Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

Ruth Bader Ginsburg has passed

2»

Replies

• JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,121 Senior Member
    I believe that Trump has tweeted something along the lines of the only responsible thing to do is to fill the vacancy as soon as possible.  And, McConnel has stated any appointee will be taken up by the senate immediately.

The problem is that McConnel may not have a republican votes to approve Trump's pick.  Murkowsky ,AK(R), has already said she would not vote until the election is over.  Susan Collins of Maine is in a very tight race, and she would probably prefer not to have to vote on this at this time.  Gardner of Colorado is another one who may find re-election in peril if he votes.  Who the hell knows what that traitor Romney might do?  There may be others who don't wish to vote, including Graham, who is in a tight race.

In other words, the political reality is that it may not matter what the president or leader of the senate wants to do.  About the only thing that we can depend on is the dems banding together to vote against whomever Trump appoints, and that further unrest and political turmoil will ensue.  Trump's best approach may be to wait until after the election.  Even if he loses, but the Rs hold on to the senate, maybe those senators will stop any left wing loon from making it to the high court.

Regardless, this is just one more divisive issue that will be used to further split this country.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,121 Senior Member
    Here's something else to consider.  I wish I had thought of it, but have to give credit for reading it on a facebook post.

We now have  8 supreme court justices.  Four of them (Alito, Kavanaugh, Thomas and Gorsuch) are defnitely conservative constitutionalists.  Three (Breyer, Kagan and SotoMayor) are definitely liberal, activists.  The only one whose vote we can't depend on is Roberts.  

With Ginsburg in the mix, Roberts was often the swing vote.  That is no more.  So, if the election comes down to the supreme court deciding the winner, which was the case in 2000, we could have a 4-4 split.  This would take power away from Roberts, unless he votes with the 4 conservatives.

Hmmmmmmmmmm.........
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,911 Senior Member
    There's no surprises here.

The tug of war will be media blasted (like that phrase?) and the issue will become election grist.

Championing and roasting of potential candidates will fill some of the pre election void. 

Enjoy your Sunday political shows, and be happy we're not bored.......
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,454 Senior Member
    I doubt a justice will be selected and vetted by the Senate and confirmed this year. Looks like it's going to be a situation of the following: 2020 says to 2021 "Top this!" and 2021 says "Hold my beer and watch this!"
    Gonna be interesting
    And Ginsberg is on record as being a believer of Eugenics, and has had a hatred for the 2nd Amendment for decades. And she had no real love and reverence for the Constitution. Those three issues alone are enough to have made me loathe her existence, and her presence on the SCOTUS as a justice.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,148 Senior Member
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,454 Senior Member
    orchidman said:
    They just trying to buy some seats in the Congress. Nothing new there.

Just had an errant and crazy thought. If you get to come to the 2021 shoot, I hope the Civil War II is over by then.   :D
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,148 Senior Member
    tennmike said:
    orchidman said:
    They just trying to buy some seats in the Congress. Nothing new there.

Just had an errant and crazy thought. If you get to come to the 2021 shoot, I hope the Civil War II is over by then.   :D

Hmmmmmmmm :D
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,305 Senior Member
    Since Biden picked Harris for VP, Trump should float the name “Lewinski” for SCOTUS.  

Just to make people’s heads explode.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • DrawbarFlatsDrawbarFlats Posts: 788 Senior Member
    edited September 2020 #42