Home Main Category Clubhouse

wetsuit

2»

Replies

• N454casullN454casull Member Posts: 611 Senior Member
    As a young man I went white water rafting/fishing here in the Pacific Northwest in shorts and water shoes. About mid 20’s I stopped enjoying that. Now days there’s no way I’m getting in without a thick wetsuit or waders. Glacier fed rivers are cold in August. 
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,452 Senior Member
    tennmike said:
    We wore 3/2 wetsuits white water rafting in Tennessee in late October and were comfortable- the guides also had on wetsuits- everyone else froze their tails off
    If that was on the Ocoee River I bet those without wetsuits were really cold. That river is, or can be, cold in the summer, too.
    You know your cold water- damned yankees were running their yaps about the dumb hicks wearing wetsuits- until halfway through the trip they were blue bellies just like their ancestors
    That's my old stomping grounds as a kid. And still just a 45 minute ride away now. Long before they redid the river bed for the Olympics we used to float down that stretch of river on inner tubes. When they spun up that old generator the cold water would flow and it was COLD from the upper dam. The Ocoee is mountain fed from streams.
    The Hiwassee river isn't as popular, but when the generators are running at Townsend it will give you a good ride for a few miles. Fed from the Hiwassee dam in NC, and that is a cold lake year round. Water comes from a huge pipeline from the river below the dam to the generators. That river below the dam has some beautiful scenery for a nice kayak ride.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,250 Senior Member
    One thing I learned pretty quick about Colorado after 40 years in Louisiana. Every drop of water in this state that isn't ice wants to be. There's no such thing as a warm summer rain, leisurely float tube down the river, and even the indoor pools could give a duck pause.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 2,122 Senior Member
    tennmike said:
    If that was on the Ocoee River I bet those without wetsuits were really cold. That river is, or can be, cold in the summer, too.
    When I was a young man a group of us rafted the Nantahala River in North Carolina and then the Ocoee River the next day.  I remember the Nantahala being much colder than the Ocoee, but also much calmer.  It was in summer so the air temperature was in the '90's while the water temperature in the Nantahala was 45 degrees....no sleeping in that raft.

• DrawbarFlatsDrawbarFlats Posts: 788 Senior Member
    You're not a man until you wear one of these while listening to banjo music

Lewis-Medlock-Deliverance-Burt-Reynolds-Leather-Vest-1000x1000jpg 10001000