.38 Special - Terminal Performance.

2»

Replies

• GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
    Spk said:
    GunNut said:
    Zee said:
    185gr GD @1,125 fps
    Perfect!  I’ve been waiting for this one.

Right up there with a good Buffalo Bore +P load. Waiting for this test also. Those GoldDots should work just fine. 👍
    I hope so.  I’ve been betting my bacon carrying those in my 1911s for years with no “science” behind my choice.  My cousin did roll a good sized hog with his XP loaded with those so there is that.  Single shot.
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 4,746 Senior Member
    GunNut said:
    Spk said:
    GunNut said:
    Zee said:
    185gr GD @1,125 fps
    Perfect!  I’ve been waiting for this one.

Right up there with a good Buffalo Bore +P load. Waiting for this test also. Those GoldDots should work just fine. 👍
    I hope so.  I’ve been betting my bacon carrying those in my 1911s for years with no “science” behind my choice.  My cousin did roll a good sized hog with his XP loaded with those so there is that.  Single shot.
    The good thing about most handguns these days is, "there's more where that came from." 😁
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• mitdr774mitdr774 Member Posts: 1,772 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    You trying to spend my money?!?  😁
    I did play with .358 bullets in a 77/357, but they were a single load only affair.  Would still be interesting to see with 180-220gr bullets though.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,580 Senior Member
    I have a .357 Mag H&R Rifle. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 9,410 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    You trying to spend my money?!?  😁
    Hey - I'm no longer behind the counter.  Gotta keep my hand in somehow.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • mitdr774mitdr774 Member Posts: 1,772 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    I have a .357 Mag H&R Rifle. 
    That is perfect for testing lower impact velocities for .358 bullets then.
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,992 Senior Member
    My observation, for what it's worth...  I don't know the barrel length of your Rossi, handgun?  4 inches?  You might get 1000 fps from it.  Depending on the lead hardness and jacket, that's just not fast enough to "splash" the lead on impact and create an energy dump.  Hence, you hit a rib on both sides and the bullet still did a through and through.  It's so counter intuitive, but slower lead bullets penetrate more than faster ones.  Either you need softer lead, a bigger hollow point, more velocity, or a combo of them.  Even then, I am sure you would not drop a 130 lb pig with a single shot.

As always great shooting, amazing autopsy and analysis.  Thanks for posting it up.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,580 Senior Member
    Probably correct on all three. 

About a 2” barrel. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • KMT2KMT2 Member Posts: 373 Member
    Zee, Im thinking for Science it should be done!

Thanks for the photos and story. Even with my 200 pound hog with the 450 marlin load it took three rounds to finally stop it moving. Though the first really did take it out.

If you think OHSA is a little town in Wisconsin you may be in trouble!
    Peace is firing my guns or 60 feet below the surface of the water.