Home Main Category General Firearms

Sig MPX: Worth the Price Tag?

shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior MemberPosts: 5,970 Senior Member
The title says it all. I've idly considered a high end 9mm carbine for awhile, but have never prioritized it. However, with recent talk from the Biden administration about renewed interest in gun bans, it has come to the forefront of my consideration again.

WIth this in mind, I am considering purchasing a Sig MPX 16" rifle. I would prefer the competition model, but none are available locally. HOWEVER, the basic "Gen 2" 16" model with KEYMOD rail, flash suppressor, and a godawful trigger is available at a local shop for every bit of MSRP.

https://sigsauerguns.com/sig-sauer-mpx-carbine-9mm-16-in-keymod-telescoping-stock-mpx-c-9-km-t.html

The price is hard to swallow, but there's always layaway. What are y'all's thoughts?

Sig MPX: Worth the Price Tag? 10 votes

Buy the Gun
70%
knitepoetAntonioDiver43BigslugGene LRimfireGunNut 7 votes
Buy Ammo
0%
Hold out for the Competition Model
20%
bellcatUncle Fester 2 votes
Risk it, and see if prices go down
10%
JKP 1 vote
- I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
"Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski

Replies

• shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,970 Senior Member
    knitepoet said:
    I didn't vote, because I was torn between multiple options.
    Half of me says "buy it" and the other half says hold out for the one you actually want
    Very fair. With that said, the main differences in the MPX Competition and the regular carbine are the trigger, and MLOK v KEYMOD.

The real question is how much I'm chancing a significant ban/restriction actually going through.
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,456 Senior Member
    What’s the difference in the models?
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    Zee said:
    What’s the difference in the models?
    Gen 2 16"
    - KEYMOD handguard
    - Flash suppressor
    - "Mil spec" trigger (think of it as a standard M4 trigger, 5-7# and a good bit of creep)

"Competition" Model
    - Slimline, MLOK handguard
    - Muzzle Brake
    - Timney trigger (available aftermarket for $200)Sig Sauer MPX 9MM PCC - 16
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 12,135 Senior Member
    Buy the Gun
    I said, buy the gun.
    The Democrats own the house and senate at the moment.  They don't seem to remember how easily the tables can turn.  Biden has been signing Executive Orders for everything and those in office are blood thirsty for anything not Democrat.  Things will get hung up in courts but I am afraid it's going to be a super difficult 4 years 
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    If you can replace the trigger and the flash suppressor on the Mil Spec.........buy it. 
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,573 Senior Member
    Buy the Gun
    Buy the gun...in five years, you'll never miss the money.  As for waiting for the competition model, could be a long time before it becomes available.  A gun in your hand is worth more than a gun in your dreams.  And remember, if you can't be with the gun you love, love the one you're with. And when your dream gun becomes available, you can trade in yours for one.  Ammo on the poll i blew off because it's so damned expensive, especially if you don't have a gun to shoot it.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,986 Senior Member
    Buy the Gun
    Local cops got a handful of the SMG version ones when the deal for their new Sig 2022 pistols was signed; they were issued to a few SF units that were using excellent but aging MP-5s & SDs and after about 5 years in service they have good comments from their operators. 

I'd say buy it NOW!!
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
    Buy the Gun
    buy the buy the gun and order a case of magazines while you’re at it.
  • BamaakIIBamaakII Posts: 421 Member
    edited February 2021 #10
    A lot of competitors love them, some have said they have had reliability issues.  I held one and it balances nice and gets on target quickly.  There are several more conventional AR blowback 9mms that are probably as good or better.Lead Star, JP are a couple.  Lead Star is very light.  JPs are tanks. My favorite that I think will be my next PCC is from a company called DaVinci machining.  Small company out of FL.  They make helicopter parts but the owner is a shooter and competitor and decided he could make a better gun.  He goes a few steps beyond in his machine work and tolerances.  He laps the upper and lower to get a better fit.  He will build to suite and his prices are competitive.  I have not seen the sig win many major matches, the others are more numerous.  Last year Lena miculek finished 5th in ladies at the world's with a sig.  I have seen anything bad said about the DaVinci, all the others I have.  Perhaps cause there are more of them out there.
    edited February 2021 #11
    Plus glock mags are better and have more upgrades available.

Not sure the price you are seeing but 6 months ago LGS had them at about 1800.00.  If you want to compete,, blowback have a lot more upgrades that mostly cost less.

Go to Brian Enos forums, there is a whole folder on PCCs.
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 4,349 Senior Member
    Just FYI, unless Sig has done something to fix the problem, the MPX eats triggers. Including Timney triggers. The blowback system is hard on them. I have a buddy who has put many thousands of rounds through his and has gone through multiple triggers. His is suppressed. Not sure if that makes a difference. But there is info out there on the MPX trigger problems.

