Home Main Category Clubhouse

Recommended Reading....especially for you Texans

JayhawkerJayhawker ModeratorPosts: 17,214 Senior Member
I read a lot of historical works, but this book is by far one of the best I've ever read...

"Empire of the Summer Moon..Quanah Parker and the Rise and Fall of the Comanches, the most powerful Indian Tribe in American History"...by S.C. Gwynne..

Outstanding writing...quite the departure from typical "history" books...the author really knows how to tell a story, it just grabs you in the first few pages...
Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"

Replies

• JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,159 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    I read a lot of historical works, but this book is by far one of the best I've ever read...

"Empire of the Summer Moon..Quanah Parker and the Rise and Fall of the Comanches, the most powerful Indian Tribe in American History"...by S.C. Gwynne..

Outstanding writing...quite the departure from typical "history" books...the author really knows how to tell a story, it just grabs you in the first few pages...

I'll have to get that and read it. Thanks for the note.

Quanah Parker's mother was a white woman who was captured when she was young. Her name was Cynthia Anne Parker. She is one of my ancestors.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,214 Senior Member
    There is a LOT of stuff in that book about the Parkers...What an incredibly rich heritage you have...the Parkers were some of the first white folks to settle in Texas...tied up with the Texas Rangers...Wow!
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,798 Senior Member
    Thanks for the tip. I'll check it out, when I finish Ameritopia.
    You planted the seed in my little brain, and I couldn't resist checking it out. I downloaded it onto my Kindle and read some before I left for work. I had to tear myself away, after reading the first account of Quanah Parker in battle. I grew up hearing my dad tell Quanah Parker stories. We often traveled through the towns of Quanah and Nocona on our trips to my grandparents, and my dad had read a lot of the history, and was a good storyteller. Heck, I can remember one Sunday afternoon when we drove all over the panhandle trying to find Adobe Wells.

I guess I'll stretch out the other book and make it last a while...but this one I will devour in a couple of days.
    JerryBobCo wrote: »
    Quanah Parker's mother was a white woman who was captured when she was young. Her name was Cynthia Anne Parker. She is one of my ancestors.

In a similar vein, I met a young feller of about 85, named Goodnight, recently. I asked him if he was related to Charles Goodnight, and he was extremely pleased to meet someone who even knew who the man was. His great grandfather was old Charley's nephew.
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,159 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    There is a LOT of stuff in that book about the Parkers...What an incredibly rich heritage you have...the Parkers were some of the first white folks to settle in Texas...tied up with the Texas Rangers...Wow!

Thanks, but on further reflection, I believe I mis-spoke. I'm not so much a descendant of Cynthia Ann Parker as distantly related. As far back as I can remember, I've been told this by older relatives. I just got it confused.

But, regarding my heritage, I totally agree. My dad's mother's maiden name was Gotcher. Do a google search on that name and you will find quite a bit of information regarding my family.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,981 Senior Member
    One of the best and most accurate books I've ever read.
    JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT