Home Main Category General Firearms

CCI #34 primers question

gunner81gunner81 MemberPosts: 543 Senior Member
I ended up with a full box of CCI #34 primers and the box says (for 7.62 ammunition ) they are for large rifle and some believe that they are magnum primers now 7.62 ammo covers a lot of area I don't think they will be an issue and I will work my loads up from starting loads and I've done the same with trying mag primers in place of large rifle primers and I've never noticed a difference so if anyone has done this or has any words of wisdom please let me know

Replies

• mitdr774mitdr774 Member Posts: 1,582 Senior Member
    My understanding is that they are for use in 7.62x51 intended for autoloading firearms.  Much like the CCI #41 is for 5.56x45 in AR platforms.  As far as I have been able to come up with they have a thicker cup to reduce the chance of a floating firing pin setting the primer off.  I see no reason you couldnt use them just the same as any other primer.  Just have to work up your load for the different primer.  
  • gunner81gunner81 Member Posts: 543 Senior Member
    I'll probably just use them in the AR-10 308 pretty much their intended       use just wondered if there was any info on them but I still don't know if they're magnum primers or not but it really doesn't make difference to mea
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,871 Senior Member
    They're supposed to be a hotter magnum like charge,  but a thicker cup for service rifles,  especially* those with floating firing pins,  like the Garand and M1A's, to prevent slam fires
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.