Home Main Category Clubhouse

Typical November weather in Colorado/Wyoming/Nebraska?

10canyon5310canyon53 MemberCentral FLPosts: 2,122 Senior Member
Those of you who live in the area, what is typical November weather like?  Looks like I may have to take a business trip to Crawford, NE in about three weeks.  I was considering flying in to Denver and driving up I-25 to Cheyenne then cutting over towards Nebraska on US 85.  Any potential weather obstacles this time of year?

Replies

• Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Eastern NebraskaPosts: 8,155 Senior Member
    Nebraska gets cold in a hurry most Novembers, but snow usually isn’t an issue until the top of December. Be ready for cold rain though.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Central FLPosts: 2,122 Senior Member
    Thanks!  Just that quickly this trip has gone from tentative to booked.  According to the topographic map I looked at it appears that my route will stay pretty much East of the mountains and in the plains.  Is this correct?
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 4,753 Senior Member
    Yep, looks like north on I-25 to orin Wyoming then east on hwy 20 into Nebraska. You will see the mountains all the way north but won't be driving in them. Any free time on ether end of your trip? I'm not far off of I-25 north of Denver if you have time for a coffee. 
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Colorado SpringsPosts: 7,821 Senior Member
    That is correct.  I-25 from Denver to Cheyenne is well east of the mountains. However, be aware fall weather in this area is very, very psychotic. We had our first snowfall here in Colorado Springs a month ago, one day after a record high temp for that day.

A few years ago, I made a run to Costco, which was 4 miles due north of my house. As I pulled out of my driveway, a few tiny snowflakes hit my windshield. 45 minutes later, on the drive back, the road was a solid inch thick in ice.

Don't mean to scare you, but if you rent a car in Denver in November, make sure it's AWD. Doesn't have to be a big friggin' truck, but it's way more better to have all 4 wheels pulling than 2 pushing or pulling should the need arise.

I saw a Weather Channel documentary a couple of years back that stated the Front Range of the Rockies is one of the toughest places on Earth to predict the weather, due to the very abrupt elevation change from the flat plains to 14K feet mountains. Most mountain ranges reach their peaks gradually. Not here.....you go from Nebraska/Kansas flat to 14K in your face within 15 miles.

1st day of summer 2019, Steamboat Springs (a populated town by this states standards) got 22 inches of snow.

Don't be scared....be a Boy Scout. Be Prepared. 

Mike

"Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Podunk, Tx.Posts: 8,227 Senior Member
    edited October 2020 #6
    Novembers in Colorado are usually cold, especially at night and early morning.  During the day, it may warm up to as high as the 60s, depending on how high you are in altitude.  It may snow, or it may not.  Chances are good that it will, especially in the high country.

If you're driving, be prepared for cold, snow packed or icy road conditions.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
    sakodude said:
    Yep, looks like north on I-25 to orin Wyoming then east on hwy 20 into Nebraska. You will see the mountains all the way north but won't be driving in them. Any free time on ether end of your trip? I'm not far off of I-25 north of Denver if you have time for a coffee. 
    If I were traveling alone I would make the attempt but I will be traveling with 3 coworkers.  On the way in we all land around 9 am and hit the road North.  We will be on a job site so how much time we will have on the other end is unknown.  We will be traveling back to Denver on Thursday, staying near the airport and flying out Friday morning.
    That is correct.  I-25 from Denver to Cheyenne is well east of the mountains. However, be aware fall weather in this area is very, very psychotic. We had our first snowfall here in Colorado Springs a month ago, one day after a record high temp for that day.

A few years ago, I made a run to Costco, which was 4 miles due north of my house. As I pulled out of my driveway, a few tiny snowflakes hit my windshield. 45 minutes later, on the drive back, the road was a solid inch thick in ice.

Don't mean to scare you, but if you rent a car in Denver in November, make sure it's AWD. Doesn't have to be a big friggin' truck, but it's way more better to have all 4 wheels pulling than 2 pushing or pulling should the need arise.

I saw a Weather Channel documentary a couple of years back that stated the Front Range of the Rockies is one of the toughest places on Earth to predict the weather, due to the very abrupt elevation change from the flat plains to 14K feet mountains. Most mountain ranges reach their peaks gradually. Not here.....you go from Nebraska/Kansas flat to 14K in your face within 15 miles.

1st day of summer 2019, Steamboat Springs (a populated town by this states standards) got 22 inches of snow.

Don't be scared....be a Boy Scout. Be Prepared. 

Mike

We have a large SUV (Tahoe, Suburban or similar) reserved (4 big guys + luggage + tools).  Most of the ones I have rented in the past have had 4wd, I will try to make sure it does this time as well.
    Better to have it and not need it than vise-versa.

And our mantra (as in any icy/snow-laden state)...."4WD doesn't mean 4 wheel stop".

Likely does't apply to you, but I thought I'd throw that out there. Most winter condition wrecks here are rear-ends, or sliding through intersections.

Mike

N454casull
    The coworker who I assigned to rent the vehicle lives in Dallas and is originally from Puerto Rico......if we see ice or snow I may take over the driving duties.  :D
    Yes, I live in Florida but I spent two winters in Wisconsin working as a school bus driver.  My tactic for driving in slippery conditions is to follow a semi.  I know I can stop faster than he can and if there is anything in the road to hit he will clear it out for me.
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 4,753 Senior Member
    maybe if your luck the fires will be out by then and you will actually see the mountains...terrible here tonight.
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Global NomadPosts: 6,071 Senior Member
    Rule of thumb for visiting Colorado: Pack for all four seasons, year round. 
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
    I survived.  Got home yesterday afternoon.  We finished at the job site a day early and decided to take advantage of where we were.

Good deal. 40+ mph winds in Colorado Springs right now, with 60+ expected by sundown.

Tomorrow's expected to be nice, though.

Mike
    N454casull
    It was snowing when we left Chadron, NE Thursday morning headed back to Denver.  Back here in Central Florida today it was in the low to mid '80's and partly sunny, no wind.  Went for a motorcycle ride.  B)
    You wouldn't want to be on a 2-wheeler here tonight! Glad you made it back safe and sound.

Mike
    N454casull