Home Main Category Clubhouse

2021 CFP Championship

knitepoetknitepoet Senior MemberPosts: 21,300 Senior Member

Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Replies

• jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,194 Senior Member
    Hey.... I was hopeful for almost 15 minutes.

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,064 Senior Member
    How did I know you were going to make this post :)

Congrats to 'Bama and friends.  You kicked butt and took names.   OSU losing Sermon early on helped, but "Bama losing Smith early in the 2nd half sort of balanced that out.

Now we'll see the final rankings.  I'm hoping that my Aggies move to 4 or possibly even 3.

Once again, congrats.  
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,300 Senior Member
    I also thought it was great that our injured senior center was allowed to go in and snap the ball for the last two "victory formations"
    I honestly expected a MUCH closer game and, really, thought OSU might win, based on their performance against Clemson
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• bhl2506bhl2506 Senior Member Posts: 1,959 Senior Member
    edited January 12 #5
    Bama took care of business. Kept osu on their heels the whole game. Congrats to Bama!
    Refusing to conform to the left wing mantra of political correctness by insisting on telling the truth does not make you a loud mouth.
    Besides the obviously injured players, I bet there are a WHOLE BUNCH of young men feeling that game this morning.
    That was one hard fought game on both sides

• N454casullN454casull Member Posts: 598 Senior Member
    This isn’t an anti Alabama rant. Or an anti sports rant. 

I’m tired of football I’m not an Alabama fan so I have no real dog in the fight but man is it getting old watching the same old teams every freaking year. It gets to be wait what year is this game from? Cause it could be from any of the last 6? And it’s not just college. My children play on the high school team that has won 4 out of the last 5 state championships. Most games are blowouts to the tune of 35 to 40 points ahead well before halftime. It’s so boring to goto their games. The state title game is usually close which is fun and exciting to watch. But the same old same old well it just gets old. 
    My response to folks that are tired of seeing 'Bama in the championship game is simple, "Field a team good enough to beat them"

• jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,194 Senior Member
    The difference in intensity from the Clemson game was clear. 

Once Sermon went out it waned even further. Thought Master Teague might spark but it didn't last long. 

When Fields started his habit of under and over throwing. A slim chance went to no chance... Although when the back of your uniform has that many grass stains.......

I think Day got coaching advice from Tressel. You can't play conservatively against a team with more talent.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
    They definitely gave Bama plenty of clear underneath routes.

knitepoet said:
    My response to folks that are tired of seeing 'Bama in the championship game is simple, "Field a team good enough to beat them"
    Some have but again always the same teams. There’s very little parody in sports it’s great if it’s your team but to the casual fan, boring. 

• JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 2,259 Senior Member
    knitepoet said:
    Some have but again always the same teams. There’s very little parody in sports it’s great if it’s your team but to the casual fan, boring. 

It goes in cycles. Long cycles, but cycles nonetheless. Remember when Texas was always a contender? Not so much anymore. I went to FSU so I can definitely relate...FSU had a 14 year run never being ranked out of the top 5 and this year couldn't seem to beat a solid high school team.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,821 Senior Member
    knitepoet said:

Everybody gets a trophy so no team feels inadequate?  I don't think so, Scooter.   No, some are better coached, which attracts better players, which wins games. Saben's 7 National Championships and he's almost 70 years old and had to work hard all of his career, and he learned from past experience.  I think there's plenty of room at the top if other coaches coach and recruit the best players possible.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
    Gene L said:
    knitepoet said:

Everybody gets a trophy so no team feels inadequate?  I don't think so, Scooter.   No, some are better coached, which attracts better players, which wins games. Saben's 7 National Championships and he's almost 70 years old and had to work hard all of his career, and he learned from past experience.  I think there's plenty of room at the top if other coaches coach and recruit the best players possible.
    Easy there Scooter, no one at anytime said everyone should get a trophy. No one said anything disparaging against Saban (with an a) or Alabama. They’ve had a great run congrats to them. I’m just lamenting as a fan of college football over all there’s not much parody. Lately it’s lost some of its appeal to me. 

But if you want me to I’ll say something bad. Saban is a good coach and Alabama is a good team but eventually their reign will end and how will it end just like everyone else’s has NCAA violations and sanctions. 
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,064 Senior Member
    edited January 12 #15
    Saban wins his games during recruit season.  He usually has the best recruiting class in the country.  You gotta give him credit for that.

[ETA]

Disclaimer:  I'm not a 'Bama fan, but I did want to see them win last night.

To the point I made above, though, consider the following.

The Tide had:

The Heisman Trophy winner (Smith), who was also awarded Player of the year.

The Davy O'Brien winner (Mac Jones), which is awarded to the best qb in college football.  Jones was also a finalist for the Heisman.

The Doak Walker winner (Harris), which is awarded to the best running back of the year.

Their offensive line won the Moore award, which is awarded to the best offensive line of the year.

There might have been some others that I don't know about, but this is how you win national championships.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,838 Senior Member

I’m tired of football I’m not an Alabama fan so I have no real dog in the fight but man is it getting old watching the same old teams every freaking year. It gets to be wait what year is this game from? Cause it could be from any of the last 6? And it’s not just college. My children play on the high school team that has won 4 out of the last 5 state championships. Most games are blowouts to the tune of 35 to 40 points ahead well before halftime. It’s so boring to goto their games. The state title game is usually close which is fun and exciting to watch. But the same old same old well it just gets old. 
    You could try being a Vikings fan for a year or two :D
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,821 Senior Member
    Didn't mean to be offensive.  I'm a Bama fan when they're playing outside the SEC, always, and sometimes during SEC.  I've liked them since Bear Bryant when they were struggling against Notre Dame. I think a lot of Southerners kinda adopted Alabama during those years when no other Southern teams had a chance against major teams outside the SEC.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
    CHIRO1989 said:

You could try being a Vikings fan for a year or two :D
    lol before I quit watching all mainstream pro sports I was a Seattle fan. And well Seattle whatever pick your sport in my opinion is the king of the let down build you up during the regular season only to get blown out in the early playoffs. 
    Gene L said:
    knitepoet said:

Easy there Scooter, no one at anytime said everyone should get a trophy. No one said anything disparaging against Saban (with an a) or Alabama. They’ve had a great run congrats to them. I’m just lamenting as a fan of college football over all there’s not much parody. Lately it’s lost some of its appeal to me. 

But if you want me to I’ll say something bad. Saban is a good coach and Alabama is a good team but eventually their reign will end and how will it end just like everyone else’s has NCAA violations and sanctions. 
  • BamaakIIBamaakII Posts: 292 Member
    There always been dynasties in college football but the NCAA did themselves no favors by adding so many teams to D1 or FBS or whatever they call it.  Something like 250 some teams in D1 with only maybe 10 with a chance to ever win a national title.  All about the Benjamin's for the rest.