Home Main Category Clubhouse

Few good shows on Netflix

Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior MemberJ&D Ranch - North Central TXPosts: 2,548 Senior Member
Since I'm still on disability we've been watching a lot of movies

Wife and I watched Mozul on Netflix.  We thought it was very good, based on true events in Iraq.  Good shoot'em up movie.

Hillbilly Elegy was pretty good.  

Rust Creek not very good

Watching the Queens Gambit now.  Really good series!
Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21

Replies

• zorbazorba Senior Member Merrritt Island, FLPosts: 25,219 Senior Member
    Wife got me to watch Queen's Gambit - that was quite good. Hillbilly Elegy wasn't bad either - wasn't what we expected, but it was still pretty good. That's more TV than I've watched for the entire year!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Panama City, Fl.Posts: 8,687 Senior Member
    Queens Gambit is not what you'd expect from a movie about Chess!! I really enjoyed it!!
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
    Loved Queens Gambit!  I think it was the New York Times that beat up on Ron Howard for excising the Conservative leanings from the original book/story out of Hillbilly Elegy when he made it into a movie.  One reviewer said it made a great story into a "nice" run of the mill movie.
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Colorado SpringsPosts: 7,821 Senior Member
    Queen's Gambit was one of the better movies I've seen in quite a while.
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • bellcatbellcat Senior Member South DakotaPosts: 2,040 Senior Member
    The Liberator is excellent. You have to get over the cartoon features, but the story line is incredible. 
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Central MNPosts: 14,659 Senior Member
    bellcat said:
    The Liberator is excellent. You have to get over the cartoon features, but the story line is incredible. 
    Read the book of the same title.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • waipapa13waipapa13 Senior Member Northland, New ZealandPosts: 954 Senior Member
    GunNut said:
    Loved Queens Gambit!  I think it was the New York Times that beat up on Ron Howard for excising the Conservative leanings from the original book/story out of Hillbilly Elegy when he made it into a movie.  One reviewer said it made a great story into a "nice" run of the mill movie.
    I read the book a few years ago, it's a good read and J.D Vance has some pretty interesting points of view (that I agree with) but arrives at them from angles I'd never considered.

I'd no idea that a movie had been made, I'll have to watch it but it's a shame to hear that the book was watered down to pander to Howard's vanities.
  • Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member J&D Ranch - North Central TXPosts: 2,548 Senior Member
    Wife and I finished Queens Gambit.  Just outstanding.  One of the best series we've seen.  

Enzo, I heard the same poor reviews on how Ron Howard made Hillbilly Elegy.   I didn't read the book but critics said he really portrayed it differently than the book and watered down would be a good way to put it.  Wish I had read the book.

Y'all need to watch Mozul

Wife and I finished Queens Gambit.  Just outstanding.  One of the best series we've seen.  

Enzo, I heard the same poor reviews on how Ron Howard made Hillbilly Elegy.   I didn't read the book but critics said he really portrayed it differently than the book and watered down would be a good way to put it.  Wish I had read the book.

Y'all need to watch Mozul
    Ye sir!  On my list 👍
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Podunk, Tx.Posts: 8,227 Senior Member
    I'm probably going to lose points off my man card for admitting this, but we just finished watching seasons 1-4 of "The Crown".  It's basically a biographical series base on Queen Elizabeth II's life as queen of England.  Season 4 ended with Charles and Diana both wanting out of their disaster of a marriage, but not yet making the break.  

We also watched the movie titled "The Queen", which stars Helen Mirren as the Elizabeth II, and is about how the crown reacted to Diana's death.

If you're an Anglophile, which I most certainly am not, you'll probably love both.  But, even for me, I found them both interesting and entertaining, and worth watching.

I'll go to my room now.

Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Merrritt Island, FLPosts: 25,219 Senior Member
    Wife watched both of those.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
  • Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member J&D Ranch - North Central TXPosts: 2,548 Senior Member
    I'm probably going to lose points off my man card for admitting this, but we just finished watching seasons 1-4 of "The Crown".  It's basically a biographical series base on Queen Elizabeth II's life as queen of England.  Season 4 ended with Charles and Diana both wanting out of their disaster of a marriage, but not yet making the break.  

We also watched the movie titled "The Queen", which stars Helen Mirren as the Elizabeth II, and is about how the crown reacted to Diana's death.

If you're an Anglophile, which I most certainly am not, you'll probably love both.  But, even for me, I found them both interesting and entertaining, and worth watching.

I'll go to my room now.

My wife is on season 4 and swears I have to watch it.  I'll probably join you with my man card being suspended!

My buddy’s mother is about to hit 100 years young and she is a bonafide Brit with high level ties, social and family, to Government and Royalty and lived through WWII working directly for Churchill.  

Her assessment of The Crown is that it’s a LOT more truth than the Royals will ever admit to.  In her words, right on the money...  My wife and I really liked seasons 1 and 2 so we have to catch up on the newer ones.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Central MNPosts: 14,659 Senior Member
    I have been watching the crown, it is pretty interesting watching how crisis is dealt with both in the family and in the country.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    What I found particularly of interest regarding The Crown is that they are/were consistently worried about the monarchy being done away with.  That was not something I expected.
    Jerry

If you're looking for a fun feel good movie that's just plain entertaining, watch Enola Holmes on Netflix.  My wife and I truly enjoyed this movie!

I've watched about half dozen of "The Last Kingdom" now, and am really enjoying them.  If you're into viking stuff, this one is for you.
    Jerry

We watched a docu-series called "The Last Czar" recently.  As the title suggests, it's about Czar Nicholas II and his family.  Nicholas was the last czar of Russia, and his family was murdered by the Bolsheveks (sp?).

Pretty good history lesson for those interested.
    Jerry

We watched a docu-series called "The Last Czar" recently.  As the title suggests, it's about Czar Nicholas II and his family.  Nicholas was the last czar of Russia, and his family was murdered by the Bolsheveks (sp?).

Pretty good history lesson for those interested.
    Wife and I watched that series a year or so ago.  Good series, I'll tell you what the wheels came off his cart.  He pretty much lost it mentally as I recall!

• BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 9,696 Senior Member
    Wife & I have been working our way through Dark Matter.  The adventures of a group of mind-wiped mercenary space pirates trying to decide if they really have the character to be mercenary space pirates.  Having fun with it.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
    Wife and I just finished the 1st season of Northern Rescue.  I don't recommend it as it wasn't that good!  We both said we'll pass on season two if it comes out!

• PFDPFD Senior Member PNWPosts: 1,840 Senior Member
    We watched 6 underground last night on Netflix.
    Very much a Ryan Renoylds movie .
    Sort of like Dead pool but back when he was a.cop.
    Excellent action flick.
    That's all I got.

Paul
    Wife and I started watching the series evil on Netflix.  Pretty good series so far.

Thanks for the referral on 6 Underground.  we'll check that one out!