Home Main Category Hunting

Finally! A deer with a .338 Win Mag!

ZeeZee Senior MemberPosts: 24,352 Senior Member
I’ve always been enamored with the .338 Win Mag. Even more so after reading several Boddington articles. 
Several years ago, I bought a Tikka T3 Lite Stainless in .338 Win Mag. Loved that gun!  It was VIOLENT to shoot, even taking a chunk of skin out of a friends forehead. Unfortunately, I let GunNut talk me out of it in a moment of weakness. Then.........the bastard later sold it. 🤬
But, I’m not bitter about that Jedi Mind trick. I promise I’m over it.............I think. 😁
Aaaaaaannnyway...........fast forward to 2016 and a buddy of mine has a stainless Remington 700 in .338 WM he wants our Mentor to rebarrel to .300 Win Mag. I asked him if I could have the take off .338 barrel and he said I could. So, I quickly ran to Walmart and got a new Remington 700 ADL in 7mm Rem Mag for $324 as a donor action then dropped off both rifles to my Mentor. 
After replacing the trigger, bedding the factory stock, and painting it with AlumaHyde, I had a pretty decent looking .338 Win Mag!

After working up a load with 225gr Speed Deep Curl Bullets, she shot pretty well to boot!!

It’s taken awhile, but I finally got around to taking it hunting yesterday evening. While not intended to be a deer rifle, having elk in mind for its purpose, I’ve come to the conclusion I’ll likely never elk hunt again........so deer it is. 

"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

Replies

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,352 Senior Member
    I didn’t have to wait long before Old Man and Crazy 88 showed up. Neither of which travel the ranch very far. I’ve never seen Crazy 88 anywhere else and only have a few pics of Old Man at a nearby water trough. But, they were safe as I was after a 3.5 year old 4-Point cull. 
    Soon after, the 4-Point (who also has only been seen at this feeder) showed up and I got down to business. Waiting for him to turn broadside, I aimed high and behind the shoulder for a high lung shot, trying not to Jack up too much shoulder meat as I had no idea what damage this bullet would incur. 

At the shot, his back end collapsed and he spun 270 degrees on the ground. 

Old Man beat feet but Crazy 88 stopped for one last look before disappearing into the brush. 

In a few seconds all was still. 

• CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,837 Senior Member
    How did the bullet do? Good expansion based on the exit wound? I assume you did not recover the bullet.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    edited November 2020 #4
    .338 Win Mag
    225gr Deep Curl
    2,846 fps MV
    100yrds

Entrance

Exit

No bones struck on entrance. The bullet broke 2 ribs on exit. 
    And this is all that’s left after I process the deer. Of which all the meat was donated to a family who will appreciate. 

I’d aged the bucks at 3.5 years old on the hoof. At the barn I compared his jaw to our template and I’m happy to be getting pretty damn good at estimating age. Looking at the templates above and below, 3.5 was the best match. 

With so many bucks his age having 8 points or better, he wasn’t worth feeding to see what he’d become. 
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,837 Senior Member
    My reloading mentor had an antelope run 100 yds with a hole in him like that from a .340, it is a good hunting round, no problems tracking. 
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    edited November 2020 #6

CHIRO1989 said:
    How did the bullet do? Good expansion based on the exit wound? I assume you did not recover the bullet.
    Yeah no, it’s off into the wild blue yonder. I didn’t expect to catch the bullet in the deer. It appears to have done very well. More damage on the exit than I expected. I believe that had something to do with the bone fragments and the delayed temporary cavity of the stronger bullet not reaching full potential until later in the penetration. I seriously doubt it over expanded. 
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 6,095 Senior Member
    Ahemmmm, I did offer to sell it back to you... and you said no... seems you forgot that part of the story 🤣  plus talk about Jedi mind tricks, I let you have my .44mag Mountain gun, only to end up replacing it years later!!! 

Anyway, that’s a HELL of an exit hole! 😬
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

GunNut said:
    Ahemmmm, I did offer to sell it back to you... and you said no... seems you forgot that part of the story 🤣  plus talk about Jedi mind tricks, I let you have my .44mag Mountain gun, only to end up replacing it years later!!! 

Old age is kicking in. You didn’t offer it back. I didn’t find out until after the fact. Bastard. I mean.......friend. 😁
    Zee said:
    GunNut said:

Old age is kicking in. You didn’t offer it back. I didn’t find out until after the fact. Bastard. I mean.......friend. 😁
    You’ve had too many hits to the head to count on your memory reliably you big PIA, I mean buddy... 😘

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

This could be true. 
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,566 Senior Member
    Roasted Him!!!
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,073 Senior Member
    Impressive exit wound.
    Bet that family really enjoys the meat
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    Zee said:
    This could be true. 
    Admitting the problem is the first step 🤣🤣🤣

edited November 2020 #14
    GunNut said:
    Zee said:
    This could be true. 
    You’ll get there eventually. 😘
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,199 Senior Member
    Holy crap! That exit looks like you shot it with a creasote fence post!!!

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
    It ain’t small, that’s for sure. But, less “bloodshot” than with most of my .308s and 6.5s. 
    Zee said:
    GunNut said:
    Zee said:
    This could be true. 
    You’ll get there eventually. 😘
    Not me, I’m perfect....  get where?!?!?  What were we talking about? 

Yep. 
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,978 Senior Member
    Nice result. the vultures sure picked those bones clean.
    sakodude said:
    Nice result. the vultures sure picked those bones clean.
    I try not to feed the coyotes. 😁
    Here he is at the feeder on the Wednesday before we met. 

And when we met in person. 

Cool before and after pics!

• Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,898 Senior Member
    First rifle I built was a .338 mag on an 09 Argentine action. Mainly for Elk, and I was not over gunned for the 6X6 I shot in Idaho. Big, tough animals!!
    Big Al1 said:
    First rifle I built was a .338 mag on an 09 Argentine action. Mainly for Elk, and I was not over gunned for the 6X6 I shot in Idaho. Big, tough animals!!
    Pics or the rifle doesn’t exist. 😁
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 6,554 Senior Member
    That is a massive exit! Wow what would do a number on bigger critters. 
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
    Elk creek said:
    That is a massive exit! Wow what would do a number on bigger critters. 
    I’d love to try. Doubt it’ll ever happen now. 
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,898 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    Big Al1 said:
    Pics or the rifle doesn’t exist. 😁
    Since I don't hunt anymore, I gave it to my nephew a couple years ago as a wedding gift! So no current pics.

😢
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,904 Senior Member
    Zee said:

I’ve come to the conclusion I’ll likely never elk hunt again........so deer it is. 
    Best I can tell, it would only cost you $622, some time off from work and a successful draw to hunt a few hours from where I am in an areas you're familiar with..
    Successful draw is the issue. 
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,904 Senior Member
    That’s is the first issue. The second is, drawing in that unit means dealing with 50 billion other hunters. But it’s a nice elk area. 

I haven’t put in for the draw up there in a few years and didn’t draw when I did. My dad and buddy have applied every year and haven’t drawn in several years. I still plan to elk hunt up there with my 454 Casull Encore one of these years... Needless to say, it’s a lot cheaper for me..