Home Main Category Clubhouse

Covid update

Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior MemberJ&D Ranch - North Central TXPosts: 2,548 Senior Member
I got out of the hospital on Nov 12th.  I started rehab on 16th.  I could walk one lap around the indoor track at the rehab facility which is 68 yards.  I had to use the walker and my physical therapist held my belt to keep me steady. 

I've progressed fairly well.  Yesterday I walked a half mile on my own though I'm gonna try a mile maybe two this weekend.  I've gained 12 pounds and still need to gain another 12.  My strength is a lot better though not great.  I can pick up our 7lb yorkie now without fear dropping him.  They have me working on all the weight machines and each week I keep adding the next weight level.  I think they're helping the most!

I started back to work 1/2 days on the 14th of Dec.  More normalcy in my life.  I'm an engineer so I work from my home office at my computer.  It's been good getting back into the swing of things.  I still need at least an hour nap each day.  I'm usually in bed around 9:30 and up at 8 or maybe 8:15.  I go to rehab from 10 to 11 each morning, come home and nap for an hour.  They wear me out but it's all good.

I go back full time next Monday the 4th.  I'm not tied to a clock or given working hours so I'll still get my nap in.  Folks don't understand what a toll this took on my body though my wife sees it.  Naps are good and really help me make it through the rest of the day.

I have a doctors appt with my Pulmanologist next Tuesday in Dallas.  Lots of testing and lung x-rays.  Last time I saw him I asked him when I would get back to normal.  He said maybe late spring early summer.  Then said it may be a new normal.  Then a full physical on Friday!

I want to go scuba diving so badly though not now.  Wife and I are hoping by end of the summer.  My wife's hospital chain has a hyperbaric chamber in Dallas.  Scuba divers have been scheduling appoints to check out if they're dive ready.  I'm hoping by mid summer to be well enough to go in and get tested.  I figure a controlled environment is better than falling off a boat and descending into the depths to see what happens!

All in all doing well and had a great Christmas!   Happy New Years Everyone!
Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21

Replies

• Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Panama City, Fl.Posts: 8,687 Senior Member
    Glad you beat the plague and on the mend!! Sounds like it was a good thing you were healthy to begin with!!
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Central MNPosts: 14,659 Senior Member
    Good to hear hey. Start walking the property with a rifle, start training early.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 12,309 Senior Member
    “   I still need at least an hour nap each day.  I'm usually in bed around 9:30 ”

Uhh...  is it bad that I am already meeting those criteria?

glad you are doing better, Jeff. Keep it up!
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Between Ft Lauderdale and MiamiPosts: 12,556 Senior Member
    Keep up the hard work Jeff.
    So glad you are progressing. 
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • minnesotashooterminnesotashooter Senior Member Posts: 828 Senior Member
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 4,772 Senior Member
    Glad to hear you're doing better and better with each passing day. Keep at it. 👍

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,750 Senior Member
    My shooting buddy is doing better, but recovery is slow.  His wife is asymptomatic so far, tested negative although according to him, she's feeling kinda bad. I'm glad Jeff is doing better, apparently he had a more serious case than Eric, my shooting bud. Who is/was sick, but it's slowly getting better.  I hope everyone out there can avoid it and if you do have it, heal quickly.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • BamaakIIBamaakII Posts: 479 Member
    edited January 2021 #9
    Glad you are doing well.  A friend and former coworker passed today.  He made it off the vent and was in rehab when his lung collapsed and he could not recover from it.  Somewhat of a local celebrity, Bama Zack lived for football, especially Alabama football.  Coached kids at local schools even though he was maybe 4'6". The local news did a tribute to him tonight.  RIP Zack , I bet you'll be watching monday next to Bear.
  • Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member J&D Ranch - North Central TXPosts: 2,548 Senior Member
    edited January 2021 #10
    Bamaakll, Very sorry to hear about your friends passing. Covid is very scary. Eighty Five percent of all patients at my wife's hospital are Covid.

I went to the pulmonary (lung) doctor yesterday for the first time since I've been home. My lung functions are up to 61%. My chest x-ray is clear. However, my right lung diaphragm is partially or fully paralyzed. He wants to do a sniff test which is a live x-ray to see what's really happening. The doc said it's usually caused by a back or neck injury of which I can't remember happening. Also, this could have just happened with the diaphragm, happened years ago or I could have had it all my life. Not much they can do to fix it. He'll also do a CT Scan to see the real extent of scaring in my lungs, though he was pleased with how clear my chest x-ray was.

All in all he said I was doing good. By late spring I should be back to my new normal what ever that will be. Again, sorry to hear about your friend!
    Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Podunk, Tx.Posts: 8,227 Senior Member
    Wishing you the best, Jeff.  Hopefully, you feel a little better after watching the Orange Bowl. :)

I just learned that my step-daughter has been exposed to covid, but I don't know if she has it.  Hopefully not.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.