That being said, if you want one, I'd say get it. They are fun. Especially suppressed.
    There is tons of talk on the WWW about pics and triggers.  Most of it is garbage.  A popular one is hiperfire triggers breaking or breaking firing pins.  Something about the geometry of the hammer face.. I got two extra firing pins for mine probably 5 years ago.  Still in the range bag after probably 30,000 competition rounds.  Not saying your friend is wrong on others are either, but not my experience after probably 100 matches with a pcc, never saw one break a trigger or firing pin.  Some mfrs have come out with PCC specific triggers though.  I know AR Gold and Hiperfire have.  Others too I'm sure
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 4,349 Senior Member
    edited February 2021 #14
    Specifically, he's on his third MPX specific Timney.  Again, maybe the suppressor is causing more wear to it. I don't know.  But I know for a fact his gun has gone through some triggers and I've seen it malfunction on the range. It's sitting in his safe right now with a bad trigger in it after a work related course he took it to and put a lot of rounds through it. 

Timney does have a lifetime warranty on those triggers and have replaced his trigger twice so far, with the third one being gone now. 
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 4,546 Senior Member
    Go classic, the most under rated 9mm carbine out there.

Has always run flawlessly but you are limited to 15 round mags I believe.
    edited February 2021 #16
    If it's just for fun, I think I may buy something cheaper and mod it as desired.  The CZ scorpion is a fine gun as well.  A ruger PC9, a world of aftermarket parts available. My ATI AR9 was 700.00, added a hiperfire and a feed ramp and an optic and it runs great.  I shoot loads so light, they won't cycle a pistol.  CMMG makes an interesting delayed blowback, the bolt locks up like an AR.  Lots of good ones out there.
  • AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,986 Senior Member
    Buy the Gun
    Bunch of friends of mine have bought the Ruger PC and are quite happy with them; all are using Glock magazines, have installed red dot sights and have used all sorts of ammo, including iffy reloads and local production FMJ & HP rounds and so far other than being less accurate with certain ammo brands/types, they have performed flawlessly.
  • JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 2,538 Senior Member
    Having lived through the Clinton ban, this too shall pass. Wait it out, you're a young guy with plenty of other toys to keep you busy.
    edited February 2021 #19
    Buy the Gun
    JKP said:
    Having lived through the Clinton ban, this too shall pass. Wait it out, you're a young guy with plenty of other toys to keep you busy.
    Biden has the border wide open and he’s looking to legalize 11,000,000 Democrat voters that have conveniently relocated all over the USA during a systematic invasion.  I personally do not believe “this too shall pass”.
  • JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 2,538 Senior Member
    I really think I don't engage in political debates online...
    edited February 2021 #21
    Buy the Gun
    No need to debate.  Actually I withdraw my question and I’ll just call it a personal observation so I’ve edited my post accordingly.  I personally do NOT believe this too shall pass.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 12,135 Senior Member
    Buy the Gun
    GunNut said:
    JKP said:
    Biden has the border wide open and he’s looking to legalize 11,000,000 Democrat voters that have conveniently relocated all over the USA during a systematic invasion.  I personally do not believe “this too shall pass”.
    The Clinton ban had a sunset date.  Biden will not allow that this time.  It will go through Congress then tie in the Senate unless Mitt Romney or one of the other rinos vote for it then Kamela will not have to be the tie breaker
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 9,324 Senior Member
    Buy the Gun
    MPX. . .does that stand for "Must Pay eXtra"?  :D

Don't see any sense in the competition whizzbang extras - even if it was rifle caliber; especially not in pistol caliber.  A touch of fine grad lapping compound on the trigger/hammer engagement surface followed by about 20-30 dry-fire/hold-trigger/reset drills, cleans up the GI trigger nicely, and it's a solid, really reliable, easily serviced system.  I like that fire control mechanism - A LOT.

Keymod on it though?  If they offer the standard gun with M-Lok, that'd be my bet.

Although, since you do run Glocks, a platform that runs on those mags might be more to the point.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
    Bigslug said:

Although, since you do run Glocks, a platform that runs on those mags might be more to the point.
    This. 

Is why I run These. 

• Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior Member Posts: 1,566 Senior Member
    If there is ever a new AW ban, guns like it are going to be impossible to get.  

If you want one and can afford it, buy it.
    Buy the Gun
    If there is ever a new AW ban, guns like it are going to be impossible to get.  

If you want one and can afford it, buy it.
    Yes, and as an investment they will appreciate more than most others.
    Check stagezero.com. they have some decent prices on pccs
    Thanks for the input folks. I've decided that for a toy I'm just not willing to drop nearly $2K. 

I am, however, going to grab an outrageous Ruger PC Carbine available locally. Another thread will come for that. 
    sakodude said:

I what is that?  Gorgeous 
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 4,546 Senior Member
    sakodude said:

I what is that?  Gorgeous 
    Old Marlin Camp 9. Uses S&W model 59 series magazines. I love it, more style than the plastic fantastic’s!!
    edited March 2021 #31
    Zee said:
    Bigslug said:

This. 

Is why I run These. 

Ruger sure is liberal with the oil when they ship them. I still need to :
    - buy a couple of stick mags
    - buy some iron sights.  Do you know of anyone who makes front sights with the light gathering tubes?
    - convert it to a folding stock setup.