Home Main Category Hunting

2nd moose for this season

TurdusMerulaTurdusMerula MemberPosts: 285 Member
Today was a lucky and successful day for me. Again as I managed to shot my second moose in this season.
Beatiful, crispy morning. Temperature a couple of degrees Celsius below the freezing point. I had been sitting in my post in a youngish, dense forest for a little over an hour when I saw from the between the pine   trees and spruce that a moose was walking towards me. I tried to figure out a spot where I can shoot it. 
I found one and hoped that it wouldn't change it's course in the next 30 yards as it stopped to listen the bark from the chasing daschund a few hundred yards behind.
It walked into small opening between the trees. I pulled the trigger and suppressor made the peculiar sound as the bullet left the barrel. I heard it hit the moose but didn't see where. 
Moose bolted to full speed and I tried to shoot it between the trees. I was sure that I missed the second shot but I wasn't worried as I was pretty sure the hit should be lethal. Then the moose stopped in a tiny opening between the trees about 100 yards from me. Very badly quartering but from the experience I knew that ttsx would penetrate without the problem I shot it into left side, aiming through the moose and it's chest with my x-ray vision.
Third bullet was in the air and I heard a loud thumb from the hit. Moose took a few steps and started to collapse. Fell down, managed to rise once more but fell down again and stayed down. I walked to the moose and gave it Coup de grâce as it was still alive. Most propably didn't know anything about this world anymore but I don't want them to suffer. So one more bullet into back of it's head and it was over.

Later in our club's slaughter house I saw that first shot was perhaps 7-8 inches too far back for my liking but it had punctured the lungs and the rumen was intact as I found out in the forrest where I had already gutted it. Second was a miss, unfortunately but the third had cut through 4 ribs and thought the boiler room and exited from the middle of the sternum. Just like I had planned.

To see a World in a Grain of Sand And a Heaven in a Wild Flower
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand And Eternity in an hour
-William Blake-

Replies

• LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,026 Senior Member
    Moose meat. YUUUM!

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,070 Senior Member
    Nice job and as always... BEAUTIFUL country
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

edited November 21 #4
    Curious....Just how many moose do you guys have? I think you've shot more than live in the entire state of Colorado. :)

Mike

ETA.....while I understand it, I still crack-up every time I think of a daschund chasing big game......
    N454casull
  • TurdusMerulaTurdusMerula Member Posts: 285 Member
    Curious....Just how many moose do you guys have? I think you've shot more than live in the entire state of Colorado. :)

Mike
    We try to keep the winter population a little shy 100 thousand. That requires about 50t annual moose kills.

Our club has had 12 moose permits this year. Earlier it’s been around 17 in a season. In the early 2000’s when the moose population was too big regarding the goals our club had 30 permits to kill a moose.
    -William Blake-
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 23,967 Senior Member
    Moose meat. YUUUM!

Mike
    That might be something I’ve never tried before, come to think of it. 
    😢
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    Wow....the moose population in Colorado (a decently large state) is a bit shy of 3000. For the entirety of North America the population is estimated at ~1 million. The vast majority live in Alaska and Canada.

I think I saw a moose once......but it might have been an elk. Moose are scarce in the lower 48 states. You're a lucky guy.

Mike
    N454casull
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,142 Senior Member
    Dang, those are massive animals. 

Congrats!  How munch meat do you get off an animal like that?
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,621 Senior Member
    Another good day and some good shooting! The dog looks a bit timid giving something that big the sniff test.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    Zee said:
    Moose meat. YUUUM!

Mike
    😢
    I've had it only once (thanks, JerryBobCo), but years later still consider it the best game meat I've ever eaten. 

Mike
    N454casull
    Zee said:
    Moose meat. YUUUM!

Mike
    😢
    I've had it only once (thanks, JerryBobCo), but years later still consider it the best game meat I've ever eaten. 

Mike
    Had some moose straps last Sunday

-William Blake-
    Wow....the moose population in Colorado (a decently large state) is a bit shy of 3000. For the entirety of North America the population is estimated at ~1 million. The vast majority live in Alaska and Canada.

I think I saw a moose once......but it might have been an elk. Moose are scarce in the lower 48 states. You're a lucky guy.

Mike
    200 yards from our door

-William Blake-
    Dang, those are massive animals. 

Congrats!  How munch meat do you get off an animal like that?
    Thanks!

This cow I shot today weighted 378lbs dressed. It will give about half of that when you process it and remove the bones.

My biggest cow weighted 598 lbs dressed (no head, guts, feet or hide)  so it gave a lot more
    -William Blake-
    Zee said:
    Moose meat. YUUUM!

Mike
    😢

Mike

much jealousy going on here......

Mike
    N454casull
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,903 Senior Member
    Once again Congratulations on a successful hunt.  Well done 
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,456 Senior Member
    Good for you!
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 23,967 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    Moose meat. YUUUM!

Mike
    😢

Mike

much jealousy going on here......

Mike
    Agree. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 1,851 Senior Member
    That is marvelous! Outstanding! 
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain