Home Main Category Clubhouse

Richard Venola has passed, may he RIP

GunNutGunNut Posts: 6,708 Senior Member
Holy crap Richard Venola is gone.  I enjoyed his adventures on Facebook for many years and while he had a somewhat "complex" past they guy was a true adventurer and a pretty decent writer.  Does anyone know what happened?  He was only a month older than me and I don't recall him being ill...

RIP, I will miss your stories...

Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

Replies

• PFDPFD Senior Member Posts: 1,451 Senior Member
    I lost track of him after his little "dust up" in 2012.
    I did like his writing.
    RIP.
    That's all I got.

Paul
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 6,708 Senior Member
    PFD said:
    I lost track of him after his little "dust up" in 2012.
    I did like his writing.
    RIP.
    Most folks did.  I think he lost his gig at G&A because of that incident.  Two hung juries later in favor of SD kept him free.  

We were “Friends” on FB and I believe others here were too.  I always had the impression he was a man battling with some demons in him.  But if nothing else he did live his life on his own terms and was about as free as spirit as we can get to be today.  I will miss his stories  and adventures on FB.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• PFDPFD Senior Member Posts: 1,451 Senior Member
    edited February 20 #4
    Didn't he and (I'm too lazy to look him up) do that G&A show where they did gun torture tests and other fun gun stuff?
    He was good in that.

Dick Metcalf, from memory!
    That's all I got.

Paul
    PFD said:
    Didn't he and (I'm too lazy to look him up) do that G&A show where they did gun torture tests and other fun gun stuff?
    He was good in that.

Dick Metcalf, from memory!
    Yep that was his segment.  Some of it was stupid but he made it funny.

• SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 4,204 Senior Member
    I only know what G&A put out earlier. Still don't know exactly what happened. Health issues maybe?

RIP Devil Dog 😇

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,774 Senior Member
    I enjoyed his writing. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,559 Senior Member
    RIP Marine
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,843 Senior Member
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,097 Senior Member
    DIJ Marine!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."

GunNut, look up at post #6
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

OOOOPS Missed that one.. 

GunNut said:
    OOOOPS Missed that one.. 

You know they say your memory is the second thing to go as you age.... I forget the first one :D:D:D 

edited February 26 #15
    Yeah, I know…

Has anyone heard any info on how he died?  For a guy that was pretty much top of the food chain in this industry and then made headlines all over the place when he was accused of murder in 2012 he seems to have slipped away without much of a ripple…. Sad really…

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,313 Senior Member
    When I first heard, I attempted to find more info, but all I could find was the G&A article and all the stories about him being arrested then acquitted 
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    Diver43 said:
    When I first heard, I attempted to find more info, but all I could find was the G&A article and all the stories about him being arrested then acquitted 
    Yeah it’s like total radio silence out there.

• KMT2KMT2 Member Posts: 367 Member
    It is a bummer he is gone. I did not have the pleasure to read any of his articles. BUt I would have loved to been fireside with him.

On the point of no info on his passing one can only speculate on the cause. I pray that the demons did not win. 
    Marine, Capt. 
    May the road rise to meet you, May the wind be always at your back, May the  sun shine warm upon your face, May the rain fall softly on you fields. Until we meet again  May God hold you in the palm of his hand.

If you think OHSA is a little town in Wisconsin you may be in trouble!
    Peace is firing my guns or 60 feet below the surface of the water.
    KMT2 said:
    It is a bummer he is gone. I did not have the pleasure to read any of his articles. BUt I would have loved to been fireside with him.

On the point of no info on his passing one can only speculate on the cause. I pray that the demons did not win. 
    Marine, Capt. 
    May the road rise to meet you, May the wind be always at your back, May the  sun shine warm upon your face, May the rain fall softly on you fields. Until we meet again  May God hold you in the palm of his hand.

Amen…

• Vic's ViewpointVic's Viewpoint Senior Member Posts: 1,207 Senior Member
    What GunNut said.  I was friends with him on FB and greatly enjoyed reading his posts.  That rattletrap truck he drove was a little scary, but it got him where he was going most of the time, so I guess he always got the last laugh.  I do recall that one leg was giving him a world of trouble, and he did tell me that there was nothing to be done for it, but he kept on keeping on for as long as he could.  He was indeed a free spirit with a gift for writing and adventure, and he will surely be missed by many.
    Member formerly known as "vlafrank."