Home Main Category Clubhouse

3D archery shoot

JayJay Senior MemberPosts: 4,349 Senior Member
My dad was an archery fanatic. Always seemed to be buying the latest and greatest bows and gear. He loved it. Every time he bought a new bow, he would give his previous bow to a friend or family member. He was always generous that way and I'm sure took pride in the fact that he was getting his friends and family members into archery. I have never really been much of an archery guy. It's been a very long time since I've shot bows. Until now.

When my dad passed, he had two very nice bows. Both Mathews; a Halon and a Vertix. The Halon is set up as a target/3D bow and the Vertix was his hunting bow. I wasn't sure what I wanted to do with them and had placed them in storage for the time being.  Until last weekend...

A close friend of mine who was like a son to my dad is also into archery, as is my brother in law. They used to come out to the farm every Sunday and shoot with dad while I just watched, visited and drank beer. Last Sunday was the first time the boys brought their bows out and shot since dad passed. It was a little emotional, but definitely fun. It was then that my buddy said he was entering an annual 3D shoot that he and dad used to shoot every year, and that he would be shooting 2 arrows at every target. After thinking about it briefly, I asked if it would be ok with him if I came along and shot that second arrow for him.. 

Today I got dad's Halon out and took it to the archery shop for a tuneup and 1/2 dozen new arrows. It was set up perfectly for me right out of the box and the sight was dead on. I'm going to spend some time this weekend practicing, then go shoot the 3D shoot next weekend in honor of my dad. I think dad will be smiling. And laughing, every time I miss a target and shatter a $10 arrow on the rocks.. 

Replies

• sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 4,552 Senior Member
    Sounds like a great idea. I got a lot of my dads rifles when he passed. I still feel him watching over me as I fire them. Range time is always special that way.
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
    edited February 2021 #3
    Now THAT is a great way to honor your dads memory!!! 
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 12,143 Senior Member
    That will be Great.  Making new memories to fall right in with the old ones.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,666 Senior Member
    My brother and I like to go to 3D shoots. We both shoots traditional recurves. We shoot as we would hunting, so we don't aim for the scoring rings. We shoot for the heart.

Hopefully get to go more this year. I had to work most of the scheduled shoots last year.

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,227 Senior Member
    You're a good man, Jay.  I'm sure your dad would appreciate what you are doing.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,666 Senior Member

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 4,349 Senior Member
    My brother in law, buddy and I shot the bows as much as we could stand both Saturday and Sunday. My BIL has decided to join us at the 3D shoot this weekend. So it will be all three of us. That's awesome.

Once I got the bow on targets past 20 yards, I started seeing a little tweaking of the sight being necessary. Got it all dialed in and finished up yesterday able to shoot around 4 inch, 3 shot groups at 60 yards and held good groups at 20, 30, 40 and 50 yards as well. The shoot we're going to is also known for placing targets at 3-10 yards, so we practiced and got our yardage pins figured out for close shots. at 10 yards, I use a 25 yard setting on my sight. At 5 yards, it takes a 35 yard setting. 

We'll be heading out at just after 0600 Saturday morning to give it a try... 
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 4,349 Senior Member
    edited February 2021 #9
    The archery shoot on Saturday went pretty well. Due to the nasty weather than came in Saturday night, the shoot was reduced to only Saturday instead of all weekend, and 2 courses of 20 targets each instead of 3 courses of 15 targets. So we shot a total of 40 targets on Saturday. I shot fairly well, considering my lack of practice and skill. I ended up in 11th place out of 29 shooters in our division with a score of 347. I hit all but 2 targets out of 40. Because of the sights and equipment we use, it puts us in Open class, the toughest one. Some good shooters and high scores in our class.

The weather started off awesome in the morning and we shot the first course no problem. About half way through the second course, the weather started changing and it got cold and windy. While I did score 11 10s on the second course, I missed 2 targets as well, both at over 50 yards and late in the day. It wasn't a problem with wind drifting my arrows; it was all but impossible to hold the bow still with the wind blowing it around. My second miss was the last target, a coyote at 52 yards. I could hardly keep my sight on the target and skipped the arrow off the top of it's back. Overall, it was a lot of fun. Something I might decide to try again.
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
    I miss doing 3D shoots.  My buddy who introduced me to them passed away unexpectedly a few years back and somehow I never got the energy to go back to one.  I think this thread might make me dust off the old bow...  Thanks for sharing.