Home Main Category Hunting

Anyone using wireless trail cameras?

CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior MemberPosts: 12,951 Senior Member
I want to put a couple on my moms property for security, any real world experiences, especially in the cold? 
I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11

Replies

• bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,307 Senior Member
    I got one for Christmas, and have had it on the side of the house testing it before I take it to the ranch to start mapping pig movements.  So far.... It’s been working great.  It’s been through some minor cold here with the two snowfalls we had since Jan 1, but nothing like the cold you get.

Still on the first set of batteries.  It has alerted me to some stuff in near real-time, and I like it.  it’s a Moultrie XV-6000.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov

Just some of the pics I had on my phone from it
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,951 Senior Member
    Can you set the camera to send photos to your phone as soon as they are taken or do you need to access the camera from your phone to get the pictures?
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    It alerts me one push notification if I have new pictures, then I can view on the app on my phone/ tablet, or on a web portal.

It also has smart alerts where it will tell me if it’s a “Car” “buck” “doe”, or “person” in the photo.  Thats pretty cool that it says “new picture” you know its probably a squirrel, wind moving a tree, etc...  but if it says “person”, you know to take a look ASAP.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,951 Senior Member
    OK, thanks, I will have to see what the software does on the cameras I am looking at, they have some re-furbs on Camofire that are reasonably priced