Home Main Category General Firearms

9mm AR upper decision...

2»

Replies

• ilove22silove22s Senior Member Posts: 1,507 Senior Member
    fwiw,

i got an AR9 with the 10 inch upper.  I kept with the carbine A2 style upper and the barrel is cut just forward of the Fixed front sight.  There is enough barrel to have it threaded for a birdcage flashhider/can QD mount.

i wanted iron sights for use since some of the optics use power and as you know, power is only temporary or at least until you change out the batteries or light sticks.  So on my guns i may have optics but i also have IS for backup.

the BBL length will depend on your endgame.  

heres a hint.  you can cut more material off, but you cant add to it.

have fun.

The ears never lie.

- Don Burt
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
    I think I'm pretty set on 7" now.  My 5.56 SBR was a 10.5" and since I want to the 7.5" I have not looked back.  I love these little compact guns.

BTW I just ordered a bunch of Glock 32 round mags for it and if anyone is looking to get some before the ban hammer some sites like Midway USA are already putting limits on how many you can order.  I did not get greedy, not looking to hoard.  When my orders come in I will have 2 17 round mags and 6 32 round mags for it (all factory Glock) and I'm good to go with this gun.

Unfortunately PSA is out of the 7" uppers now so finishing it will have to wait a bit, but the lower is already at my LGS so that's the only part I really worried about.  The rest will come as it will.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,456 Senior Member
    PSA 9mm 7" Upper
    I’ve ordered more Magpul 21 & 27 round magazines for my Glocks and Ruger PC Carbine/Pistol. 

The 32 rnd is too damn expensive and too damn long. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    Zee said:
    I’ve ordered more Magpul 21 & 27 round magazines for my Glocks and Ruger PC Carbine/Pistol. 

The 32 rnd is too damn expensive and too damn long. 
    And THAT would have been useful info about 2 hours ago  :smile:

Oh well...  I'm sure the prices won't be coming down on them.
    PSA 9mm 7" Upper
    I do have a couple of the 32 rnd Glock mags just because. But, mostly use the Magpul. 

• JayJay Senior Member Posts: 4,349 Senior Member
    I've ordered a few of the 21 round mags, some regular 17 round mags and a couple of the Arredondo 22 round conversions with extended base pads for Magpul mags to try out. That combined with what I already have should keep me in business for a little while.
    I already have 2 of the 32 round Glock mags.  I was trying to keep things somewhat standardized.
  • RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 2,687 Senior Member
    PSA 9mm 7" Upper
    Zee said:
    I do have a couple of the 32 rnd Glock mags just because. But, mostly use the Magpul. 

Which 1 of these 2 guns do you prefer or is your favorite?
    edited February 2021 #40
    PSA 9mm 7" Upper
    RugerFan said:
    Zee said:

Which 1 of these 2 guns do you prefer or is your favorite?
    That’s like asking do you like the blond or brunette better in bed. 😁

Yes. 😎
  • RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 2,687 Senior Member
    PSA 9mm 7" Upper
    Sorry😋
  • JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 2,538 Senior Member
    PSA 9mm 7" Upper
    Zee said:

Got a link to the mag coupler?

PSA 9mm 7" Upper
    JKP said:
    Zee said:

Got a link to the mag coupler?

It’s from Lone Wolf but I can’t find it on their site. Surfing their site sucks. 

• JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 2,538 Senior Member
    PSA 9mm 7" Upper
    Thanks!
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 4,739 Senior Member
    PSA 9mm 7" Upper
    Late to the party but I voted 7" although I realize you've already decided.
    The added barrel length along with 135 grain Critical Duty ammo seems like a winner -- or just load your own Gold Dots in 124.
    When it comes to expansion, bullet design really helps. If the lead is alloyed too hard or the jacket too thick or even too much hoop tension (lack of skiving or pre-tearing at the jacket mouth) then you open yourself up to problems just like having too little velocity. You end up shooting expensive ball ammo. With a 7" barrel you're gonna ensure good velocity with all the weight classes but I like the 135 grain class as a midway between 147 and 124. The Critical Duty are loaded up to +P velocities so it should work well out of your AR. Only downside is they're harder to find right now. My own carry guns are either loaded with Critical Duty or Winchester Defender in 147 grain. Alternatively, you can always load your own Gold Dots and call it good. Go for 7".
    👍

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

JKP said:
    Thanks!
    @JKP, it looks like Lone Wolf stopped making those clamps.  I tried adding them to my cart and it won't work.  I did find a supplier on eBay that has them: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Glock-Magazine-Clamps-Glock-Magazine-Coupler-ALUMINUM/164593263008

Just ordered this for the project.  Will report as the build progresses.