Home Main Category Hunting

Finally got an iron sight handgun deer

bullsi1911bullsi1911 ModeratorPosts: 11,247 Senior Member

Ruger Redhawk 4” .44 Mag running the Hornady Flextip lever evolution rounds at a laser measured 21 yards. Blew through both shoulders and a “bang-flop”. The deer was kicking a bit so I put a 38Spl finisher througy the neck. 

7 point “cull” in that it was an asymmetrical rack, but a big body 3-4 year old. All in all- a great way to spend the morning
To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
-Mikhail Kalashnikov

Replies

• bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,247 Senior Member
    For the “story”- I was in the blind early this morning, since I slept there!  Been threatening to do that for years, and finally did it. Stay in the blind overnight on opening day and see what happens. 

so- woke up early, made some coffee, then promptly fell back asleep. Woke up when the coffee was still hot, and saw some deer under the feeder. Watched them for a while, then the horses came in  

watched the horses for a while, and saw a 10 point buck back in the woods, thinking about coming in. I was watching him through the scope when this guy came out right in front of the blind and then kept coming closer... and closer...

so, I put the AR-10 to the side and pulled the Redhawk, and ended the hunt. 

Meat in the freezer and horns on the wall!
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,354 Senior Member
    That’s awesome!  Good shooting and hard core sleeping in the blind. 
    How big is it?  We’re you able to stretch out?
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,301 Senior Member
    Well done Bullsi :D
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,029 Senior Member
    Nice work!!
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 6,096 Senior Member
    Looks like a pretty big body!
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,074 Senior Member
    Fantastic, looks like a lot of meat
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,202 Senior Member
    Way cool!

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,978 Senior Member
    Nice! I carried my super blackhawk for years hoping for an opportunity like that. Never materialized.
    Congrats.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,780 Senior Member
    That is a real accomplishment! 
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia

The kiddo was able to connect with a spike last night. 32 yards with a CZ 527 carbine in 7.62x39. Through both shoulders with a Speer 125 grain gameking that the kiddo helped me load. 
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    Zee said:
    I did not get a weight, but he was pretty big. When we were quartering him his hams were over my head and the nose was almost on the ground. 
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,838 Senior Member
    Two on the ground, good day! Did the kiddo sleep in a he stand too? Good to know that flex tip works out of a 4” Redhawk, I have one too
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    Zee said:
    I did not get a weight, but he was pretty big. When we were quartering him his hams were over my head and the nose was almost on the ground. 
    Ha!  I was talking about the blind. Did you have to sleep sitting up or did you stretch out on the floor?
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,067 Senior Member
    Where's that damn thumbs up emoji?  

Well done!
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
    Zee said:
    Zee said:
    Ha!  I was talking about the blind. Did you have to sleep sitting up or did you stretch out on the floor?
    Slept in the chair- which is a high back office chair that leans way back. Almost like a recliner. 
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    Where's that damn thumbs up emoji?  

Well done!
    Thank you!
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    CHIRO1989 said:
    Two on the ground, good day! Did the kiddo sleep in a he stand too? Good to know that flex tip works out of a 4” Redhawk, I have one too
    Kiddo did not sleep in the blind. He came down with mom after the morning hunt
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,824 Senior Member
    Way to go!  
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 1,900 Senior Member
    Nice job!
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,566 Senior Member
    Outstanding!
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,133 Senior Member
    Excellent result and a great looking deer. Gotta ask the question though.........Is sleeping in the blind going to be your new operating procedure? :)
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
    orchidman said:
    Excellent result and a great looking deer. Gotta ask the question though.........Is sleeping in the blind going to be your new operating procedure? :)
    I normally sleep in the blind. Just this time it was overnight!

i May do it again this weekend
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,566 Senior Member
    Awesome story.  Thanks for sharing about your boy!  Tell him, "Good Job!" for me  please.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"

The kiddo was able to connect with a spike last night. 32 yards with a CZ 527 carbine in 7.62x39. Through both shoulders with a Speer 125 grain gameking that the kiddo helped me load. 
    Sorry I missed this!  Congrats to the young Hunter!

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

GunNut said:

Thanks!

here are a couple of better pics of his deer:

-Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,838 Senior Member
    Wow, the shop got that done fast for you. 
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    Yum!
    GunNut said:

Thanks!

here are a couple of better pics of his deer:

He’s already contributing to the family food supply (and dad’s happiness).  Good for him!

• JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,067 Senior Member
    Tell me about those sausages, please.  What kind?  Are they all venison or a pork/venison mix?  They look awesome!

Can I come to your house for supper when you cook those? :)
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
    Chiro- yeah, these guys are good.  Fast processing and really good product

JBC- they are a 50/50 venison/ pork sausage.  Smoked, and with cheese in the mix. They are really good, and we already had one pack as an ‘appetizer’ with dinner last night.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov