Home Main Category Clubhouse

Hey Varmintist, power line question

CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior MemberCentral MNPosts: 14,663 Senior Member
Varmintist, anybody else that has expertise in this area, how common is the sparking problems with the powerlines in California and other areas? Is this unique to California because of their grid? Is there not any way to prevent the sparking?
I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11

Replies

• SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 4,772 Senior Member
    edited October 2020 #2
    Sparking is pretty common, mostly during the summer months. Current demands go way up, line capacity reaches max levels drought conditions make everything on the ground ready to burn. Drought ridden Trees like to fall over during wind storms and sometimes birds just land on the wrong spot or lightning, lots of lightning. But it's mostly high winds, summer demand and conductors getting too close to one another during those wind storms.

The fix revolves around $money$ and better power management. But don't expect PG&E to fix anything, anytime soon.
    They just filed for chapter 11 while they reorganize.

In the meantime, there's a power "Czar" or sorts called CAISO (California independent System Operator). They're calling the shots now when it comes to power outages.

But we still have the usual back and forth as CAISO lays the blame on the Utilities Commission. So same ole, same ole. And the lines continue their sparking. So yeah, it's a California thing.

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• zorbazorba Senior Member Merrritt Island, FLPosts: 25,221 Senior Member
    California completely RUINED their power infrastructure with the so-called "de-regulation" of electricity. Idiots and fools. Yet another reason I'm glad I'm GONE!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Western PAPosts: 8,235 Senior Member
    I'm a phone guy but work close to power. Sparks will happen for any number of reasons, but likely in CA you are dealing with wind blowing the hot and gnd together. It happens everywhere.
    If you are in a wind storm and your power goes out and comes back, that is because there is a arc somewhere. Tree limb, whatever. A bird landing on the conductor wont do a thing, a squirrel in a transformer is a fireball.

The lines are normal, the problem is they are built in a tinderbox. No one will pay the price that a KW/hr would cost to bury it and that is not a 100% fix.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Central MNPosts: 14,663 Senior Member
    OK, thanks folks.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11