Home Main Category General Firearms

A Model 12 Heavy Duck paired with recoil pad legal legal wars

SmithCorona03A3SmithCorona03A3 MemberPosts: 138 Member
Ok so this is an odd combo of subjects. This past Saturday I rescued a Winchester model 12 "Heavy Duck" model from a local auction. I over paid for it I sure, but the time was right and I've always wanted one, especially since selling my standard M12 a few years back. Didn't want to be limited to 2 3/4", but thats a story unto itself for a different time & place.

So I've got this Heavy Duck, & conflicting sources put it at either a 1951 or 1954 vintage. There's a vented recoil pad on the butt that reads "White Line" trade mark by Mershon Company based out of LA California (gross). The rubber is still somewhat pliable, but not to the extent I'd like to have if I want to actually use/shoot it. But it's fit to the stock absolutely perfect, and I'm curious if it is original to the gun. All I've read about the Heavy Duck says it should have a red recoil pad.

I have never heard of Mershon, so when I punched it into google I found that way back in the 40s & 50s Mershon was involved in a series of unsuccessful lawsuits with Pachmayr over the use of a white line spacer recoil pad. Mershon was pretty proud of its white lines, evidently. But nowadays, Pachmayr is still a houehold name. So I can see how that turned out. Is my pad an original Winchester part or not?
Formerly known as SmithCorona03A3, back in the old forum days

Replies

• CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,925 Senior Member
    Sure would be nice to see a picture, pony up $5 hey.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • SmithCorona03A3SmithCorona03A3 Member Posts: 138 Member
    Lol crap. I knew somebody was gonna say that. A fellow Minnesotan no less. I'll see what I can do  ;)
    I'm supposed to be a early Millennial but technology still kicks my arse.
    What, no cell phone? You won't have to type so much with a picture ;)
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    Just hang with me now.......I'm almost there.....

There. Now y'all got no excuses.
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,874 Senior Member
    Nice gun.

Winchester liked their name in big bold print. But that pad looks good and has a cool history.
    I kinda thought that too but I wasnt sure. They outsourced some of their barrel ribs as I understand(?) so I wasn't sure if the pads on some of them were too. I may pull it off, stick it in my "treasure chest", and put a modern red Pachmayr on it. Sorry, Mr. Mershon...
    Likely a few gents here bought NIB model 12's back in the day. They'd be a good source.

Popular guns. This thread should sprout wings before long.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,383 Senior Member
    My Standard Catalog of Winchester Firearms says:

"Heavy Duck Gun, chambered in 12 gauge only with 30" or 32" round barrel with plain, solid, or ventilated rib, plain walnut pistol-grip stock fitted with Winchester solid red rubber recoil pad, plain grooved slide handle.  Built from 1935 to 1963".

Connecticut Shotgun carries reproductions of the red Winchester pads: https://connecticutshotgun.co/search.php?search_query=recoil pad&section=product
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,921 Senior Member
    This is probably what it came with if it had a factory pad!! The pad that's on there is well done and still looks functional. 

See the source image
    I like the black better, but, there is merit to restoring it to the original configuration, so, shoot it at some waterfowl first and then decide.
    Just in case you need some how-to help.

Herb Parsons was the Winchester rep way back when. I can't see the pad on his model 12 on my small screen. Too much clay dust maybe? :)
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,452 Senior Member
    That's a sweet looking example of the Model 12. I'd shoot it first to see how the recoil pad does or doesn't perform. Personally, I'd just strap on a PAST recoil shield and leave that pad as it is on the gun if recoil is a problem. Now go play whack a duck and goose with it!
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 4,062 Senior Member
    This model 12 is listed as all original. I don't know if it is or isn't.

Makes little difference to me. You have a cool shotgun there. Save any parts you replace. 👍
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• JunkCollectorJunkCollector Posts: 606 Senior Member
    Mershon was probably just as popular or maybe even more so than Pachmeyer back then.

They made grip adapters for revolvers also.
  • bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 1,910 Senior Member
    Nice model 12! 
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 6,287 Senior Member
    Just in case you need some how-to help.

Herb Parsons was the Winchester rep way back when. I can't see the pad on his model 12 on my small screen. Too much clay dust maybe? :)
    Saw Tom Knapp live in an exhibition once.  THAT was something to see!  
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• GunNutGunNut Posts: 6,287 Senior Member

That 12 is in FINE condition and whoever did that pad did a great job!  Excellent score!
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

Thanks you guys for the links and compliments  :)   I'm seeing some more pictures of those old 12's with the red pads like the one Spk posted, and honestly Im not sure if I like that look either lol. But I have mounted a few of the newer Pachmayrs over the years in that more orange-ish color and I do like that look against walnut. But I'll have to shoot it first to see how the current one feels. 
    I know some of those leather strap-ons (easy now) look kinda nice, but the length of pull as it sits already is all the farther I want to go. That short skinny fore-stock sure looks nice but it's a reach even with a 13 1/2" +/- LOP!

Herb Parsons was nuts. Seen a few of those vintage videos over the years. I had the pleasure of seeing Tom Knapp in action 3 times. For a few years he had annual stops in my neck of the woods. Pretty wild what those guys could do not only with a shotgun but even rifles on aerial targets. He made those Benelli's sing!