Home Main Category Hunting

A cunning ground squirrel

BazzalooBazzaloo Posts: 27 New Member
edited January 17 in Hunting #1
I was telling this story to a friend of mine in Ca. who is about to go ground squirrel
shooting at a place he has access to that carries thousands of the critters. He has
fitted tuners on his rifle barrels and now they shoot into one hole at 100 yards.

One time up on the Tejon Ranch during the off season I was shooting ground
squirrels with my accuarized 10/22.  I drove my big Ford van up near a downed tree
lying horizontal where I'd shot many of them in the past but on this occasion I saw
nary a one even as I scanned the area with my binos.........Puzzling!

It was so unusual not to see one there that I took a 2nd look with the glass. Suddenly,
I saw an eye. It was inside the trunk of the downed tree and looking out through a knot
hole that was about 2" in. diam. One of the little was watching me from the
safety of the inside of the tree.

By this time I had to drop and the rise of the bullet I was using down pat so I estimated
the distance to be about 35 yards. At that distance the bullet was traveling about 1/2" low
so I compensated for it and put one through that knot hole and nailed his ................
It made my day.

Bazzaloo.

Replies

• LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,251 Senior Member
    I know you're new here because I just approved your request for membership. We'd love to hear your stories, but watch your language on this site.. I deleted a couple words from your very first post and don't intend to make a habit of it.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,888 Senior Member
    I think those little Ruger carbines have killed more critters than a beach has sand.

Sometimes them squirrels will run in a circle after a head shot. Cotton tails will let out a scream. 

I always liked the quiet of an ice cold dawn more than pullin' the trigger.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,513 Senior Member
    edited January 17 #4
    Welcome!

Somewhat of a sudden first post but I can appreciate the zeal. 

How about a bit about yourself or as much as you’d like to share about you and your interests. 

Shooting Ground Squirrels - Check!
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • BazzalooBazzaloo Posts: 27 New Member
    Okay, you asked for it ......Ha,ha!  You may be sorry later........Well, what the heck, I am an Australian but also a citizen of the U.S.A. and live for 35 yrs. in Ca.  Whew! am I glad to be out of there and relocated back to N.S.W. up in the New England District on the western slopes of the Great Dividing range.

I live in a relatively small town of 16,000 at an altitude of 1930' above sea level. Chosen for its lack of extremes,  meaning temperature. It never gets too hot nor too cold.........bloody perfect.

I've been a hunter since I was a kid. I shot kangaroos for a living, worked for a major airline company for 14 1/2 yrs. Sailed off the England in 1965 where I ran a bus company amogst other things in East Grinstead, Sussex. I hunted rabbits, squirrels, wood pigeons and pheasants while there.

Next, I landed in Austin Texas where I hunted jack rabbits and deer, that was 1968/69. Drove up to Canada,
    B.C.  but wasn't welcome there and was asked to leave. From there it was back to Australia once more.
    Two years later I was back in the States in Studio City, Ca. where I stayed for 35 yrs.

While there I hunted Santa Cruz island , Catalina Island, the Tejon Ranch, Elk in Oregon, deer in Colorado, coyotes all over. I've hunted doves, quail, bobcat, pigs, deer of course and turkey. Not to forget duck hunting in season. I warned you it's a long history and I have a heap of stories to tell.

Bazzaloo.
    Reply to Linefinder...............You admonishment has been noted and I will comply.......................Bazz.
    Well done!  I think you’ll fit in nicely here. 
    Nice background and experience. 

Remember, pics are always nice, for those of us less traveled. We can live vicariously through others and their pictures. 
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,888 Senior Member
    Was you ever part of a jack rabbit drive there in Texas? I read towns use to do that to be rid of em'. In the 1930's I think.

Does kangaroo taste good?
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,251 Senior Member
    Welcome aboard! Glad to have you.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,936 Senior Member
    Welcome hey! Do you prefer Winchester or Marlin lever actions?
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,811 Senior Member
    Welcome aboard
    I thought Australia was a great place to visit.
    We made a port call in USS Midway at Freemantle/Perth in 1979 on the way to 70
    days of boredom on Gonzo Station off the coast of Iran.
    I was a Navy guy too. The Australian Navy in 1954..........that seems a damned long timer ago doesn't it?

Bazzaloo
  • bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 1,914 Senior Member
    Welcome! And good background! 

Do you prefer the 270 Winchester to all other calibers?
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain
    Bazzaloo said:
    I was a Navy guy too. The Australian Navy in 1954..........that seems a damned long timer ago doesn't it?

Bazzaloo
    That it was. 

We’re you still using sails back then?
    😁
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,936 Senior Member
    CHIRO1989 said:
    Welcome hey! Do you prefer Winchester or Marlin lever actions?
    Just a bit'O hazing, we had an epic thread on this topic, in the *archives* of previous forms of this forum.  
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,143 Senior Member
    Welcome.  Have to beware of those SF Squirrels.   You did good finding that one.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,112 Senior Member
    Welcome.  Happy to have you aboard.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
    Bazzaloo said:

Bazzaloo
    We had 2 detachments from Marine squadrons aboard to support lack of Navy resources and planning.
    Interesting..............the Aussie Navy doesn't have Marines. Come to think of it
    none of the other branches of the military do either.

Bazz