Home Main Category General Firearms

Bi-annual check-in, and revolver stuff.

JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior MemberPosts: 6,557 Senior Member
Hello, everyone.  Lots going on and little motivation to type it all, but all is well.

Me and my woman are going to WV in mid-october for our annual Appalachian trip.  We plan to hike and walk trails in a few remote areas.  I'll be toting my G19X for frail stuff and I made up a load for the 44mag for stuff that don't know when to quit.

It's 14.5gr A2400 under a 320gr FN hunk of lead.  It's rolling out about 1150-1200 fps.  All that is good.  What is odd (odd to me because I know diddly about wheel guns maybe?) Is at 25 yards it's 20" high, 15 yards about 15" high, 7 yards about 6" high.

And I'm not sure my rear right has enough downward movement left to regulate the sights.   I presumed to get them on at 15 yards, but I'm re-thinking that now.

Suggestions? Thoughts? Smart-alleck remarks?  I'm all ears.


“There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers

Replies

  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,152 Senior Member
    Taller front sight is in order. Excellent bullet choice, but 6” high in close?  Yeah, time to get on Brownell’s and make that puppy hit where it should.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,386 Senior Member
    Bottom out the sights and get back to us, BUT. . .

    Personally, I think there's zero call for a bullet that heavy.  Sticking with the same roughly .32" meplat, dropping the weight to about 250 grains, and keeping the recoil level the same will get the bullet out of the gun before the muzzle has had a chance to rise so much, will greatly flatten the trajectory, and with a harder alloy, it will still penetrate enough to end your problems with very large creatures.
    WWJMBD?

    "Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • joeg52joeg52 Member Posts: 102 Member
    Bigslug has the answer. The 320gr is too heavy to get out of the barrel before it rises that much. A good hard cast 240-250gr will do all you need and not require replacing sights.
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 6,330 Senior Member
    The fixes have already been explained.  Taller front sight or lighter bullet.  I just wanted to say hi and happy all is well with you.
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

    General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,891 Senior Member
    Good powder for 44mg cast lead bullets. I think I charge up with 18 to 20 grs under 240 gr LSWC's. Oregon Trail brand bullets. 

    Have a good trip. Guy named Bill Bryson wrote a book about hiking the Appalachian Trail. I recommend it.
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,557 Senior Member
    Thank you all for the information.  I had a suspicion recoil was playing part in the high shots.  320gr just seemed fun, haha.  And they are!

    Most places are out of bullets, unfortunately.  I have some factory 240gr stuff that I'll test and some 44spl loads I made up that I'll test as well.

    And I'll check out Bill Bryson's book about the Appalachia. 
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 4,067 Senior Member
    JasonMPD said:

    ...
    And I'll check out Bill Bryson's book about the Appalachia. 
    If you don't have time for a book, watch the movie it's funnier. 😁


    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,891 Senior Member
    Wow!
    I didn't even know there was a movie :)
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 4,067 Senior Member
    Wow!
    I didn't even know there was a movie :)

    It's a fun movie, nothing depressing about it. Just fun! 👍
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,813 Senior Member
    Nice to see your still kicking
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,386 Senior Member


    Some physical data for ya.

    230 grain LBT .45's with a .32 meplat.  Cast and water quenched to about 22-24 BHN.  Unfired left.  Fired at 830 FPS and recovered from NINTH milk jug on the right.  This is basically what the Army was looking at as a means of "decommissioning" the other guy's cavalry horse.

    A 250 grain .44 will have more weight, more speed, and higher sectional density, so again not really sure on the requirement to top 300 grains.

    Now, if you're gonna play subsonic loads - YEAH! - super heavy and pooted out at 800 fps is a crazy fun thing to do!
    WWJMBD?

    "Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,939 Senior Member
    Came across you in an old thread and was thinking about you last week, how is the civil unrest treating you, are you still working as an LEO?
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,557 Senior Member
    Bigslug said:


    Some physical data for ya.

    230 grain LBT .45's with a .32 meplat.  Cast and water quenched to about 22-24 BHN.  Unfired left.  Fired at 830 FPS and recovered from NINTH milk jug on the right.  This is basically what the Army was looking at as a means of "decommissioning" the other guy's cavalry horse.

    A 250 grain .44 will have more weight, more speed, and higher sectional density, so again not really sure on the requirement to top 300 grains.

    Now, if you're gonna play subsonic loads - YEAH! - super heavy and pooted out at 800 fps is a crazy fun thing to do!
    Excellent, and thank you.  When I can find those bullets (Cast Performance makes bullets I like using) I'll grab some and load em up.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,557 Senior Member
    CHIRO1989 said:
    Came across you in an old thread and was thinking about you last week, how is the civil unrest treating you, are you still working as an LEO?
    No rioting in my area yet, but also we haven't shot anyone in the catalyst group this year, so we'll see!  I'm a detective now, so I'm in comfy clothes now.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 6,330 Senior Member
    JasonMPD said:
    CHIRO1989 said:
    Came across you in an old thread and was thinking about you last week, how is the civil unrest treating you, are you still working as an LEO?
    No rioting in my area yet, but also we haven't shot anyone in the catalyst group this year, so we'll see!  I'm a detective now, so I'm in comfy clothes now.
    Good for you!  Congratulations 🍾 🥂
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

    General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

  • JaphyJaphy Posts: 68 Member
    JasonMPD said:
    Thank you all for the information.  I had a suspicion recoil was playing part in the high shots.  320gr just seemed fun, haha.  And they are!

    Most places are out of bullets, unfortunately.  I have some factory 240gr stuff that I'll test and some 44spl loads I made up that I'll test as well.

    And I'll check out Bill Bryson's book about the Appalachia. 
    The book is “A Walk In The Woods”
    there is a passage that is my absolute favorite. a large party of hikers commandeers a sleeping platform from our heroes. Not to let the jerks off they stage an early morning raid take all the boot laces and head down the trail. 
Sign In or Register to comment.
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Guns & Ammo stories delivered right to your inbox every week.

Advertisement