Home Main Category General Firearms

Henry Rifles - .22LR American Beauty or Big Boy .45 Colt - Which to buy?

AimcatAimcat Posts: 23 New Member
Adding to our gun collection and do not yet own a lever action. Of these 2 Henry rifles which would you recommend? These are the same price. What would you suggest? 

Replies

• bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,454 Senior Member
    Depends on what you want to do with it.  If it’s just a plinker- go 22.  If you want it to match up with a revolver in .45Colt, or possibly use it for medium game hunting... go with the 45.

If you cant decide- get both!
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • AimcatAimcat Posts: 23 New Member
    Really just target shooting, plinking. 
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,155 Senior Member
    Definitely the .2LR then.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
    The .22 looks like a fine gun just kinda fancy after I saw it in person. The .45 colt looks maybe a little more fun. I dunno.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,555 Senior Member
    Ruger recently acquired the Marlin brand out of Remington's bankruptcy settlement and their CEO finished his press release with "Long live the lever action!"

So, you may again have 39A and 1894/95 options soon that are made out of STEEL.

Just sayin'.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
    Is a .22LR rifle or revolver/handgun more fun?
  • JunkCollectorJunkCollector Posts: 693 Senior Member
    Aimcat said:
    It is more a Cost of ammo for plinking/economics thing.

The 2 cartridges you mention are just apples and oranges.
    It's more like a grape and watermelon.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,555 Senior Member
    Aimcat said:
    Both are fun.  Rifle is fun with less work.  .22 rifles are my mindless fun.  .22 handguns are more cerebral fun.

Truth is, I consider both utterly essential to maintaining skills.  .22's are cheap to feed and the only thing missing is the noise and recoil - all the other fundamentals of lining up shots and pressing triggers are the same. 
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 2,122 Senior Member
    The answer to your question is "Yes!"  (That's what you get for asking a bunch of enablers that kind of question)  :D

I have a Henry .22LR lever gun (Ok, technically it's my wife's) and I can confirm it is tons of cheap fun at the range.  As to the Big Boy .45 Colt, I do not have one so I can't speak to that one.
    I know .22 ammo is cheap but I am guessing .45 is harder to find and not as cheap?
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,289 Senior Member
    Aimcat said:
    I know .22 ammo is cheap but I am guessing .45 is harder to find and not as cheap?
    Not nowadays...  .22 is nearly impossible to find.   I CAN find .45s.
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,289 Senior Member
    Bigslug said:
    Aimcat said:
    Both are fun.  Rifle is fun with less work.  .22 rifles are my mindless fun.  .22 handguns are more cerebral fun.

Truth is, I consider both utterly essential to maintaining skills.  .22's are cheap to feed and the only thing missing is the noise and recoil - all the other fundamentals of lining up shots and pressing triggers are the same. 
    I wonder if Ruger will start investment casting the receivers?  That would allow for great quality while keeping the costs reasonable.  Maybe we’ll see a $500 39?
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• FreezerFreezer Senior Member Posts: 1,932 Senior Member
    I have a Browning lever action 22 and a Ruger Single Six 22 cal with nice holster. I can't have more fun with my cloths on and they're cheap to shoot! Get the Henry 22 and a Ruger Single Six! 

After you have fun with them buy the Big Boy 45 Colt and a Ruger Black Hawk in 45 Colt. 

Why have a fun lever gun without it's companion?

I like Elmer Keith; I married his daughter :wink:
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,140 Senior Member
    Aimcat said:
    No offense intended, but it seems like your experience with firearms is limited. Re-group and come back with more suggestions.  
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,454 Senior Member
    Gene L said:
    Aimcat said:
    No offense intended, but it seems like your experience with firearms is limited. Re-group and come back with more suggestions.  
    Gene, aimcat is coming HERE to learn more and “regroup” as you say.  Please try and help new people instead of scaring them off, mmmmmmkay?
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,140 Senior Member
    I guess, b-eye.  But there is a baseline of basic knowledge, like knowing the difference between a .22 LR and a .45 Colt.  Not trying to scare anyone off, just communication on a level where we can help.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • ilove22silove22s Senior Member Posts: 1,452 Senior Member
    edited October 2020 #18
    if you dont have a 22 in your collection, you need one.  Any type of action will do.

with regards to more fun????

some suggestions...

> go find a gun rental range and try all the various actions you can.   That way you will have 1st hand knowledge of what "more fun" is to you..  We dont know.

> sorry to say it, but "more fun" is relative.  some people will like to dive head first into a shallow river and it maybe fun on the way down.  Some people use drugs for "more fun" ...some people like to drive as fast as they can for "more fun".  I think you get the idea, but do some real life playing with the various toys and get and idea for yourself.   Even if it costs you some $$ it will be money well spent.

> if you have any friends that shoot, ask them.   If they will take you out to shoot and try their toys is a different question.  But it wont hurt to ask.

with regards to 22 vs 45 ammo?

> you need to look at what is available where you live.  It makes no difference on what i say or someone else says.  where i live, most of the shops are out of 22 and 45 and everything in between.  So, go look at what is available where yo live and use that info.  Also ,while you are there, look at the prices and see what is affordable for you to shoot.

some people poo-poo 22s.  but when ammo is hard to find or Center Fire (CF) are expensive to buy, then 22s are a good backup toy.  Some people learn this after the fact.   But all collections should have at least 1 22.

good luck
    The ears never lie.

- Don Burt
  • AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,857 Senior Member
    Only problem I see with the Henry american Beauty is the receiver finish. Since their .22LR line has receivers made of Zamac (Usually badmouthed as "pot metal") at least mine plain H001 model has a painted receiver cover with an anodized reciever underbelly, and such "fancy" silvery finish my end up wearing out with use.

Nothing bad if you consider its price. Mine has taken a beating in quite a few hunting trips and it's still perfectly solid, fully operational and VERY accurate with its open sights and bulk ammo; also Henry apparently has a fantastic CS department if any probrems appear. 

If you can live with this, go for the .22LR; if looking for a classic all steel lever gun you better save more money and go for an used winchester 94/22 or a Marlin 39a. also you can buy a new Browning BL-22.

A .22LR rifle or handgun? That depends on your personal tastes AND the shooting spaces availability. Here in the city most ranges are indoor with 16-26 yards lines so a rifle has little use there. In open spaces you can enjoy a rifle more since it's also relatively easier to hit stuff with them.

.22LR or .45 Colt? I'd say get the more versatile .22LR first, specially for plinking and if you don't reload.
    Personally I'd get another brand of .45 Colt (Winchester, Uberti, Marlin or Rossi) because those Henrys are loaded from the front and not with the classic receiver side door; can stand it for rimfires but not for big bore rifles.