Home Main Category Hunting

#2 Cull - 6.5 Creedmoor

ZeeZee Senior MemberPosts: 28,060 Senior Member
edited October 2020 in Hunting #1
And this one was a straight up cull!  No “hunting” involved. 
Driving to my buddy’s ranch, I saw a neighbor ranchhand on a tractor we wanted to give a deer to.  I pulled up next to him and asked if he wanted a deer today. He said yes and I told him to give me 45 minutes then meet me at the barn on my buddies place. 
We drove to the barn, grabbed a bag of corn, and fed the road like we do every day. Once the first bag was out, I pulled up on the hill and set the Little Man up quickly with his new 6.5 Creedmoor and SpecRest. The deer came running out of the brush and I told him which spike to shoot. As there was much chaos with them running and moving, I told him to put it in the middle of the shoulder no matter what the angle was. 
The buck turned broadside and my boy sent the round on his own (he’s learning). 
At 65 yards, the impact buckled all four legs and the buck dropped. He spun around on the ground but never regained his feet. D-U-N!!!!

It happened so fast, I didn’t even get a video!!  Damn!!!!  It was quite dramatic!

With the 85 deg temps, we jumped in the truck, drove to the deer, took some pics, and headed to the barn to gut  and put ice in the carcass!!

I know this isn’t “hunting”. But, if it gets my boy outside and gets him experience shooting fluid targets and giving to others, I’ll take it every day. 
We got to the barn, he helped me gut the deer and get it ready as the neighbor arrived. Tagged and loaded, the spike was off to someone who would utilize the sustenances to feed their family. Always a good thing. 
Proud of the young man. 
"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

Replies

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Manistee Natl ForestPosts: 18,280 Senior Member
    These experiences are going to do wonders for his hunting life...no buck fever for him....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 28,060 Senior Member
    He really doesn’t get rattled. Which is both good and bad in my mind. 
    Good in that he is so used to it that it’s just “a thing” for him to process and accomplish. 
    Bad in that it’s so “common” that he doesn’t understand the rarity of the action. 
    The only time he’s admitted to getting “buck fever” was using the .308 Winchester Specialty Pistol. After the shot, he admitted he was shaking hard on that one. 
    It was something new to him. 
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 9,696 Senior Member
    Zee said:

Driving to my buddy’s ranch, I saw a neighbor ranch hand on a tractor we wanted to give a deer to.  I pulled up next to him and asked if he wanted a deer today. He said yes and I told him to give me 45 minutes then meet me at the barn on my buddies place. 

JUST. . .SLAP. . .YOURSELF, you cocky bastard! You're starting to remind me of Babe Ruth pointing his bat where his home run was going to land.:D
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
    Young man is having a hell of a great week!!! 
    edited October 2020 #6
    I was incorrect in the other thread. We are not using factory 147gr ELD-M but actually factory 140gr ELD-M!!!

I have a butt load of the 147gr ELD-M and I need to zero his gun to that for testing. 
    Or, I leave his with the 140gr ELD-M and I zero mine for the 147gr ELD-M and we compare. 
    Entrance 

Impressive results. 

The heart was basically.......gone. Gonna try and salvage a bite or two. 

• CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Central MNPosts: 14,659 Senior Member
    Beats running over them with the truck, ;) hunting takes many forms, I would have been all over it when I was his age, let him shoot, he is on it
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    Bigslug said:
    Zee said:

Driving to my buddy’s ranch, I saw a neighbor ranch hand on a tractor we wanted to give a deer to.  I pulled up next to him and asked if he wanted a deer today. He said yes and I told him to give me 45 minutes then meet me at the barn on my buddies place. 

JUST. . .SLAP. . .YOURSELF, you cocky bastard! You're starting to remind me of Babe Ruth pointing his bat where his home run was going to land.:D
    When you’re over populated..........they’re like rats!!
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
    That is IMPRESSIVE internal damage!!!!
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 9,696 Senior Member
    You're making quite the young man there.  It was a real formative experience for me to kill and eat my first quail on the same day.  He's already taking it the next step into feeding other folks.  Kind of a magical thing I can't properly articulate.

I am finding it greatly humorous how much you claim to like heart meat - and this kid keeps blasting the hearts to giblets. :D
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
    Bitter sweet. 😒
  • pjames777pjames777 Senior Member Lincoln, CAPosts: 1,421 Senior Member
    Sucks going to the grocery store!  Jealous.