Home Main Category Clubhouse

No sleep for me

Gene LGene L Senior MemberPosts: 12,759 Senior Member
It's 4 a.m. and I'm wide awake. I'm taking steroids for my arthritis, just started prednisone, and read where it would give you insomnia. Apparently it is doing just that and I took a sleeping pill. Watching TV, I mean what else are you gonna do at 4 a.m.? Hoping to drop off soon. The prednisone is working, a little at a time on my left hand.

Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.

Replies

• DrawbarFlatsDrawbarFlats Posts: 788 Senior Member
    LOL!!! 4 am is my normal wake up. Arthritis is no joke though. I take meds for my rheumatoid arthritis. Works to keep flareups at bay. 
  • NNNN Senior Member NCPosts: 25,221 Senior Member
    And I thought it wa bad enough to wake up at 0530; so I built a fire.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Central MNPosts: 14,671 Senior Member
    Sleep wake patterns do get to be different as you age, the steroids certainly do not help, but there may be some things to modify, diet, alcohol, caffeine, daily routine and such, they had a stretch at the nursing homes in my area where they cut everybody off from the news for a bit with one 6 Oclock broadcast per day, constant news on all day was causing people to lose sleep and their BP was going up. 
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Colorado SpringsPosts: 7,823 Senior Member
    I've been getting up at 4:45 am for so many years now that a weekend "sleep-in" is maybe 5:15.

What I'd give to sleep in on a Saturday until 9 AM......just once again.......

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Merrritt Island, FLPosts: 25,222 Senior Member
    Heck, there are times its 4 AM and I haven't even gone to bed yet. Severe night owl here, seldom go to sleep before 2 and often later - but I hear you. Steroids aren't fun - "WILL SOMEBODY PLEASE TURN ME OFF!"
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 4,772 Senior Member
    zorba said:
    "WILL SOMEBODY PLEASE TURN ME OFF!"

Your eyes are so dreamy and your butt looks fabulous in that skirt!!! 😘

If that doesn't do it, nothing will. 🤣🤣🤣🤣
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• zorbazorba Senior Member Merrritt Island, FLPosts: 25,222 Senior Member
    Spk said:
    zorba said:

Snort! Depends on "what" is telling me this...
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
    edited November 2020 #9
    Spk said:
    zorba said:

Somewhere, late at night, some dude with cast on his arm is trying to load a couch in his van. Soon, a car pulls up with Tom Petty's "American Girl" blaring away on the speakers. Zorba, wearing his new skirt, asks the stranger, "Ya need any help with that....???" LOL!!!!
  • minnesotashooterminnesotashooter Senior Member Posts: 828 Senior Member
    I have a love/hate relationship with prednisone.  Love it when I’m on it but I get insomnia as well.  Hate going off it because I feel so good when I’m on it but I know it’s really really bad for you
  • JustsomedudeJustsomedude Posts: 1,370 Senior Member
    I can relate to your dilemma. Apparently being an alcoholic for as long as I was rewired my brain. I cant sleep for anything and even their strongest sleeping pills don't do squat, but its still worth it to not drink anymore.
    We've been conditioned to believe that obedience is virtuous and voting is freedom- 
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 9,705 Senior Member
    You know that saying, "I'll sleep when I'm dead"?  Yeah.  I expect that'll be it.  If I get more than about four hours in a night, it's a shocker.  New mattress?  Nope.  CPAP?  Nope?  Jaw extending "retainer" in place of the CPAP? Nope.  Nasal dilator to pry open the airway?  Nope?  Melatonin?  PFFFFFFT!
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,759 Senior Member
    I can relate to your dilemma. Apparently being an alcoholic for as long as I was rewired my brain. I cant sleep for anything and even their strongest sleeping pills don't do squat, but its still worth it to not drink anymore.

I quit drinking whisky back in December 15th.  I was drinking a lot back then and just gave it up.  Before, I wouldn't have any  problems sleeping: in the yard, on the porch, on the floor.  I haven't wanted to drink since, which surprises me a bit. 
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
    Gene L said:

I quit drinking whisky back in December 15th.  I was drinking a lot back then and just gave it up.  Before, I wouldn't have any  problems sleeping: in the yard, on the porch, on the floor.  I haven't wanted to drink since, which surprises me a bit.  

Never been much of a drinker but when I have the occasional beer or glass of wine during holidays I can't sleep worth a crap - not to mention waking up every hour to take a piss. For me, any alcohol acts as a stimulant. 
  • pjames777pjames777 Senior Member Lincoln, CAPosts: 1,421 Senior Member
    Alcohol keeps me awake so with my treatments I don't drink much, maybe a beer once a week if that.  Hasn't changed my sleep pattern much so occasionally I'll need an Ambian to get four hours.  Hard to sleep when you're limited movement doesn't allow you to get fatigued.  Longing for the good old days when I did all the maintenance car, house, yard, neighbors stuff.  Useful as a teet on a bull these days.
  • AntonioAntonio Senior Member Lima, PeruPosts: 2,986 Senior Member
    I've had 2 episodes of insomnia in my life so I feel your pain.

The 1st. and worst was a few years ago when I got jaundice due to a gall bladder obstruction. Best way to define it is hell on earth; no matter how tired the only way to rest for a few minutes every night was passing out due to exhaustion, only to woke up after a while by the other symptoms such as a terrible body itch (you can literally skin yourself by scratching), nausea, headaches or mere allucinations (sounds, voices, etc.); along with the bilirrubin blood poisoning, dehidratation and starvation the lack of sleep plays havoc with your body after just a couple of weeks.

The other is currently going on and it's thanks to work stress. Have learned that the WORST thing to do is turning the lights on to read or turning on the TV; you'll keep yourself distracted and even entretained but the light from the lamp and/or screen will throw your normal sleeping cycle into a spin.

I refuse to take sleeping pills for mere fear of getting hooked ti them, but have found a pretty good solution that works 80% of the times: Instead of allowing my mind to spin and then turning on the TV to "shut it up" I search in my phone any Youtube video with a subject that is interesting enough to distract me from my thoughts, but "mellow" enough to allow my brain to get into idel and finally fall asleep again after no more than half an hour. I just plug my earphones, turn the screen off and listen.
    Usually I choose lectures related to WWI history or any other military-related theme like WWII or the Civil War. Also I might choose some interviews in the "Joe Rogan experience" podcast, prof. Victor Davis Hanson history & politics lectures, etc. 

Hope your insomnia dissaperas soon; its a truly awful condition.

• Lonewolf-PeruLonewolf-Peru Member Lima, PeruPosts: 716 Senior Member
    Besides the ocasional night without sleep, I never had a string of nights with sleep deprivation (a single night is bad enough), but work pressure gave me long periods in which I didn't had the pleasure of at least 6 hours of sleep. 

About prednisone, I'm not a big fan of that medication. Years ago, my late father had to take strong doses of it (part of his cáncer treatment) and it gave him high sugar levels (which required insulin) ...as soon has the prednisone was suspended,  his blood sugar returned to normal

Years later, my husky also required prednisone for a couple of weeks... that's two weeks I had to get out of bed at 3.00 am to take him outside to pee (I lived in an apartment)... and that kept me awake for an hour before I could catch sleep again.

Hope you could find a way to beat insomnia soon Gene.