Home Main Category General Firearms

My own Range!!!

2»

Replies

• bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 2,035 Senior Member
    Good hustle!
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    GunNut said:
    Zee said:
    May take me a bit in the 100 yard backstop. Gotta figure out how to get the ties over there. Too many sharp stumps sticking up for me to drive the truck. Too far to carry them. May have to borrow a tractor. 
    I guess you are not aware that you can rent stump grinders?
    Not stumps. I shredded all the brush covering my property. So, the ground is covered with sharp objects sticking up. Don’t want to risk a tire sidewall. 
    So you created a multi acre spike strip...  :disappointed:

Might need to borrow one of your tougher vehicles from work.
    Zee said:
    Elk creek said:
    CHIRO1989 said:
    Zee said:
    May take me a bit in the 100 yard backstop. Gotta figure out how to get the ties over there. Too many sharp stumps sticking up for me to drive the truck. Too far to carry them. May have to borrow a tractor. 
    Or a bulldozer...
    This! 
    An expensive undertaking. 
    I'm about to do just that and been checking on it.  It's not nearly as expensive as I would have thought.  There's even a place right in your town (I just checked) and for what you are doing a small Bobcat with a front loader should do the trick in a day or two.  Those things move a LOT of dirt and they are powerful!
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 12,041 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    Rental car and a heavy right foot.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,871 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    Rental car and a heavy right foot.
    Similar vein to this....

I'm just here for snark.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,456 Senior Member
    Buddy has a tractor and a plow/disk. He’s going to check out the place and see if he can use it in my land. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,573 Senior Member
    Good news!  An excuse to buy an ATV.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
    Zee said:
    Buddy has a tractor and a plow/disk. He’s going to check out the place and see if he can use it in my land. 
    The only issue is that it could tear up the tractor tires and those are not cheap.  That's why something in front of the machine is better than something dragged behind.  But hey it's worth checking out and if his tractor has a front load bucket, that would work too.
    GunNut said:
    Zee said:
    The only issue is that it could tear up the tractor tires and those are not cheap.  That's why something in front of the machine is better than something dragged behind.  But hey it's worth checking out and if his tractor has a front load bucket, that would work too.
    The tires are foam filled. 
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 18,113 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    GunNut said:
    Zee said:
    I guess you are not aware that you can rent stump grinders?
    Not stumps. I shredded all the brush covering my property. So, the ground is covered with sharp objects sticking up. Don’t want to risk a tire sidewall. 
    In my world, those are called "stobs"...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 18,113 Senior Member
    Slight diversion from the topic...When I lived in KS, I was surprised to learn about the number of tractor tires that are flattened by running over shed deer antlers...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,663 Senior Member

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 9,324 Senior Member
    Maybe a slow forward march with a rototiller, though it sounds like you have a fair amount of dirt to cover. . .

Considering that you do seem to have access to a fair amount of steel, you might think about setting up an angled deflector plate with a sand box underneath it behind your target frame.  In my world, this would be to recover and re-cast lead.  In yours, it will serve to greatly prolong the life of your railroad ties, and I'm sure you know at least ONE local caster who'd love to periodically screen the lead out your sand.

Once upon a time, I ran across someone's post (maybe here) where they set up a rolling V-rack of maybe 6-10 old tires directly in front of their bench.  Inserting their muzzle into those tires gave them a gigantic multi-baffle suppressor.  Depending on your situation, it might help to preserve certain forms of tranquility - domestic or otherwise.

Cool arrangement, any way you prep it!
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,364 Senior Member
    knitepoet said:
    I believe it was Orchidman that made the tire sized "muffler"

Yep........will see if I can find some pics.........
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,364 Senior Member
    Here you go......

1" steel pipe
    12 used quad bike tyres
    4 posts to hold it up ( 2 half way along and 2 at the far end)
    Electric 12 volt radiator fan on a hinged frame at the far end to clear heat and smoke. ....string operated with a sash weight to swing it closed when you need to use it. ( release the string from the bench and it closes, pull the string to open it) sourced from Bloodhounds Landrover lol,
    Chicken wire.
    Non flammable stuffing.....( Stuff the tyres with the non flammable stuffing and use chicken wire to hold it in place, It will absorb more sound if you fill the tyres)
    12 volt burglar alarm battery to power the fan ( we park the quad next to the bench and use the quad battery)

Works well and cuts the noise down to where the 7mm08 sounds like an unsuppressed 22 at 100 yds and further.

The only thing to watch out for is make sure you take into account the height of the scope from the barrel when shooting..............(dont ask me how I know this..... ;):D
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
    I’ll be shooting from inside my barn (25yrds) or from inside my garage (50/100yrds). Which should keep my distant neighbors somewhat less perturbed. Yes 
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 4,739 Senior Member
    Just ask your neighbor for help carrying the ties.
    :D
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 2,538 Senior Member
    Those stumps should be good and frozen now. Go knock them down to grade with a sledge hammer.