Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

Surprise, surprise. Trump nominates Amy Coney Barrett

JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior MemberPosts: 8,121 Senior Member
Actually, if you are surprised, you just haven't been paying attention.

The dems will throw everything they have at her, and may even try to impeach Trump for whatever excuse they can manufacture.  However, it appears that Romney and probably Murkowsky will vote, and Barrett will be confirmed.

The main issue they will attack is her position on abortion, and Row v. Wade.  However, as far as I know, she has not stated anywhere on record how she would vote on this IF it made it to the supreme court.  She is a devout catholic, and holds strong pro-life views, but has said she will let not her personal beliefs interfere with interpreting the law and constitution, much unlike the person she is succeeding.

At least the media will have something to panic over other than covid.
Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.

Replies

• BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,395 Senior Member
    I think this one may be fun to watch.

The Dems kinda blew their partisan wad with Kavanaugh, and my thinking at the time was that the path they were on would turn a lot of voters against them.  If they want to repeat that behavior a month before the election, I'm all in favor.

WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,911 Senior Member
    edited September 2020 #3
    I think this is all as it should be. The press is trying paint it as historic. It may be, but its also historically common. Going all the way back to the beginning of our government.

The process, the timing, and the pick are all just fine with me.

I do reserve the right to call out all those that yelled foul in 2016 for the mealy mouthed, two faced, double talking, partisan pie hockers they are.

The upcoming drama is not new or unique in comparison with any past time of hightened contention. 

Well done I think. Well done.

• DrawbarFlatsDrawbarFlats Posts: 788 Senior Member
    edited September 2020 #4
    Bigslug said:

The Dems kinda blew their partisan wad with Kavanaugh...

Gee, ... ya think so? ... chuckle
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 6,375 Senior Member
    I think this is all as it should be. The press is trying paint it as historic. It may be, but its also historically common. Going all the way back to the beginning of our government.

The process, the timing, and the pick are all just fine with me.

I do reserve the right to call out all those that yelled foul in 2016 for the mealy mouthed, two faced, double talking, partisan pie hockers they are.

The upcoming drama is not new or unique in comparison with any past time of hightened contention. 

Well done I think. Well done.

In 2014 a Republican Senate majority was elected BY THE PEOPLE and put in place to stop an incompetent president from doing further damage to this country.  That’s the definition of a Lame Duck in case you need to Google it.  It’s how it works when you have a system of checks and balances.

In 2020 we have a Republican Majority elected BY THE PEOPLE and put in place to SUPPORT the President to keep his promise of filling the courts with conservative judges.  Should be easy to understand.  And the insults are not appreciated since there is a MARKED difference between the two, even if you don’t see it.  You might want to brush up on basic civics.
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,396 Senior Member
    edited September 2020 #6
    Since the court is going to lean conservative, local news just said that democrats are offering up a bill to impose a term limit of 18 years for SCOTUS justices.

Imagine that 
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,156 Senior Member
    knitepoet said:
    Since the court is going to lean conservative, local news just said that democrats are offering up a bill to impose a term limit of 18 years for SCOTUS justices.

Imagine that 
    Just think, a term limit brought up by a bunch of politicians that have spent their entire adult life in office. Funny they come up with 18 and not 20 years.  20 years is the minimum number for a decent retirement.  Losing that much money would make the position unattractive to anyone not already filthy rich
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    The insults are directed at the politicians. Not at anyone here. 

No marked difference IMO. 
    More rhetorical mumbojumbo to justify whatever's in need of it.

The nomination and confirmation is right and good. Both times. Minus the excessive contention.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,396 Senior Member
    edited September 2020 #9
    Found an articles on CNN's site about the term limit bill
    https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/25/politics/house-democrats-bill-supreme-court-term-limits/index.html

"We can't face a national crisis every time a vacancy occurs on the Supreme Court," Khanna said in a statement Friday. " No justice should feel the weight of an entire country on their shoulders. No president should be able to shift the ideology of our highest judicial body by mere chance."

Funny how it's only a "national crisis" when there's a conservative president, and I bolded the part of the quote that REALLY gets to the heart of the matter
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Maybe CNN is a national crisis? Maybe in need of a term limit.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,100 Senior Member
    But,but...she's a CATHOLIC! and she adopted Hatian children! Colonialist!.....Oh, the humanity!
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,951 Senior Member
    Justices have term limits, as long as they have "good" behavior, they can serve, if not, the legislative branch can remove them, as they have several times.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 6,375 Senior Member
    Jayhawker said:
    But,but...she's a CATHOLIC! and she adopted Hatian children! Colonialist!.....Oh, the humanity!
    The Hindu (fake black) ex-slave owner is good to go for VP though...
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• JaphyJaphy Posts: 68 Member
    just watch a ruthless assault on ACB
  • pjames777pjames777 Senior Member Posts: 1,421 Senior Member
    knitepoet said:

Imagine that 
    Since Democrats don't read/know the Constitution they're in for a lesson in civics.  Dumb asses.
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,121 Senior Member
    Based on what I have been seeing, it seems the left will paint her as someone who wants to abolish Obamacare, and take away your health insurance.  No matter that Roberts had to be extremely creative in interpreting the law to find a reason to vote for it.

I think they may leave her religion and personal views on abortion alone, as it may blow up in their collective faces.
    Jerry

• BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,395 Senior Member
    I think they may leave her religion and personal views on abortion alone, as it may blow up in their collective faces.
    I'm not sure that they have a choice.  Right now they are having to decide on whether they want to win the next four years or the next 40. 

But as I have often said, I am perfectly happy to sit and watch them burn their party to the ground in they eyes of anything even resembling a moderate voter.  The mud they sling at Trump at least sticks for some because, right or wrong, Trump is not the most likeable of people.  Thus far on ACB all they seem to have is the Catholic/Pro-Life card - and if she's a REAL constitutionalist, that won't matter a bit.

WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • Vic's ViewpointVic's Viewpoint Senior Member Posts: 1,196 Senior Member
    CHIRO1989 said:
    Justices have term limits, as long as they have "good" behavior, they can serve, if not, the legislative branch can remove them, as they have several times.
    CHIRO1989 said:

Really?  I didn't know that, and have never heard of it.  I always thought a Supreme Court appointment was a lifetime sinecure and above the realities of rough-and-tumble partisan politics.
    Member formerly known as "vlafrank."
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,121 Senior Member
    I think that any federal judge can be impeached and removed from office.  Maybe that's what Scott was implying.
    Jerry

• tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,454 Senior Member
    I see all y'all dancing around that 'Colonialist' jab. I'll call it what it is; a reference to a slave owner. Talk about a dog whistle to ruffle the feathers of Biden's base. Dems are getting desperate and despicable, again, and attacking the children of a nominee. That's sick, gutless, and totally uncalled for.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,951 Senior Member
    edited September 2020 #21
    CHIRO1989 said:
    CHIRO1989 said:

Really?  I didn't know that, and have never heard of it.  I always thought a Supreme Court appointment was a lifetime sinecure and above the realities of rough-and-tumble partisan politics.
    We are watching this series at a church Bible study, this is the episode on the judicial branch. It is about 28 minutes. 

I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,454 Senior Member
    For what it's worth, John Jay, the first Chief Justice of the Supreme Court, was nominated for the position by President George Washington on Sept. 24, 1789, and was UNANIMOUSLY CONFIRMED BY CONGRESS on Sept. 26, 1789. This was before partisan politics poisoned the watering hole for good.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams