Home Main Category Hunting

The Little Man and his oldest deer!!

ZeeZee Senior MemberPosts: 24,349 Senior Member
edited November 2020 in Hunting #1
Years ago, I named a buck on my friend’s ranch, “Wide Load”. Probably 21-22” wide and 8” tall in his prime, he was quite impressive. 
Year before last, I noticed he didn’t get any bigger and his body didn’t look as full. Last year, his rack was smaller and his body was shooting age. This year, he was even smaller in rack and lopsided. His body was thin in comparison to years past. While other bucks were swelling in the neck, he remained skinny and his spine and shoulder blades were showing. 
A decision had to be made. From a management perspective, he would not grow bigger, likely not breed, and simply eat food and grow weaker.  After watching him on camera and in person for the past couple months, I made the decision it was time. Her had served his purpose on the ranch and could still be an impressive trophy for my boy, who puts a lot of time and effort into helping me run the ranch. A fitting reward, in my opinion. 
We actively started going after him last weekend. We’ve sat a stand 4 times and seen him twice without opportunity. Saw him two other times while doing ranch work and unable to take a shot. Yesterday evening, we were feeding and doing other chores when I saw him run across a pasture. I quickly drove up on a hill and got my boy set up on top of the ATV with the AI in 6.5 Creedmoor. If he came out of the brush, we would be ready. 

After about 10-15 minutes, he came off the hill. Walking from left to right, I watched him in binos. Coaching The Man on points of aim should he stop. Worrying that he wouldn’t!  My heart was beating and I was shaking like I’ve not done in decades!!!  I don’t know what the difference was, but I had a STUPID case of buck fever!!
He finally paused with his right leg back and left leg slightly forward. Quartering away slightly, I said, “Middle of the leg, halfway up, send it!”
Inhale.......exhale......
Pppppppffffffftttttttt!!!!!

"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

Replies

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,349 Senior Member
    Through binos, I see his body shudder, he lurches forward and turns to his left. As he runs, I begin to see blood POURING out of the off side!  He continues to run across The pasture towards the safety of the brush. But, his body sinks lower and lower. Finally, nose diving into the ground, he summer salts end over end in two complete flips!!  Ending up facing the way he came. It was done. 

I couldn’t have been prouder of my boy!
    130 yard shot with a rifle he’d only dry fired!
    This is his widest and oldest deer to date. 

I had estimated him at 8.5 years old. Only to be shocked later when I caped out his skull!!

Not many young men can say they took their biggest bucks with an Accuracy International AX in 6.5 Creedmoor, Leupold Mark 5 Scope, and SiCo Suppressor. 
    We are both truly fortunate and blessed!
    Also his heaviest bodied deer. Didn’t weight him (I should have) but we were pressed for time to get him and his sister to JiuJitsu Class. 

We butchered him quickly back at my friend’s barn. 

147gr ELD-Match
    Entrance

I’ve noticed I have a hard time finding the entrance to the 6.5 bullets. As compared to .308 Winchester, they remain relatively hidden with no blood exiting them. I know it’s not much by diameter, but.........the entrance is hard to find and doesn’t bleed. Just something of note. 

The 147gr ELD-M does not seem as fragile as the 140gr ELD-M Bullets. I know it’s only 7 grains........but the internal damage of the 140gr out of the 22” barrel seems greater than the 147gr out of the 20” barrel in the 3 deer I’ve seen taken with the later. 
    It assuredly works!!!  I’m just saying, if you want a softer bullet and more internal trauma.......140gr ELD-M. 
    The 147gr ELD-M seems like it will penetrate further and hold together a bit more. 
    Exit

The bullet assuredly works and The Little Man can assuredly shoot!  Total separation of the heart from the thoracic accoutrement. Front of the lungs........gone. Esophagus, wind pipe, carotid artery’s..........a bridge too far. 
    How that buck still ran approximately 50 yards is beyond me. 

edited November 2020 #5
    At the house, I used a custom knife to cape the skull that a friend made me. 

And went to work the best way I knew how. 

When I compared him to the biologist template..........my estimated 8.5 years old proved (in my mind) to be a little conservative!!

With no template beyond 8.5 years old, I have to guess and say that he is 9.5 to 10.5 years old!!  The wear is greater and he is down to the gum with tooth spacing and missing portions as compared to the template!
    Regardless.........he was a grand old man. Served his purpose, past his prime, and a hell of a trophy for my boy!! 

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,300 Senior Member
    Congrats to the young man, he's grown a LOT since that McDonalds we met in one day

As a side note, the old man deserved the quick death he got, more than just being allowed to continue his decline so well done on that as well
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,073 Senior Member
    That is one impressive trophy.
    Your friend sure has some magnificent animals on the property.  Another Congratulations to the young man.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 6,094 Senior Member
    Congratulations to the young Hunter!  He’s got quite the score card going!!!
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,837 Senior Member
    I think the asymmetry in the rack looks pretty cool, looks like he saved you some heart this time, lets us know if you find the meat texture and flavor to be in a deer that old
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,345 Senior Member
    Zee said:
     From a management perspective, he would not grow bigger, likely not breed, and simply eat food and grow weaker.  
    Huh. . .I wonder if there's a Hornady 6.5mm heading MY way. . . :D

Impressive old animal that went down like a warrior, in spite of probably not having another year left in him.  Very, VERY cool!
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,025 Senior Member
    Impressive old buck...it appears the whole thing came together in a grand way...Nice work!
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    knitepoet said:
    Congrats to the young man, he's grown a LOT since that McDonalds we met in one day

As a side note, the old man deserved the quick death he got, more than just being allowed to continue his decline so well done on that as well
    Yeah. He’s as tall as I am now. 😳
    Diver43 said:
    Your friend sure has some magnificent animals on the property.  Another Congratulations to the young man.
    We don’t shoot any trophy animals. Only does and culls. 
    Occasionally, he’ll sell a hunt for a trophy. But, that’s rare. 
    He has two huge bucks right now. One I call Casanova and another I call Monster. Truly big for non bred or genetically enhanced deer. 
    edited November 2020 #14
    GunNut said:
    Congratulations to the young Hunter!  He’s got quite the score card going!!!
    I told him he’s done for awhile. 😁

I’m gonna shoot a couple and take some other folks out to shoot. 

We still have some other properties to cull off of as well. 
    CHIRO1989 said:
    I think the asymmetry in the rack looks pretty cool, looks like he saved you some heart this time, lets us know if you find the meat texture and flavor to be in a deer that old
    Yeah, finally!  I believe this is the biggest deer heart I’ve seen. 
    I gave the meat away to someone. Kept the heart, though. 
    Bigslug said:
    Zee said:
     From a management perspective, he would not grow bigger, likely not breed, and simply eat food and grow weaker.  
    Huh. . .I wonder if there's a Hornady 6.5mm heading MY way. . . :D

Impressive old animal that went down like a warrior, in spite of probably not having another year left in him.  Very, VERY cool!
    My boy asked why we shot him and I had to explain, you view the management of animals different than people. 😁
    Jayhawker said:
    Impressive old buck...it appears the whole thing came together in a grand way...Nice work!
    It worked out nice. 
    We obviously weren’t on a classic hunt from a stand. But, we made proper use of the opportunity provided to accomplish our end goal. 
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,300 Senior Member
    edited November 2020 #18
    Zee said:
    Yeah. He’s as tall as I am now. 😳
    As my late, favorite, 4'9" aunt used to say when I was growing up and comparing myself to her, "That's not saying much" 

:D:D:D 

(didn't they make a TV show about you, "Little People (who smell of cabbage), Big World") :p:p:p 
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Yeah, but I’m pretty sure he’s got more growing. 
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 6,094 Senior Member

Zee said: I told him he’s done for awhile. 😁

I’m gonna shoot a couple and take some other folks out to shoot. 

We still have some other properties to cull off of as well. 
    Good thing or he’s going to start thinking everyone has that much fun during hunting season!  😁
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,073 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    Diver43 said:
    He has two huge bucks right now. One I call Casanova and another I call Monster. Truly big for non bred or genetically enhanced deer. 
    All this time I thought the deer were being managed for hunting.

Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    edited November 2020 #22
    Diver43 said:
    Zee said:
    Diver43 said:
    All this time I thought the deer were being managed for hunting.

He used to advertise and outfit every year. In the past 5 years, he’s mostly stopped. Just likes having, raising, and enjoying nice deer. 
    Many of which eat out of your hand!  
    I think it’s been 2 years since he’s had paying hunters. Now it’s just a fun pastime for him and we get to help. 
    Is your buddy the rancher home yet?
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    CHIRO1989 said:
    Is your buddy the rancher home yet?
    This coming week. 
    edited November 2020 #25
    Good news, the holidays should be a bit more meaningful this year.

Be interesting to see how the deer react to his return.
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,566 Senior Member
    An experience that both of you will hold precious!  AWESOME!
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"