Home Main Category General Firearms

My friend bought this ..what can you tell me about it?

2»

Replies

• SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 4,394 Senior Member
    Hollow points designed for hunting or defense are meant to expand if you push them fast enough and there aren't to many barriers between you and the target. Not all hollow points are created equal! Some work well over a wide range of velocities and situations, others, not so much. Finally, there's hollow points designed primarily for accuracy (mostly available to reloaders).
    The one above is a HAP bullet (Hornady Action Pistol). Not meant  for defense or hunting but for accuracy.
    Just stick with factory loads meant for defense and you'll be fine.
    Remember to test your wonder bullets for function and Reliability when you get home.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    First off, nothing wrong with a Mossberg shotgun for HD.  It's just the pistol grip that isn' a good idea.

HP's for HD are always a good idea.

Mike
    I have two shotguns for HD. Both loaded with 2 3/4" high brass  shells with1 oz.  slugs. One is a Rem 870 with 8+1 mag tube and the other is a Mossberg 500. Don't care for buckshot. I live way out in the country with no other houses to worry about. And seeing what they do on deer make me feel comfortable in that choice of round.
    I still have about 300 rounds of 00 buck I used for dogs chasing cattle, but I don't have cattle anymore.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,831 Senior Member
    edited October 2020 #34
    I bought one of those back in the 80's and it came with the same stupid hand grip. I shot it once and realized it was stupid, so I bought an M-16 style stock with pistol grip combo, and it works just fine....no control problems at all.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!