Home Main Category Hunting

Day off bird doggin

VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior MemberPosts: 7,439 Senior Member
edited November 2020 in Hunting #1
I went to the chiro at 1030 and was headed out hunting by 1130. I think they may have stocked, but the fields were already gone through. The large field in this area is probably 5 ac (1) and this part of the gamelands is completely in the pic. The best part about it is it is close, and we get some birds. We walked 1 N-S and about 1/2 way she pushed out to the E.

She wasnt real interested in the field we were in and headed to the woods. I'm up for it so into the multiflora we go. I kicked up the first one and it flew about 2 feet off the ground downhill (E) into a mess of multiflora, no shot. Elly got in and she was where I couldnt see her and couldnt get through. I finally broke into the field E of 2 to see her coming with the first bird. She must have decided I needed to see how it was done and the bird thought he could outrun a Blab on the ground. Didnt work out for him.

We hunted N from 2 bending E towards 4 then S towards 3. Came out of the brush and took a pass through 3 and then up the hill to 4 with no luck. Coming back the trail W, she was working the woods to the N and she put up a unlucky one. It flew to the trail and I had a nice clear shot, that the poor unlucky bird ran into and he went down S of 5. I got her to the south side and we went looking for a bird. She caught up to him and brought him to me.

She is getting pretty good at this. The limit in PA is 2, any sex, so we were done by 1230
It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.

Replies

• CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,841 Senior Member
    2 birds, one shot, can't argue with the results.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,978 Senior Member
    Looks like wonderful country to hunt. Haven't hunted pheasant since I was a teen but it was all corn field and fence lines back then. 
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,439 Senior Member
    PA is pretty much stocked birds only. Predators, building, and a overpopulation of deer has been rough on small game and birds. We but a pheasant stamp that the Game Commission uses to fund re-population efforts in some areas and they stock game lands from Game Commission farms. PA is different in that our Game Commission and Game Lands are NOT taxpayer funded. They are bought and maintained by hunter dollars, donations, and funds like Pittman Robinson. It works pretty well. Less govt interference and the citiots cant tell the Game Commission what to do. So when you hunt pheasants, you hunt them on game lands. Anything you dont get is hawk, eagle, or coyote food.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 1,900 Senior Member
    Nice job! Definitely different than our terrain, but hunting is hunting!
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain