be. It kinda sucks to shoot those roe deer sized fawns but the law is the law.
And it's ultimate sacrifice will feed me and my family. 
And it was all alone. Cow possibly killed by a car or by reckless hunter as one's not supposed to shoot cows from the fawns.

To see a World in a Grain of Sand And a Heaven in a Wild Flower
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand And Eternity in an hour
-William Blake-

Replies

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,818 Senior Member
    ( It kinda sucks to shoot those roe deer sized fawns .)

I do not agree, that will be really tender meat-----nice job.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,396 Senior Member
    Nice shot
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,911 Senior Member
    edited September 2020 #4
    That must be quite a thing to hear the bullet impact so distinctly. 

Careful with those naps. I woke up once to a visit from curious bears. Quite a wake-up surprise.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,951 Senior Member
    That one should be good eating.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,549 Senior Member
    That’ll taste good. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,571 Senior Member
    Congrats!

Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,152 Senior Member
     Very nicely done.  Those TTSX bullets are definitely the ticket to minimal meat damage.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,263 Senior Member
    Keep those cards & letters coming! Great posts......

I still feel bad about the smallest deer I ever shot. 

I thought it was bigger and a lot farther away. It was neither, and I was in more of a hurry than I should have been. Tasted good, but lasted only one meal for 6 hungry guys.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,156 Senior Member
    Good shooting and great eating.

Is your area that heavily populated that they make you shoot fawns?
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • TurdusMerulaTurdusMerula Member Posts: 292 Member
    Diver43 said:
    Good shooting and great eating.

Is your area that heavily populated that they make you shoot fawns?
    It's been decades like that. Same goes with the moose. 50% has to be calves, 25% cows and 25% bulls of the animals we shoot.
    We are trying to keep the populations as steady as possible and the most effective method to kill the yearly yield is to take out fawns and  does. Our populations can take 40-50% taxation from the population every year.
    To see a World in a Grain of Sand And a Heaven in a Wild Flower
    Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand And Eternity in an hour
    -William Blake-
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,305 Senior Member
    A lot of people in Central Texas would consider that a nice shooter sized deer!

Laws get weird from place to place, but far be it for a dude half a world away to tell y’all how to manage your deer population. All in all a great hunt!

BTW, probably my second favorite part of hunting is taking naps in the woods ;)
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov