Home Main Category General Firearms

Red Dot

bellcatbellcat Senior MemberPosts: 1,932 Senior Member
I think I’d like to mount a red dot on my S&W 2.0....45acp. 

I’ve never purchased or mounted one, and would like some advice. Also, what do I need to pay for a dependable and functional unit without breaking the bank?

Thanks for your help.

Mark
"Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain

Replies

• BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,496 Senior Member
    Several things:

C&H Precision Weapon Systems mounting plate - completely fills the gap in the slide, which will take some of the potential shear forces off the mounting screws, and their claim to fame is more threads holding the plate down.  They come with a packet of VC-3 threadlocker - follow the instructions & it seems to do the job.  Clean the screws and holes with acetone before you apply.

Bang for buck - really liking Holosun.  407 and 507 line good sights.  509T: fully enclosed emitter probably easier to clean and more crud-resistant overall.

You're gonna want to get, or borrow, a low-range torque wrench that will let you cover the 8-12 inch-pound range.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 4,111 Senior Member
    can I piggy back on here. What would be the best mount option for an M&P 40 without the slide cut for the mount?
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,496 Senior Member
    edited January 16 #4
    sakodude said:
    can I piggy back on here. What would be the best mount option for an M&P 40 without the slide cut for the mount?
    Duct tape? :D

Leupold Deltapoint Micro is probably the only game in town - two versions to install in the sight cut of either a Glock or an M&P.

CHPWS can mill your slide.  Depends on your overall game plan.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,843 Senior Member
    Holosun is probably the best "bang for your buck" MRDS that has a proven track record without breaking the bank. I have a friend who's a pretty serious trigger puller with a major metro LE agency who has had enough break that his PD doesn't allow them anymore, but realistically the average hobbyist will be fine (and to be honest, I'd probably still be fine with one in general).

As far as mounting without milling your gun, options are limited but they exist:

- Buy a second slide with M&P's CORE mounting system
    - Buy a Dueck Defense rear plate: https://dueckdefense.com/shop/handguns/sw-mp/rbu-trijicon-rmr-smith-wesson-mp/

I've played with a Dueck Defense plate and they're... okay. It's not a bad way to experiment with a RDS to see if you like it before pulling the trigger on a new gun/slide/milling. 

You have a PM coming your way. 
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
    edited January 16 #6
    I will also say that, if you're willing to have your slide cut on, milling is the best way to go. The obvious disadvantage to this is you're stuck with the "footprint" IE mounting pattern of that RDS. Fortunately the industry seems to be moving towards either RMR or Delta Point Pro footprints in general, with some exceptions (micros, Aimpoint ACRO, Holosun 509T). 

Be careful, you'll get addicted! Despite the luddite attitude of many here, if you can stomach the extra cost and dedicate some time to training, a MRDS handgun really is a great tool and a joy to shoot. 
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
  • JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 2,330 Senior Member
    Holosun is probably the best "bang for your buck" MRDS that has a proven track record without breaking the bank. I have a friend who's a pretty serious trigger puller with a major metro LE agency who has had enough break that his PD doesn't allow them anymore, but realistically the average hobbyist will be fine (and to be honest, I'd probably still be fine with one in general).

As far as mounting without milling your gun, options are limited but they exist:

- Buy a second slide with M&P's CORE mounting system
    - Buy a Dueck Defense rear plate: https://dueckdefense.com/shop/handguns/sw-mp/rbu-trijicon-rmr-smith-wesson-mp/

I've played with a Dueck Defense plate and they're... okay. It's not a bad way to experiment with a RDS to see if you like it before pulling the trigger on a new gun/slide/milling. 

You have a PM coming your way. 
    What police department is running red dot sights on handguns?
    JKP said:

What police department is running red dot sights on handguns?
    Houston PD is requiring them for new academy cadets, and numerous LE agencies authorize them. I am not aware of a comprehensive list that has been consolidated anywhere. 

• sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 4,111 Senior Member
    Thanks for the advice and links. These old eyes aren't loving pistol sights these days so I'm interested in giving an MRD a try.