Home Main Category General Firearms

Powders that haven't worked for you?

knitepoetknitepoet Senior MemberPosts: 21,947 Senior Member
edited October 2020 in General Firearms #1
We've had threads about favorite powders. PJames777's thread about reloading for his Grendel got me to thinking about powders that haven't worked for me.
Before I gore someone's "sacred cow", I'm not saying they're bad powders, just that I haven't been satisfied with them for my uses.
There are only 2 that I've used that I haven't found a something I'd want to continue to use them for.
BL(c)-2 and CFE223
Both have been "dirty" (not really a big deal) and I've not been able to get an acceptably accurate load in any rifle I've tried them in, compared to loads with the same bullets and different powders. 
Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Replies

• Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,155 Senior Member
    BL(C)-2 has never even come close to respectable accuracy for me.  Same with H414.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,997 Senior Member
    I can't recall any powders that I couldn't make work in some way, but I've had some that didn't do much for me. I was very unimpressed with CFE223 and had blown primers in 308 loads that were well within book listed loads. Unfortunately, I had already bought 3 pounds of it. I ended up using it to load book minimum loads with 55gr FMJ bullets in 223 cases for plinkers. It worked, but not very impressive. That's the only powder that I will never buy again.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 25,361 Senior Member
    edited October 2020 #4
    Varget 
    CFE223
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,997 Senior Member
    Varget is another one that seems to have a cult following but is very "meh" to me. I have some. I've used it. Just doesn't do it for me. It seems to me, in my experience, you have to compress the heck out of it to get anything out of it... 
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 25,361 Senior Member
    Jay said:
    Varget is another one that seems to have a cult following but is very "meh" to me. I have some. I've used it. Just doesn't do it for me. It seems to me, in my experience, you have to compress the heck out of it to get anything out of it... 
    I’ve had a pound of it since Jerm sent me his .338 Federal to load for. It didn’t work in the Federal and ever since then, I’ve periodically tried it in various cartridges. Never giving me the accuracy or velocity I wanted. 
    I know it’s a good powder. It just doesn’t like ME!
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 1,950 Senior Member
    Definitely BL-C2
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,460 Senior Member
    BL-C(2) - only mediocre accuracy  and velocity (and by "mediocre" I'm being a bit generous) in the (4) .223s I tried it in. I can't remember if I gave most of a pound away or used it in the garden.

H322....supposed to be the "hot stuff" with the .223 BR crowds, but shoots circles around 400 yard pdogs.  IMO, it ranks right up there with BL-C(2).

Varget.....I hate to bash Varget.....I shot a truckload of it before I learned better. IME, it's a "decent" performer across a wide range of chamberings, but "stellar" in nothing. The fact that it meters like road gravel gains it no points, either.

Mike

"Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,593 Senior Member
    W748
    I tried but could get nothing good to come of it.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,947 Senior Member
    W748
    I tried but could get nothing good to come of it.
    Isn't W748 just re-branded BL(c)-2???????
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• Some_MookSome_Mook Posts: 421 Member
    Winchester 296.  Loaded some for my S&W 629 with 8 3/8" barrel.  Started at the low end listed in my reloading manual.  That powder turned my 629 into a flame thrower - at least a foot of flame out the end of the barrel and a couple of inches out each side of the cylinder.  The report was so concussive that dust fell out of the rafters at the range, and everybody on the line stopped to see what the hell had just happened.  My buddy ran the same rounds out of his 8 1/2" Super Redhawk with no issues, so I gave the rest of the rounds and the can of powder to him.  Have pretty much stayed with W231 ball powder for the .44 ever since.
    "If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace." - Thomas Paine
    "I know my place in the world and it ain’t standing next to Jerry Miculek" - Zee
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,557 Senior Member
    BLC2.  Velocities are good, but consistency is meh.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,557 Senior Member
    H4350 on the other hand... I'd trade a child for an 8 pound jug.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,615 Senior Member
    Can't say that I've had a powder that flat out doesn't work - just gun/bullet combinations that a powder doesn't work in.  It's usually been a matter of incomplete burn - Unique in 1911's is the one that comes most readily to mind.  Have had good luck with AA5744 in a lot of things, but it's been crap in a few others.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,460 Senior Member
    JasonMPD said:
    H4350 on the other hand... I'd trade a child for an 8 pound jug.
    I have an 8lb unopened jug of H4350, but I'm saving it for retirement and I don't like kids. :)

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,227 Senior Member
    I can't think of anything that really hasn't worked, but some have worked better than others.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.