Home Main Category General Firearms

The most versatile powders you use?

knitepoetknitepoet Senior MemberPosts: 21,391 Senior Member
And what cartridges do you use them in?
For me

H4895
- All of the bottlenecked CF rifle cartridges I load, except 300BO.  223, 6.5 Grendel, 7x57, 308, 7.5x55, and 30-06

Hodgdon Li'l Gun - 357 Mag, 44 Mag, 50 Beowulf, 45-70, 300BO

Alliant Unique - 9x19, 38 spcl, 40SW, 10mm, 45ACP, 45 Colt

Honorable mentions goes to Ramshot TAC, I use it in most of the same cartridges as H4895 and Alliant Blue Dot, which can work in most of of my handgun loads

H4895  might not make the fastest load for a particular cartridge/bullet combo, however, it gives adequate velocity and is normally easy to work up an accurate load with. 

Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Replies

• JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,112 Senior Member
    Probably H4895 for me.  I'd have to check my reloading data, though, to make sure.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,152 Senior Member
    Unique is the winner on my bench. Pretty much any/every handgun I load for has a useable recipe for it.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,913 Senior Member
    H4895 and Varget are probably two of the most versitile rifle powders out there.  IMR3031 is probably pretty close. I don't use any one powder as a "go to" powder. I use what gives me the results I'm looking for. But one of those 3 powders is usually what's in my rifle cartridges.

For handgun, I've just never been a big fan of Unique. I have some and use it on occasion, but just can't love it. It's a jack of all trades, master of none. I tend to use Titegroup for a lot of my handgun stuff. If it's not that, it's Trail Boss for mild loads. For hot loads, I've stuck mostly with W296/H110. I do use Lil Gun in my 450 Bushmaster and have played with it in 454 Casull. I'd have to say Titegroup is my most commonly used pistol powder. I have about 11 pounds of it right now. Considering the tiny amount it usually takes per cartridge, that should last me a long while.
  • ilove22silove22s Senior Member Posts: 1,426 Senior Member
    VV N340.... I have planned to use it in all of my handguns.  researched more than actually used.  But in the ones i have, its not bad.

I do love Unique/Bullseye too, but decided to try and broaden my horizons.

The ears never lie.

- Don Burt
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,913 Senior Member
    I guess I'm a bit of a powder junkie... What's seen here is just what's up front.  There's more powder behind that. I've played with a lot of different powders, just to experiment. Lately, I've been working toward narrowing it down to what I really need to accomplish what I do. That would be narrowed down to H4895, IMR3031, IMR4350, H/IMR4198, Titegroup, Trail Boss, W296. I'm pretty sure I can make those do anything I need to get done...

• Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,927 Senior Member
    I have an eight pound jug of Unique! I use that stuff for everything, mostly pistol and straight wall rifle!! Next would be Trail Boss, again for the older stuff, my .40-65 loves it!! Next up most used is IMR 3031 and 4350.
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,883 Senior Member
    Unique 357mg 38spl 44mg 44spl 45colt
    Trail Boss all the above plus low recoil rifle rounds.
    IMR 4064 30-06 308win
    W231 45acp
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,298 Senior Member
    TrailBoss.  it can literally be used in any chambering.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,088 Senior Member
    Varget...works in everything I own from .223 to .45-70..
    Except for the .300 W.M. which gets RL22
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,250 Senior Member
    The most versatile powder I've ever used was Varget. It worked well in everything I used it in, but was exceptional in nothing, so I've not used any in years.  For the most part, I use Ramshot XTerminator for the .22s, H4350 for the 6mms, and RL22 for larger stuff.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • pjames777pjames777 Senior Member Posts: 1,421 Senior Member
    Unique, Power Pistol, Trail Boss, AR-15, H4895, VHT N-340
  • ojrojr Senior Member Posts: 1,120 Senior Member
    AR2209 [H4850]- 30 06, 9.3.62, 6.5x55
    AR 2208 [Varget] 223,308, 9.3x62
    AR 2217 [H1000] 6.5 06
    AR 2213sc [ H4831] 6.5 06
    AR2206H [H4895] 223, 22 250
    The flight was uneventful, which is what one wants when one is transporting an Elephant.
     Reuters, Dec 2020.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,143 Senior Member
    Jay said:
    I guess I'm a bit of a powder junkie... What's seen here is just what's up front.  There's more powder behind that. I've played with a lot of different powders, just to experiment. Lately, I've been working toward narrowing it down to what I really need to accomplish what I do. That would be narrowed down to H4895, IMR3031, IMR4350, H/IMR4198, Titegroup, Trail Boss, W296. I'm pretty sure I can make those do anything I need to get done...

SOOOOOO thats why there is no powder available in stores   :)
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,510 Senior Member
    H4350
    Trail Boss
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • ojrojr Senior Member Posts: 1,120 Senior Member
    oops , Thank you
    Ar2209 H4350
    Not 4850.
    Cheers.
    The flight was uneventful, which is what one wants when one is transporting an Elephant.
     Reuters, Dec 2020.
  • kansashunterkansashunter Senior Member Posts: 1,859 Senior Member
    I use titegroup the most, it works in the ones I load the most of, 9mm and 45acp. I like it because it meters better than some I have tried and seems to preform fine for target loads. In rifles I have such an odd collection that it seems I end up using something different in each one. I use RL 19 and 22 the most or the most of it anyway. I have some powder I have yet to open, when the shortage ended last time I started buying what I could get if there was something I could load it in. I will use it someday.