Home Main Category General Firearms

CZ in final stages of acquiring Colt

JKPJKP Senior MemberPosts: 2,259 Senior Member
Interesting. They seem to have done well with the Dan Wesson acquisition and kept that product quality at the same level, but Colt potentially owned by a foreign company!

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/breaking-cz-in-late-stage-talks-to-acquire-colt/

Replies

• bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,247 Senior Member
    CZOLT!

This excites me.  CZ has my forever Fanboi status, and Colt is a company that definitely needs new management..
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,073 Senior Member
    I bet they do well,  but wish it was an American Company
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,849 Senior Member
    CZOLT!

This excites me.  CZ has my forever Fanboi status, and Colt is a company that definitely needs new management..

WORD.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,345 Senior Member
    John Moses BRNOwing?
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,838 Senior Member
    I have a CZ/Colt gun, it is a good shooter.

I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,519 Senior Member
    edited January 13 #7
    One of my favorite statements about CZ vs. Colt is that you can take the 2003 Colt commercial product catalog, compare it to the current one, and not find a whole lot of difference.  If CZ was run by Colt, it would be selling base CZ 75s in multiple finishes, with varying QC.
    Overkill is underrated.
    CHIRO1989 said:

I have one of those!
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    CHIRO1989 said:

I have one of those!
    I got mine from CDNN for $250 plus shipping and FFL fee! I wish I could find a couple more magazines, just because, do you ever carry yours? Which holster do you have?
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    I used to carry it back in the days of 10 round magazines. It’s now just a part of my CZ collection.

The holsters I had were a FIST (now out of business), and a high noon OWB
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    I used to carry it back in the days of 10 round magazines. It’s now just a part of my CZ collection.

The holsters I had were a FIST (now out of business), and a high noon OWB
    Ok, thanks
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 6,095 Senior Member
    Interesting!  I’ve never seen one of those CZ 40 B.
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 6,554 Senior Member
    Winchester leverguns as Americans as apple pie are made in Japan, and better might I add. Belgium browning are a premium. High powers were made/assembled in Portugal. Most of the best shotguns have made in Italy stamped on the barrel. Uberti makes a better single action than colt. Begara are Spanish. Ruger is left...... well then and high point. One great company makes guns  here, one makes “guns.” Tell me how just because it’s an American company make good guns. Look at Remington they botched an entire family of gun companies during a time of record sales. I say great maybe CZ/Colt will make good Colts again. 

Ok rant over. 

Its a damn shame that these big companies like colt and Remington can’t figure out to make a product that customers want. hell all colt had to do was build a decent single action for a reasonable price! $100 more for a colt over an Italian Stallion? you bet!  An 870, 700, that work at working mans prices, you bet! Offer an upgraded  line too. IT AINT THAT HARD! Piss poor management, and lack of direction (other that down the swirler) and entitlement that’s what killed these companies. Well that and  the  workers union for Remington fighting to keep it Nooo Yawk....guys you have a company that wants to make the stuff you are trained to make in a place that you can actually own it! What the hell, quit bitching and get packing! 
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,444 Senior Member
    CZ is a no bull squeeze GUN company that makes high quality products. They know how to run a company that puts out what the buyers want. I bet they will make the Prancing Pony a contender again.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,345 Senior Member
    It will be interesting to see where it goes.  I think it's a good fit - if nothing else, CZ is one of the few remaining companies that manufacture by the process of "Take a giant block of steel and mill off everything that doesn't look like a gun", so at least they understand what Colt does and the appeal that holds.

But Colt is going to be painted into a tricky corner by its past no matter what.  They are known for Browning's autos, duty revolvers, and the AWESOME attention they paid to finish prior to the 1980's - - none of which carries much weight in today's "I want a tool that works for as little as I can get it for" climate.  That kind of thing will always have SOME market demand, but enough to sustain a company on when a Glock will pass all the military torture testing the 1911 did for a third or less money????? 

Smith & Wesson seems to have successfully made the jump to polymer and roll pins with the M&P line, and truthfully, Colt has already been there for a long time with their AR-15's.  They SHOULD be able to pull something good out of this...
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,794 Senior Member
    edited January 16 #16
    This is a good thing. CZ understands shooters and understands the market. 

I'll bet dollars to donuts CZ will do a few things:
    - Sell high quality GI spec 1911's on the Colt name
    - Position "modern spec" Colt 1911's in the $750-$1100ish range, below where the Dan Wesson line starts
    - Sell ARs

Revolvers? Hopefully. I'd love to see the Python produced with oversight from a company than can actually manage QC. 

Above all, this is a great way for CZ to get into the AR market and get a better stronghold in Mil/LE without the eye roll that comes with ANOTHER AR brand joining the market. 

Hey Enzo! Remember your rants about how bad gun companies are at marketing (Like Leupold having a $150 optic and a $4000 optic on the same brand name)? I bet a Shield Arms S-15 mag that CZ is doing this right. 
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 6,095 Senior Member
    This is a good thing. CZ understands shooters and understands the market. 

I'll bet dollars to donuts CZ will do a few things:
    - Sell high quality GI spec 1911's on the Colt name
    - Position "modern spec" Colt 1911's in the $750-$1100ish range, below where the Dan Wesson line starts
    - Sell ARs

Revolvers? Hopefully. I'd love to see the Python produced with oversight from a company than can actually manage QC. 

Above all, this is a great way for CZ to get into the AR market and get a better stronghold in Mil/LE without the eye roll that comes with ANOTHER AR brand joining the market. 

Hey Enzo! Remember your rants about how bad gun companies are at marketing (Like Leupold having a $150 optic and a $4000 optic on the same brand name)? I bet a Shield Arms S-15 mag that CZ is doing this right. 
    I agree on all points and I’m not taking that bet 🤣👍👍
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,849 Senior Member
    In other news, Hi-Point to acquire CZ... ;)
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,816 Senior Member
    Colt made some other very nice snake guns. Especially the snubbys.
  • Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior Member Posts: 1,394 Senior Member
    If this happens, I hope my Colt Cobra appreciates.