Home Main Category General Firearms

FINALLY a Kydex holster I like!

GunNutGunNut Posts: 6,939 Senior Member
edited November 2020 in General Firearms #1
After a lot of failures finally a Kydex holster I can stand to wear all day.  This thing is as comfortable as the el cheapo Uncle Mikes fabric soft holsters I like.  

My new favorite, Alien Gear Cloak Tuck 3.5

Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

Replies

• Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,069 Senior Member
    What I like about Kydex is that they're slim.  I have several.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 6,939 Senior Member
    Gene L said:
    This is Kydex on the outside and a soft material that looks like thin leather bonded to a soft material against your body.  It’s really comfortable with none of the sharp edges and angles that pure Kydex holsters have.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,922 Senior Member
    Too much going on there for me. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,379 Senior Member
    I have an Alien Gear holster much like that one.  Haven't used it in ages
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    edited November 2020 #6
    Zee said:
    Too much going on there for me. 
    That’s what I thought too when my LGS partner showed to me.  He gave me a deal I couldn’t refuse so I figured I’d try it.  PIA to put it on but getting easier.  But the comfort is absolutely there and it feels much more secure than my other alternatives.  The shell attachment screws let you regulate retention and you can buy extra Kydex shells for other guns.  Kind’a cool!

Diver43 said:
    Why? If you don’t mind me asking.

• 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 2,122 Senior Member
    Diver43 said:

Same here, it was actually the first holster I bought.  I like it just fine but have moved to OWB carry for comfort instead of IWB.
    Diver43 said:

Same here, it was actually the first holster I bought.  I like it just fine but have moved to OWB carry for comfort instead of IWB.
    I was anti IWB for years but in the last few years I’ve gotten used to it and now with this holster it’ll be the normal mode of carry.  I think the combination of this holster and my FrankenGlock 43x with a 15 round Shield Ams mag is now officially my most comfortable EDC...

Oh CRAP did I just say that......... 😳

• HappySquidHappySquid Member Posts: 401 Member
    Gunnut doesn't you losing "some" weight the last year come into the equation ?
    Gunnut doesn't you losing "some" weight the last year come into the equation ?
    Maybe 😁

• shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,849 Senior Member
    edited November 2020 #12
    Glad you like it. 

The Alien Gear hybrids are a hard pass for me. Always felt that the leather side inhibited my draw. Tenicor is my go-to kydex EDC holster. 
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
    Glad you like it. 

The Alien Gear hybrids are a hard pass for me. Always felt that the leather side inhibited my draw. Tenicor is my go-to kydex EDC holster. 
    The backing on it is not leather.  It’s leather-like and you can set the retention to be exactly what you want with screws.

Leather sucks monkey butt for drawing. 
    I just got two new holsters in today from BravoConcealment. Not bad for the price. 

The one for the G47 and Surefire X300 light I’m not as pleased with. Either I ordered the wrong one or there is ZERO retention built into this holster. I need to figure out what went wrong. Fits fine. No resistance coming out. Upside down, it will fall out. 

Zee said:
    Leather sucks monkey butt for drawing. 
    Again, not leather.  It’s got a leather like look but not the grubbiness of leather and retention is 100% adjustable by screws.  You can go from “slides out when held upside down” to “pull your pants up with the holster” when you draw.

Zee said:
    I just got two new holsters in today from BravoConcealment. Not bad for the price. 

The one for the G47 and Surefire X300 light I’m not as pleased with. Either I ordered the wrong one or there is ZERO retention built into this holster. I need to figure out what went wrong. Fits fine. No resistance coming out. Upside down, it will fall out. 

They look pretty good.  Ain’t that setup a little rough on the family jewels when you sit?

The green squishy rubber donuts set tension.  This one is one generation old.  The latest did away with the screws for the belt hooks.

Back is SUPER COMFORTABLE thin neoprene fabric.  It feels great agains even bare skin.

GunNut said:
    Zee said:

They look pretty good.  Ain’t that setup a little rough on the family jewels when you sit?
    It fits right of the package. 
    Zee said:
    GunNut said:
    Zee said:

It fits right of the package. 
    👍👍

• Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior Member Posts: 1,438 Senior Member
    GunNut said:
    Gene L said:
    This is Kydex on the outside and a soft material that looks like thin leather bonded to a soft material against your body.  It’s really comfortable with none of the sharp edges and angles that pure Kydex holsters have.
    I have simple IWB holsters I like.  Kydex on the outside with leather on the inside = no sharp edges on my skin.

https://www.rawdogtactical.com/defender-pro-series/
    GunNut said:
    The green squishy rubber donuts set tension.  This one is one generation old.  The latest did away with the screws for the belt hooks.
    Yeah. No. Too much material. 
    GunNut said:
    Gene L said:
    I have simple IWB holsters I like.  Kydex on the outside with leather on the inside = no sharp edges on my skin.

https://www.rawdogtactical.com/defender-pro-series/
    Looks interesting.  Price is right!

Zee said:
    GunNut said:
    Yeah. No. Too much material. 
    👍

• 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 2,122 Senior Member
    GunNut, a little advice based on personal experience.  Use a dab of thread lock on all the screws or they will back themselves out over a little time.
    The interchangeable shells for different guns is a nice feature.  I have two shells for mine, the SD9VE and the Shield.
    GunNut, a little advice based on personal experience.  Use a dab of thread lock on all the screws or they will back themselves out over a little time.
    The interchangeable shells for different guns is a nice feature.  I have two shells for mine, the SD9VE and the Shield.
    Thanks for the advice!  Will do.

• N454casullN454casull Member Posts: 623 Senior Member
    That’s been my goto this past summer for IWB carry. 

I got mine from the factory in Post Falls ID. Called them a little after 8am and placed an order. Picked it up on my way thru town at about 3pm. That may not seem like a big deal but they don’t keep every shell in stock so they had to make it. So mine was fresh of the press when I got it. I was impressed at how fast and willing they were to bang out one holster in that time period. 

Secondly when I picked it up the guy at will call ran me thru all the specifics of the holster system and help me get it all set up and comfortable.
    That’s been my goto this past summer for IWB carry. 

I got mine from the factory in Post Falls ID. Called them a little after 8am and placed an order. Picked it up on my way thru town at about 3pm. That may not seem like a big deal but they don’t keep every shell in stock so they had to make it. So mine was fresh of the press when I got it. I was impressed at how fast and willing they were to bang out one holster in that time period. 

Secondly when I picked it up the guy at will call ran me thru all the specifics of the holster system and help me get it all set up and comfortable.
    That’s darn good CS for sure.

• kansashunterkansashunter Senior Member Posts: 1,876 Senior Member
    I have that holster but I have too much fat for a iwb. I have one from them in an owb and I did have the screws come loose but it is the best I have found so far but always looking for something better.
    I have that holster but I have too much fat for a iwb. I have one from them in an owb and I did have the screws come loose but it is the best I have found so far but always looking for something better.
    I have two buddies that are little thicker in the middle than I and they also favor the Alien Gear OWB holsters.  I took a quick peek at one and it looked darn good!