Home Main Category Clubhouse

Looks Like Monday the 15th Will be The Big Day....

Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior MemberPosts: 7,911 Senior Member
.....to get my right shoulder fixed. I had a visit with my doctor's assistant yesterday to discuss the particulars. The surgery will take about 2-2.5 hours, depending on what they find in there. It will be an arthroscopic procedure, not a joint replacement. I will have to wear a sling for about 6 weeks, and get physical therapy during that time. Once I am out of the sling, I can resume light physical activities, but the assistant told me it could take up to 6 months for a total recovery, and that includes no motorcycle riding. THAT pissed me off!! Having to go through all spring and half the summer without riding is going to be tough. The shoot and my annual trek to Johnson City afterwards will definitely be out of the question, and possibly my trip to Maggie Valley, NC too. I can only hope that because of my gym routine, that maybe I will be physically ready sooner than the average person that does not work out. If I can't make the shoot but can travel to Maggie Valley, maybe I can work in a trip to see Jerry and Mary while I'm up that way, if they have the time and inclination.

JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!

Replies

• Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 8,502 Senior Member
    Hope all goes well and you heal fast. Shootin' is probably out, too!! That'll suck!! 
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    Hope things go great and you get it in shape for the summer riding season up here!  :)
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 14,206 Senior Member
    Just Prayed o:) for a successful uncomplicated surgery
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,928 Senior Member
    You can maintain and tinker your machine into maximum readiness with your good arm well healing.
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
    Good luck!  I’m sure you’ll have a great and speedy recovery.
  • ojrojr Senior Member Posts: 1,274 Senior Member
    Hope it all goes well and heals up quickly.
    The flight was uneventful, which is what one wants when one is transporting an Elephant.
     Reuters, Dec 2020.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,986 Senior Member
    Keep us posted, and Blessings from your favorite deity!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,126 Senior Member
     o:)   hope all turns out good
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,911 Senior Member
    knitepoet said:
    Good luck Noel. If it's am immobilizer and not just a sling, once it gets warm enough there for you to start sweating, tucking a cotton wash cloth in your arm pit ( slid in with a spatula) will help keep it dry and prevent a fungal infection causing you to itch

I'm not sure what type of sling it is, but I have it here. They gave it to me at the doctor's office to bring to the surgical center to put on me afterwards. Maybe I can look at it and tell what type it is before I go.

Thanks everyone for the well wishes.

JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
  • Lt.Lt. New Member Posts: 66 Member
    Good luck on the impending surgery and best wishes for a speedy recovery! 
    knitepoet said:
    If it has a pad on one side and a second strap that goes around your back, it's an immobilizer

I'll have to look at that tomorrow. I also had to buy (wasn't forced, but decided it was in my best interest) a cold-pack machine for the area. It's an ice-cubes and insulated water box with a pump that circulates cold water on the surgical area. Supposed to be better than drugs as far as helping with the pain.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    This is from yesterday.........FOR THOSE 0F YOU THAT KNOW I HAD SURGERY TODAY FOR A TORN ROTATOR CUFF IN MY RIGHT SHOULDER, I HAD A SUCCESSFUL SURGERY AND GOT HOME AROUND 3PM TODAY THEY HAD TO PUT A PIECE OF TISSUE IN MY SHOULDER TO EXTEND THE PREVIOUSLY ATTACHED TENDON. I'M FEELING OK, BUT THE RECOVERY MIGHT BE A LONG ONE AND I'M NOT SURE ABOUT HOW MUCH TIME IT WILL BE BEFORE I CAN RIDE AGAIN. TYPING THIS SO IT MADE SENSE IS DIFFICULT, SO PLEASE EXCUSE ME IF I DON'T RESPOND TO INDIVIDUAL REMARKS. THANKS IN ADVANCE. Pain is reduced  from yesterday, but still hurts. Cold water circulator helps, but is not a cure-all for pain.

JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,986 Senior Member
    Goddess Bless! Glad it came out well. Here's praying for good healing.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 12,143 Senior Member
    Hope you heal up fast
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 5,032 Senior Member
    Noel, Jen and i are praying for a quick painless recovery.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 14,206 Senior Member
    Just Prayed o:) you are healed up and on your bike sooner than later.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,958 Senior Member
    The reason that it will take so long is that the shoulder will atrophy. The socket will basically lock up and have to be broken loose once its healed. Then you have to rebuild and regain range of motion. What the gym will do is help you regain the entire range of motion and strength. The reason that the therapists are cute girls is because if a guy put you in that much pain you would smack him.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
    The reason that it will take so long is that the shoulder will atrophy. The socket will basically lock up and have to be broken loose once its healed. Then you have to rebuild and regain range of motion. What the gym will do is help you regain the entire range of motion and strength. The reason that the therapists are cute girls is because if a guy put you in that much pain you would smack him.
    What I had heard about that was that you needed to start PT very soon after to PREVENT such a thing from happening. I'll find out all the details next tuesday when I see surgeon again. THANKS FOR ALL THE WELL-WISHES.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
  • mosseybuckmosseybuck Member Posts: 557 Senior Member
    Wishing you the best quick recovery. I have been doing an exercise routine for couple of months hoping to avoid this same outcome. My right shoulder also! It is marginally better than when I began but sure is a slow healer.
    USMC '59-'65, NRA Lifer, Tennessee Squire
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,227 Senior Member
    I apologize for being late to the post-op well wishing party.  I wish you the best, and just sent a prayer.

Take care.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
    Thanks for the well-wishes. I'll be seeing the doctor on Tuesday, 23rd. I guess I'll  find out what they did and the long-term outlook will be. So far, the pain is much reduced what it was last week. I've stopped using pain meds and I still feel pretty good considering. I just need to get this damn sling off. It's really starting to annoy me.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    knitepoet said:
    Thanks for the well-wishes. I'll be seeing the doctor on Tuesday, 23rd. I guess I'll  find out what they did and the long-term outlook will be. So far, the pain is much reduced what it was last week. I've stopped using pain meds and I still feel pretty good considering. I just need to get this damn sling off. It's really starting to annoy me.
    I hate to break this to you, but if it was a rotator cuff repair, you'll have it a while longer
    I'm a much bigger fan of wants over reality....LOL. Yeah I know, I'm not that ignorant. 5 more weeks is  the minimum. My tear was large/severe. Not going to be a quick recovery.

JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT: