Home Main Category Clubhouse

Columbus Day or Indigenous Peoples Day?

JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior MemberPodunk, Tx.Posts: 8,227 Senior Member
Personally, I don't care.  It's a day off for me, which is what matters.

Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.

Replies

• LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Colorado SpringsPosts: 7,823 Senior Member
    I'll be getting sprayed with red-hot metal chips either way. Never had Columbus Day off, and don't expect that changing the name to Indigenous Peoples Day will change that much.

OTOH, if they want to change it to Greasy Dead Gopher Guts Day and I get it off.....hell yeah.....let's change it.

Other than that, I have no interest in the matter at all. I'm insensitive that way.

Mike

"Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
    I’m off and I prefer to celebrate winners 😁
  • Some_MookSome_Mook Posts: 620 Senior Member
    Actually, if it got changed to Indigenous Peoples Day, the talking heads in Congress might keep the date as a Federal Holiday.  My fear is that they will exchange that Federal Holiday for June 19.  Columbus Day is not an FCA Corporate Holiday, so while I don't have the day off, I get to work and earn a days wages.  As a contract employee, I get no paid holidays so I would much rather be working.  June 19 would absolutely become a Corporate Holiday and I would then lose a days wages that I do not lose with either Columbus Day / Indigenous Peoples day as it stands. 
    "If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace." - Thomas Paine
    "I know my place in the world and it ain’t standing next to Jerry Miculek" - Zee
  • DrawbarFlatsDrawbarFlats Posts: 788 Senior Member
    Considering that Asia and Alaska were once connected by a land bridge shouldn't it be Russian Peoples Day?
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Merrritt Island, FLPosts: 25,222 Senior Member
    Why not both? But the only people who get it off are banks...
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
    Considering that Asia and Alaska were once connected by a land bridge shouldn't it be Russian Peoples Day?
    Then again, all Humans originated in Africa soooo.... should it just be Immigrants Day?
  • NNNN Senior Member NCPosts: 25,221 Senior Member
    I always got it off except in Vietnam and on ship. Now it does not matter, all days are off.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 9,705 Senior Member
    Given that Columbus never actually set foot on the North American continent. I'm not exactly sure why it's even a thing.

How about "Pirate Base Camp Discovery Day"?
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Manistee Natl ForestPosts: 18,291 Senior Member
    As the only Irishman on the Reservation this week...I vote for the Indigenous Peoples thing...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Global NomadPosts: 6,073 Senior Member
    I'm not too choosy on the subject. I do know some folks of Native American descent who I think would appreciate the recognition.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Under a logPosts: 27,457 Senior Member
    Only thing I cared about Columbus Day back at the nuke plant was that I got paid 8 hours if I wasn't there, and time and a half plus 8 hours if I had to  work the holiday. And if I got forced to the next shift I got double time pay. Made a nice payday for Unca Sam and the deadbeats that wouldn't work as taste testers in a pie factory when they hit me with the taxes on the extra loot I made. 

Anyway, the first voyage of Columbus was nothing but a huge scam on his part. He set off not knowing where the devil he was going, when he got there he still didn't know where he was at, and when he went home he couldn't tell them a lot because he didn't know where he'd been. And they sent him back again! :D:D:D 
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • Lonewolf-PeruLonewolf-Peru Member Lima, PeruPosts: 716 Senior Member
    tennmike said:

Anyway, the first voyage of Columbus was nothing but a huge scam on his part. He set off not knowing where the devil he was going, when he got there he still didn't know where he was at, and when he went home he couldn't tell them a lot because he didn't know where he'd been. And they sent him back again! :D:D:D 
    And the Government paid the expenses
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Between Ft Lauderdale and MiamiPosts: 12,564 Senior Member
    tennmike said:

And the Government paid the expenses 

He must have been a Democrat
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    Since my DNA report shows I’m 11% Native American and 11% African I demand my own Mutt Day...
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Podunk, Tx.Posts: 8,227 Senior Member
    GunNut said:
    Since my DNA report shows I’m 11% Native American and 11% African I demand my own Mutt Day...
    I'd be all for a Heinz 57 Day.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
    GunNut said:
    I'd be all for a Heinz 57 Day.
    Perfect!!! 🍾🥂
  • 1hogfan831hogfan83 Member Posts: 347 Member
    How about a “Columbus brought back Syphilis” day and call it a draw?! 
    "Well he shoulda armed him self" William Munney-Unforgiven"
    "You believe there is one God, that is good, even the demons believe and shudder in fear" James 2:19