Home Main Category General Firearms

Introducing Rodney, Bubba's Dragon gun

FreezerFreezer Senior MemberPosts: 1,879 Senior Member
edited October 2020 in General Firearms #1
My nephew in Tenn. had rented his house and had to throw the tenants out. They left all kind of things behind including two 22 cal rifles. Both looked like they'd stood in the corner of a barn for a long time. One was a Remington 511 manufactured in 1951. The second was in far worse condition. It was a Mossberg 25 that was manufactured prior to 1939. I can only speculate it's story but I think I'm close.

This rifle is a single shot child's gun. Bubba got it as a present when he was small and really had a good time with it in the barn yard and barn. As he grew Bubba learned to whittle. He had a fascination with dragons and decided to carve one into the stock of the Mossberg. As he grew into a real redneck this single shot was too small and couldn't shoot fast. He got the Remington 511 and the Mossberg was set in the corner never to be shot again.  Eventually the Remington ws no longer interesting nd was set next to the Mossberg.

Years past and Bubba didn't get any smarter. The guns followed him or is offspring off the farm and found their way to my nephew's house where they were abandoned. He brought them to me but only had a couple days in town. I did a quick cleaning on the Remington and kept the Mossberg. It was a child's gun with carving on the side. It took me five minutes to figure out it was Bubba's attempt at a dragon. All the metal was covered in fuzzy rust. I had to start cleaning the butt plate with 60 grit. I found a rear sight to replace the missing one. and reinstalled sling swivels to fill the hole of the missing ones. I also found a scope mount for it should the need ever arise After a lot of work I thought it wasn't too bad but what to do with the stock? A replacement would cost more than the gun was worth. Then it hit me! His brother has a little girl, this would be a perfect starter gun for her! NO PINK CAMMO!

I broke out my knives, Dremel and wood burning tools. The stock was birch and after I finished carving and burning stain was out of the question. After a lot of Oxphoblue, Permalyn, sandpaper and steel wool I presented him with a gift for his niece, my great niece. 

I called it Rodney, Bubba's Dagon Gun because it didn't get any respect 

I like Elmer Keith; I married his daughter :wink:

Replies

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,646 Senior Member
    interesting save.
    Nice job
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• GunNutGunNut Posts: 6,939 Senior Member
    Cool job bringing it back!  Those old Mossberg.22s are excellent shooters.  I’m sure she’ll love her dragon gun.
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,069 Senior Member
    The farther away from it, the better it looks.  Good job resurrecting a sleeping dragon.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    That little Mossberg should be a shooter if the bore is still good. And good work finishing out the dragon on the stock. Little gals like dragons so that should work well!
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • FreezerFreezer Senior Member Posts: 1,879 Senior Member
    It shoots very well and will be great for the young lady. I'm no photographer and the pics aren't great. The sock was fuzzy with mold and even after cleaning the finish was blotchy and off colored. I've left a number of Marlin /Glenfield's in the blond and really liked them.

This is a better pic of the carvings. I had to start with Bubba's work and that included the circle and shamrock. I really don't care for carved socks but its better than "Pink Camo". The burnt in leaves add some interesting features and corrected other defects.
    I like Elmer Keith; I married his daughter :wink:
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 6,939 Senior Member
    Should be called the Game of Thrones .22!
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 1,932 Senior Member
    Nice work!
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain