Home Main Category General Firearms

Ballistic Studies

JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior MemberPosts: 6,557 Senior Member
I think Zee first referenced this site back when he was the artist formerly known as....well, you know who.  I rekindled myself with this site and delved into the research and findings.  

I've taken my Rem 700 CDL 280 out a few times in the woods with factory ammo (Hornady Superformance 139gr SST), but never batten down the hatches and got serious about finding a hunting load.  Always tinkering, never deciding.

So after reading and setting game harvesting goals for the gun, the 150gr Nosler Partition is what I've decided on.  Not the 168 Berger Classic I was developing previously.  It's not constructed tough enough for sub-100 yard hits.

The 150gr Nosler Partition is touted in many of their (data driven) opinions as the premier bullet for 7mm guns hitting between 3000 and 2200 fps, near to far.

I have test loads with IMR4350 and H4381 ready for velocity/accuracy tests.  Once this load is developed, I'm closing the doors on experiments with this gun.  Happily so.
“There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers

Replies

• SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 4,289 Senior Member
    Let us know the results... and pictures.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,194 Senior Member
    Good luck.  I know the partition is a tough bullet, but I have never got good accuracy with them.

What game to you plan to hunt?
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,557 Senior Member
    Good luck.  I know the partition is a tough bullet, but I have never got good accuracy with them.

Medium game up to 400 pounds and pigs.

What is good accuracy for you?
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,365 Senior Member
    I use 160 grain Partitions over RL22 in my .270 Win. A-Bolt. They clock 2850 and it's the most accurate load I've managed to develop for that rig. Honest sub 3/8" three shot groups with a skinny hunting barrel.

I've fired 6 shots into 1 smallish elk and two 600+ lb bison at ranges from 80 yards to 120. 5 were complete pass throughs, and the one that didn't came to rest in the offside hide after traversing half the length of a bison. Not a bad record.

I think you'll like 'em in your .280.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,194 Senior Member
    JasonMPD said:

Medium game up to 400 pounds and pigs.

What is good accuracy for you?
    Anything under 1 MOA in a hunting rifle works for me.  I've never even shot at a pig, but understand they can be pretty tough, so a tough bullet seems reasonable.  My personal favorite for tough bullets like this is the Speer Grand Slam, but they seem to have fallen out of favor, and can be hard to find.  I don't know why.

The only thing I ever shot with a Partition was a 2 1/2 year old bison at about 35 yards.  I was shooting my 338x284, and put three through her rib cage, although she was falling when I made the last shot.

If you can get the accuracy and muzzle velocity you want, I'd say you're gold.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,529 Senior Member
    I punched holes through a pig with partitions. I am not a fan. 165gr running about 2700fps. Maybe OK on Bison.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,365 Senior Member
    Pretty sure they're OK on bison. Pretty sure they're OK on elk.

For deer or hogs, I'd pick NBT's.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull