Home Main Category Clubhouse

Cold snap!

Replies

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,928 Senior Member
    What I saw on the news is crazy. I wouldn't pay. Try and collect....

Then I'd redneck off grid. Even it took a month and travel to get set up.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,126 Senior Member
    Gov needs to call up his national guard and haul water to his citizens in their water buffalos.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 14,206 Senior Member
    If you guys need stuff, plumbing parts, portable water filtration, cheetos, hair gel, whatever, just holler, I am sure Fed-Ex is still working.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • kansashunterkansashunter Senior Member Posts: 1,902 Senior Member
    I am sure you Texans will be fine. I saw on the news AOC is there passing out water and fixing everything. I have been hearing that my gas bill may be $4000 for this month and the electric company uses gas to generate so who knows what it may be. I may have to join the homeless.
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,364 Senior Member
    Meanwhile, in other parts of the world.........
    New foal born a couple of days ago..........

Hung it in the shade and wrapped it in tube muslim to keep the flies off it..... T shirts and shorts hunting weather.

Seriously, I feel sorry for you guys caught up in the cold snap........Stay warm and safe.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 18,118 Senior Member
    Well, at least you're able to get out and do something...all we do is watch the Damn thermometer...got up to a balmy 34 today here in the Great White North...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,466 Senior Member
    Found one axis doe today after the snow melt. Yotes had gotten to her.  Ate most of her and the fawn inside her. 
    I haven’t seen any live axis since the snow and that’s a bad thing. 

"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

• Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member Posts: 2,412 Senior Member
    I have a new neighbor on the south side of my ranch.  He bought the 168 high fence ranch that had been up for sale.  It's nice to finally have good friendly neighbors over the previous owners.  Three days before the arctic front came in, he had 14 axis (seven bucks/does) and three Aoudad yews brought in.  This weekend they were walking the ranch looking for carcasses.  He found one Aoudad yew and the seven Axis bucks.  However, on camera at the feeders he's only seeing three Axis does.  He's seen the two Fallow bucks and two does, and three Aoadad rams that were there when he purchased the ranch. 

As he told me this has been an expensive endeavor.  He said it's not like he plan to turn them out just before the front.  The release date had been planned six weeks prior. 

It's a shame how many animals didn't make it through this arctic front.
    Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,227 Senior Member
    The thaw has started.  Actually, it started last week, but we're still under a boil water notice.   Until yesterday, we were not even supposed to use city water for bathing without boiling it first.  Now, we can take 5 minutes showers, but are cautioned NOT to drink the water.

All of which means I took my first real shower in over a week.  I thought I had died and gone to heaven.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
    Checked game cameras after the thaw. 
    Still seeing some axis on camera that made it. 

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 12,143 Senior Member
    Glad you didn't lose all of them
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member Posts: 2,412 Senior Member
    Good to see them on camera!

Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21
  • JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 2,541 Senior Member
    CHIRO1989 said:
    If you guys need stuff, plumbing parts, portable water filtration, cheetos, hair gel, whatever, just holler, I am sure Fed-Ex is still working.
    FedEx doesn't work well in good weather, their service lately has been pure garbage. I'd suggest UPS for the cheetos and hair gel shipment.
    Had to keep the water troughs clear. 

JKP said:
    CHIRO1989 said:
    FedEx doesn't work well in good weather, their service lately has been pure garbage. I'd suggest UPS for the cheetos and hair gel shipment.
    Duly noted :)
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    Our snow piles ...this was what was moved off the driveway in the last month.

• bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 12,046 Senior Member
    Well, in typical schizophrenic Texas weather fashion... I am wearing shorts and sandals today.  It’s 72 degrees outside, and just plain gorgeous.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,666 Senior Member
    We have 4''-5'' of snow with an inch of ice on top of it. Got the ice last Sunday, and the ground has been covered for more than two weeks. There is one small spot in the field across the road where a tuft of grass still showed above the snow. The deer have the whole area trampled flat.

I bought a cheap plastic bird feeder to put in the back yard. Not much traffic the first couple days, but yesterday was sunny and it was busy busy. Saw all of the normal residents. FInch, titmouse, cardinal, chickadee, and nuthatch. Also saw three different kinds of woodpecker. Redheaded, Downy, and Northern Flicker.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
    Well, in typical schizophrenic Texas weather fashion... I am wearing shorts and sandals today.  It’s 72 degrees outside, and just plain gorgeous.
    78 today. 
    🤬
  • kansashunterkansashunter Senior Member Posts: 1,902 Senior Member
    It was cold enough here a lot of the ponds and such froze over. I am guessing that is why I had a couple of ducks on the small branch by my house. It is only 3 feet at the wide spots and a few inches deep. I have not seen any ducks here for a long time. 
    Zee said:
    78 today. 
    🤬
    Thawing out I see...
    Jayhawker said:
    Zee said:
    78 today. 
    🤬
    Thawing out I see...
    Melting. Literally. 
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,958 Senior Member
    So, is TX going to be able to remember this happens every 50 years for next time?
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,958 Senior Member
    Jayhawker said:
    Got up to 24 today...roads are clear and dry, so I got out and got both vehicles topped off ...(for $2.65 a gallon....profiteering bastards)
    Weatherman says we're heading for the 40s by the middle of next week...

@2.65 a gal, they are not profiteering. First, you always pay for the NEXT load, and that load aint coming from within TX this time so you are going to pay to haul it. Second, since JB took office, the price of gas has gone up .60. If it hasnt in TX, good for you, but the next load is going to come from somewhere else.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
    So, is TX going to be able to remember this happens every 50 years for next time?
    The Texans will.  All the Californians and New Yorkers moving here will be surprised.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov

no idea if this is true or not, only seen it reported in two places.  BUT, if it is, this moves the blame from ERCOT to the dept of energy:
    https://yournews.com/2021/02/19/2033550/joe-bidens-dept-of-energy-blocked-texas-from-increasing-power/

It seems ERCOT tried to get the OK to increase production from the DoE in preparation for the two storms.  The DoE said “No.  You must be GREEN!”  And thats why we had to buy it at huge cost and without enough supply
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    Jayhawker said:
    Got up to 24 today...roads are clear and dry, so I got out and got both vehicles topped off ...(for $2.65 a gallon....profiteering bastards)
    Weatherman says we're heading for the 40s by the middle of next week...

@2.65 a gal, they are not profiteering. First, you always pay for the NEXT load, and that load aint coming from within TX this time so you are going to pay to haul it. Second, since JB took office, the price of gas has gone up .60. If it hasnt in TX, good for you, but the next load is going to come from somewhere else.
    I live in Michigan.....
    edited February 2021 #120

no idea if this is true or not, only seen it reported in two places.  BUT, if it is, this moves the blame from ERCOT to the dept of energy:
    https://yournews.com/2021/02/19/2033550/joe-bidens-dept-of-energy-blocked-texas-from-increasing-power/

It seems ERCOT tried to get the OK to increase production from the DoE in preparation for the two storms.  The DoE said “No.  You must be GREEN!”  And thats why we had to buy it at huge cost and without enough supply
    Wow, people died, if this is true then DoE is on the hook. I would hope Senators and Governors would take this opportunity to throw the DoE and the Biden administration under the bus.
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
    View from my window this morning