Home Main Category General Firearms

Online Scammers

DancoDanco Posts: 3 New Member
edited December 2020 in General Firearms #1
With the ammo shortage you have probably encountered price gougers.  Now comes the scammers!  Just ran across a website that claims to have ammo available.  I went through the "happy monkey dance" with them.  RED FLAGS:  Cash payment required upfront using a service like PayPal to an individual (no merchant account) ;  promise to furnish USPS tracking number (USPS ammo shipment is illegal).  Also, determined that seller had no inventory, just a web storefront.

Replies

• NNNN Posts: 25,235 Senior Member
    Actually, if a shipper jumps through the right hoops and turns over a package to the Post Office for final delivery, it is not illegal. I have gotten AMMO properly marked ORMD delivered by the Postman.

Postman got uptight, and went to his boss and found out it was legal.

All that being said, I agree that the site you wrote about is a scam, hey.
  • AlleyCatAlleyCat Posts: 483 Member
    Thank goodness you could come here and tell the world all about it.

• Diver43Diver43 Posts: 12,753 Senior Member
    Until there is a real consequence scammer will never go away.  They need to be tracked down and thrown in jail forn20 years or get a hand chopped off, their choice.  That will put a stop to this nonsense. 
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • DancoDanco Posts: 3 New Member
    edited December 2020 #5
    Website scam has been reported to law enforcement via ic3.gov
  • Gene LGene L Posts: 12,816 Senior Member
    I think you can mail ammo through USPS.  Just can't remember, but I think I've both mailed and received ammo before.  Speaking of scams, I recently got an email that said my Amazon credit card was out of date and I needed to update it.  Since I knew my credit card was in fact in date,  a glance at their form told me they wanted my card number so they could withdraw money.  Fat chance.  Also got a bill for about $20 or so for my email host site; another scam.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • DancoDanco Posts: 3 New Member
    If you do not have previous experience with an online seller, please visit:   
                               https://www.scam-detector.com   
    The scan is free. There are many online scams that involve products (like ammo) that are in short supply. 
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Posts: 14,844 Senior Member
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11