Home Main Category General Firearms

Took the daughter to a high power match

VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior MemberPosts: 7,565 Senior Member
I didnt get pics, there were only 2 relays so I was scoring and helping.
Her first time ever shooting an AR across the course. First time in at least 2 years shooting anything in competition on her hind feet, and she probably put more rounds downrange than she did in the last 2 years on that day.
She totaled out with a 339-1x out of 500 and a big smile. Took about 3 to pull her head out standing, then she did OK. They were all on the paper. Sitting was not great she dropped everything to the left, it was position. She gets a pass because it was the first sitting rapid she ever shot. Again, all on the paper. Prone rapid were low, but she still shot in the 80's . At 600, everything scored and the wind was a bear. First shot was a 6 at 5 oclock. I kept telling her to put elevation and wind on, she didnt want to grab the knobs and twist at first so her first string was in the 60's, her next string was in the low 80's though. That is common. "But it is set at 13!!" "I dont care if it is set to 27 if the bullets are hitting in the middle, turn the knob!!"
So she wanted to come to my house to clean her rifle. I had built her upper with a decent but regualr bbl, and put a Vortex that was OK on it, and told her that would get her started if she wanted to shoot matches. She had shot it a few times prior. While she was cleaning her rifle, I took the scope of my free floated match upper, and put my vortex PST on it. Then told her to clean her new upper with her new scope. :) She should get 3-5000 rounds out of it before barrel wear catches up to her ability. Then I took a RRA service rifle trigger and installed it in  her lower. I mounted my NF on a new upper that I have had in the safe just in case something like this happened :) or something happened to my upper while shooting.
I shot a midrange match on Sat. Mixed Fclass, F sling (?) match rifle, and service rifle. 3, 20 round matches all at 600. First was a 194, second was 191, third was 191 out of 200. I may have figured out a problem or 2. I talked to a guy who has shot HP for 40 years, about the errant high right 8 I have been getting. He said to move my hand into the grip, so that I was pulling the trigger just in front of the second joint because the AR grip to trigger is real short. I tried it and while odd at first, it takes the pressure off the back of my hand, there is no strain there now.

On Sun for the EIC across the course, I ended up with a 469-12x. 90 on the hind feet, unfortunately my avg, but I started with shooting a freaking 7 so overall OK, cleaned sitting rapid at 200 (100 out of a possible 100), 98 at 300 prone rapid, then the wind kicked my butt at 600. I lost 19 points and I wasnt alone. Wind from the left, then the right, then gust from the rear, then the front..... I would shoot a 9 at 9 oclock, put a half minute on and by the time I was in the rifle the wind was blowing the other way and I put up a 9 at 3 oclock. I would get the same condition after a 10 and a gust would hit from behind and I would get a 9 high. It was exasperating.

It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.

Replies