Home Main Category Hunting

Halloween's moose hunt

TurdusMerulaTurdusMerula MemberPosts: 362 Member
After the last Saturday's moose where I shot my first moose for this season I started to feel ill. Warm, cold, warm, cold and sore throat with some burning cactuses inside my nasal area.
On Sunday morning it was on full throttle. Great, I thought. Second Covid-19 test within three weeks was ahead of me on Monday. As I work in elementary school we can't go to work with a slightest symptom that fits to corona symptoms without the test. My son told to me and my wife that his throat is on fire too. Great, even better. Both of us are going to be tested.
To make things even better and interesting my wife got ill too on Monday evening so off to Covid test too as she work in a school too.

Long story short, we have been in a flu of the century this week. Fever and sore throats, coughing, sneezing, the whole menu.

This morning I dragged myself out of the house to our weekly moose hunt. Sneezing and coughing and without proper strength in my body but I wanted to get out for some fresh air.
I thought that I could always return home if it's unbearable in the forest.

Got my first post and the four daschunds were unleashed. Didn't take long until all of them got a drives on and running. Nobody saw whether they were driving some moose or deer. Couple of dogs came close to me barking and driving like mad, but on the other side of the crest so I didn't know what to expect. Quickly everything went to south. One dog ran out of our area, across a big local road, one dog ran 180 degrees to other orientation, way out of the reach of the shooters and couple of dogs went under the big rocks while following European raccoons. They were fighting way below the earths surface while other dogs were chased to safety from getting hit by the cars while going over it multiple times.

After all the dogs were "rescued" we took a short regrouping and a coffee break. I did feel slightly exhausted just by sitting on my post but decided to stay for the second drive.
I got my second post and just barely got there when the VHF radio told me that the dogs are unleashed again in this new search area. It didn't take long until a chase was on just near my post. I was on high rocky area and a small miniature "valley" was opening up below me. Height difference was probably 10 yards. There was a thick, young forest on bottom of it. So anything might come out of it when the dogs goes there. An ideal hideout for the moose and deer.

After about 15 minutes I saw a young buck walking calmly on the trail where the young and thick 15 feet trees turned into more open, older forest. Distance was around 140 yards. As I heard that dogs was within couple of hundred yards from the deer I took a quick aim into the deer's shoulder that was facing me and sent the bullet on it's path. I heard it smack into the deer and saw the deer take a small jump and turning on it's tracks. 

No rush, I knew the hit was good and dogs available for the tracking if necessary. I walked into place where I shot the deer and started to search for blood. No need for that as I saw deer laying on the ground just 15 yards from that place.

I gutted the deer and called my father that I could use some help with the dragging the deer from that lower part of the forest. He was just a couple of hundred yards away from me in his post and told me that he will come. A li's bit later two more hunting buddies came to help me and my father as it would have been an impossible task for me to drag that deer through the forest into my car in my current condition.

I'm very pleased for this deer. Antlers are small and lousy but the body is pretty big for the age of that young buck.
When I got it hanging at home I was totally exhausted.

Not much pictures from today's surroundings. Was way too tired to photograph today. Sorry.

To see a World in a Grain of Sand And a Heaven in a Wild Flower
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand And Eternity in an hour
-William Blake-

Replies