Home Main Category Hunting

First Deer of 2020 Season - Little Man & 6.5 Creedmoor

ZeeZee Senior MemberPosts: 28,060 Senior Member
My buddy is desperate to lower his deer numbers and wanted me to get on with using the MLD Permits. Even in this stupid heat!
Took the boy to a stand Monday afternoon to try out and practice with a new test system I wanted him to use. Normally we utilize a SpecRest. But, it’s big and bulky and he ain’t so little anymore. So, I wanted more room in the blind and tried a tripod with Pig Saddle. Improvised by placing the bipod on the shelf and used the tripod as a rear rear. Pretty stable but not very fast to move left/right and up/down. He figured it out, though. 

Left the tripod there and planned to come back in the morning. 
I worked nights that night, got home at 4A, power napped, and woke him up at 6A to go hunting. And he was tired?

A slow morning. We saw a few non-shooters in the sendaros and at the feeder. Was getting ready to call it at 8:30 when a spike showed up. Game on!
Being low man on the totem pole, he was getting chased around by everyone else so wouldn’t stand still long. Boy was having Hell following him around with the rest set up. 
Finally, the deer turned broadside and I quickly said, “Behind the leg.”
”Ppppppfffffffttttttt!” The gun fired. 
"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

Replies

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 28,060 Senior Member
    edited October 2020 #2

The spikes legs buckled and he almost fell down. Lurching forward in a hunched run, he went about 15 yards and stopped. Stood for a second or two and stumbled forward, falling to the ground. 

After the shot. 

First deer with his new rifle and first deer with a 6.5 Creedmoor. Proud of the young man. 
    He has now used several cartridges to take deer. 
    .223 Remington
    .243 Winchester
    6.5 Creedmoor
    .260 Remington
    .308 Winchester

The boy can shoot them all. 

When I walked up to the deer, I saw liver hanging out the exit hole, which in itself was rather large. I couldn’t figure out how the exit was so far back when the entrance was behind the shoulder. 
    Looking at the video, I realized that the Buck’s off side leg was forward and on side slightly back. Putting him at a slight Quarter towards. My boy put the round where I told him. But, I should have had him place it in front of the on side. My bad. Not his. It was just so frustrating as much as he was moving around, when he finally turned broadside and stopped a second........I just wanted him to send it. 

6.5 Creedmoor 
    147gr ELD-M
    2,659 fps MV
    85 yards (approx)
    Quartering To
    15 yrds ATS

Entrance. 

Passed through the lower/back of the left lung, through the diaphragm, destroyed half the liver, and exited the off side. 

What’s amazing is the hydrostatic/temp cavity damage to the lungs!!!  

A few pieces of kit that continue to be absolute life savers and worth their in expensive price. 

Make wicked quick work of a carcass. 

So, the first one for this season is in the freezer. Mixed it with that pig I got last weekend with the .38 Spl. 

One down........many more to go. I think the Little Man is going to have a busy season. 

• sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 4,753 Senior Member
    Your son is living the life!! Nicely done and congrats to the fine young hunter.
    sakodude said:
    Your son is living the life!! Nicely done and congrats to the fine young hunter.
    Growing up, my dad took me hunting in the Rockies and on many other adventures. I can’t take my boy on hunts like that. But I can provide him a different experience in volume where we are at. 
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Between Ft Lauderdale and MiamiPosts: 12,556 Senior Member
    Your Son sure can shoot.  Looks like he put that 147 gr ELD right where you told him.
    The rifle seemed a bit heavy for a guy his size if I remember correctly. How did he handle carrying it out to the blind?  I bet it weighed nothing coming back. Congratulations to you both
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    Yeah, I would have chosen the HS Precision LTR Stock I offered him........but when I mentioned NV Capable for the AICS........yeah.......he chose that one. 

****!  I could have used it!! 

It ain’t light and we carry it safari style (muzzle forward with stock over the shoulder)
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Eastern NebraskaPosts: 8,155 Senior Member
    So cool that he had first-time success with his own build
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Manistee Natl ForestPosts: 18,280 Senior Member
    Well done to the both of you!
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member A true 'Southerner'. NZPosts: 8,401 Senior Member
    Excellent result. Pass on my congratulations to him please.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • NNNN Senior Member NCPosts: 25,221 Senior Member
    Congrats to him
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
    Outsfreakingstanding!!!!!!!  Congrats to that young man.  Genetics don’t fail, do they? 😁
  • RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Eupora, MSPosts: 2,814 Senior Member
    edited October 2020 #14
    Congratulations!! He’ll never forget it

And neither will you. 
    Thanks guys. Hope to take 2-3 more this weekend. 
    Thin sliced deer and pig heart. 1min per side. Followed by white gravy. 

• MichakavMichakav Senior Member Southwest PAPosts: 2,907 Senior Member
    So glad that you built that rifle with him! It will mean more to him physically  than you know. Mentally, the time spent bonding will far surpass the material stuff.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Between Ft Lauderdale and MiamiPosts: 12,556 Senior Member
    I never thought about keeping the heart from a Hog.  Plan to try it next time
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    Yummm.  Never had pigs heart!
    Dude!  It’s the best part of a deer OR pig!!
    Zee said:
    Dude!  It’s the best part of a deer OR pig!!
    Damn!!!  I’ve been missing out...  I love deer heart.  Never thought of trying pig hearts.  Thanks!
  • Great OutdoorsGreat Outdoors Member Posts: 326 Member
    Congrats to you both on killing the first deer with the rifle ya'll built together, Awesome.
    My Jarhead brother in law once ate a raw deer heart out of the gut bucket for a $5 bet, ate it like an apple HOORAH- he has been eating them (cooked) ever since.