Home Main Category General Firearms

My own Range!!!

ZeeZee Senior MemberPosts: 27,466 Senior Member
edited February 2021 in General Firearms #1
I moved awhile back and got a bigger house with some acreage with a barn. My goal was a place in the country that I could have some peace, animals, and My Own Range!!!
The President of my Gun Club who is a friend of mine, hooked me up with some Railroad Ties and Telephone Poles. So, today, my boy and I started our 25 yard Range which can be shot from inside my barn. 
I still have some additions to add:
- 3 stacks of dirt filled tires in the back of the “V”. 
- Rubber matting on the inside of the walls for shrapnel off steel. 
- Possibly a roof. 

But, after today’s work, I had to test run what we’d done on steel. 

2 Rounds of .22 lr
1 Round 9mm

Once I finish this one, I’ll start on the 100 yard backer. From which I’ll also be able to shoot 50 yards. 
My plan is not high volume shooting. I’m only 1 mile from my Gun Club. But, I want to be able to test loads and zero guns without having to pack up and head to the Gun Club. Plus, I want to start shooting at least a round or two with SOMETHING, every day. Train the brain!!

Deer in the front yard.....range in the back. I am happy and blessed. 
"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

Replies

• CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 14,205 Senior Member
    I give it 6 months, you will have it all shot down and blown to pieces :p
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 18,118 Senior Member
    edited February 2021 #3
    Having a home range is almost as important as having indoor plumbing...nice work!

Had a friend that had a short range outside his back door with a steel target...every day when he left for work he'd pop off a few rounds with whatever he was carrying that day...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    I guess what I am saying is it looks like a good start to a big project and you will assuredly use the crap out of it.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 4,551 Senior Member
    Nice, congrats. 
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 12,143 Senior Member
    That is awesome
    I bet it gets a much higher volume of use than you think
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,615 Senior Member
    That's awesome!   I'm happy for you.   I have rubber mats (old conveyor belt)
    hanging on my backers.  It stops most pistol and shotgun rounds.
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,928 Senior Member
    Makes me want to wish upon a star. Might want to keep a stock of those RR ties.
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
    More range reports!!!  Woohoo! 👍👍
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,126 Senior Member
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 12,046 Senior Member
    Very cool!  
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • Lt.Lt. New Member Posts: 66 Member
    Very nice! If I lived that close to a range, I definitely wouldn't have what I do in the way of ammo though! 
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,466 Senior Member
    edited February 2021 #13

Picked up some old tires for free from a place down the road. 
    Gotta give my buddy the dimensions I need for the conveyor belt rubber I’m gonna put on the inside walls. He’s supposed to hook me up. Then, dirt in the tires and GTG!

• JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 2,541 Senior Member
    Sweet! Having 100 a minute from the loading bench should really be nice.

• LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,749 Senior Member
    Very nice!

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • TSchubTSchub Senior Member Posts: 783 Senior Member
    Looks good!!  Looking forward to seeing some more development along the way.
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,958 Senior Member
    The only problem I have with my home range is that I am at home. I have stuff to do at home. If I go TO the range I have shooting to do. Still, for load development and the "hey, what if.." days its great. My steel on the short range is also available from the back porch, so sometimes the 22 gets put to use....
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 12,046 Senior Member
    The only problem I have with my home range is that I am at home. I have stuff to do at home. 
    Sounds like my wife. There is always something more to do at home. Can only relax when NOT at home. 
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 4,739 Senior Member
    Okay, my green envy monster just has one thing to say,
    "WhooHoo!"
    👍
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,986 Senior Member
    So cool; will have to scrub twice to remove my skin's new greenish tone. Congratulations!
  • gunner81gunner81 Member Posts: 623 Senior Member
    one of my dreams some day go from the house to the range in 30 seconds
    edited February 2021 #22
    When I had my own home range there was always a long to-do list waiting for me.  But I explained to my wife that when something needed shooting it cut in line to the top of the list automatically.  She was ok with that!  That’s why I keep renewing her contract 🤣

The one thing I can say, it made load development pure joy and cut the time to a great load SIGNIFICANTLY!
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 8,496 Senior Member
    It took awhile, but now you have your own range...So happy for you!
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    May take me a bit in the 100 yard backstop. Gotta figure out how to get the ties over there. Too many sharp stumps sticking up for me to drive the truck. Too far to carry them. May have to borrow a tractor. 
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 7,372 Senior Member
    I don’t know if I would ever leave my house willingly if I had my own range.....awesome! 
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
    Zee said:
    May take me a bit in the 100 yard backstop. Gotta figure out how to get the ties over there. Too many sharp stumps sticking up for me to drive the truck. Too far to carry them. May have to borrow a tractor. 
    I guess you are not aware that you can rent stump grinders?
    Zee said:
    Or a bulldozer...
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 7,372 Senior Member
    CHIRO1989 said:
    Zee said:
    Or a bulldozer...
    This! 
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
    GunNut said:
    Zee said:
    I guess you are not aware that you can rent stump grinders?
    Not stumps. I shredded all the brush covering my property. So, the ground is covered with sharp objects sticking up. Don’t want to risk a tire sidewall. 
    Elk creek said:
    CHIRO1989 said:
    Zee said:
    Or a bulldozer...
    This! 
    An expensive undertaking. 
  • AlleyCatAlleyCat Posts: 484 Member
    Zee said:

:)