Home Main Category General Firearms

Firearms trivia thread.

Replies

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,648 Senior Member
    edited April 15 #482
    I'll post the link to that article, for anyone that's interested. It's a PDF copy of the Jan/Feb 1982 "American Handgunner" and the Gammon article starts on page 33 and then jumps to page 75.

https://americanhandgunner.com/1982issues/HJF82.pdf

Concerning looking them up. If I can't figure it out on my own, I might look it up if it interests me, HOWEVER, if I do break out the google-fu, I don't answer the question

Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

edited April 15 #483
    Okay, here's one I happened to stumble across a couple of weeks ago...

What cartridge is the most powerful round EVER chambered in a revolver?

Hint, the handgun weighs 13+ pounds
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 8,063 Senior Member
  • PFDPFD Senior Member Posts: 1,488 Senior Member
    Big Al probably nailed it.
    Was that the handgun known as the BFR?
    (Biggest, Finest Revolver,  officially. 😉
    That's all I got.

Paul
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,288 Senior Member
    Has to be one a them big elephant gun shells.

505 Gibbs?
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,070 Senior Member
    I peeked as well, although not deeply.  I saw a 1911 with an extended slide, reminded me of a FN 1922 two part slide.  As for a roller feed ramp...why?
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 4,289 Senior Member
    Has to be one a them big elephant gun shells.

505 Gibbs?

I remember a revolver in .60 or .62 but it was one of those elephant cartridges. I remember a picture of it, the grips look tiny compared to the rest of the gun. It was ridiculously huge.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

Yea, I remember that pic. Can't recall the cartridge. Could be one bigger than that.

We'll find out :)
    Nope, not 45-70, though they do make a "smaller" chambering in 458 win mag

edited April 15 #491
    Also, the BFR isn't a 13+ pound handgun

The revolver that handles it is a custom one, made to order at a cost approaching $20K So what's it chambered in?

• PFDPFD Senior Member Posts: 1,488 Senior Member
    20 mm Vulcan? 😋
    That's all I got.

Paul
    13 pounder!!??  B)

See the source image
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,070 Senior Member
    One bore?  Saw one (the ONLY one) on Forgotten Weapons.  Maybe a 2 bore.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
    edited April 15 #495
    no, no and no

It's a cartridge firing revolver that has ammo available... (In places)

Just found some ammo online, a 5 round box for $250 and they list, "We have several boxes"

I suspect enough to fill the cylinder +1 would be a lifetime supply for me, because I'd HAVE to fire it once. And I suspect ONCE would be enough.

It has to be one of those nitro express rounds. I've seen ads before for the .600 nitro express but I think there's also a .700 nitro express round with a dumb name. T-Rex maybe, I don't know.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

Thesuperboregargantuanoverkillmagnumartillerynucleardestroyer......
    Loudingkaboomerkruchinkickersloberknockereargasplittin
    Big Al1 said:
    Loudingkaboomerkruchinkickersloberknockereargasplittin

I'm pretty sure that's the one.
    :D

Spk, You're up.
    the Pfeifer Zeliska .600 Nitro Express revolver

https://www.guns.com/news/2012/02/17/the-pfeifer-zeliska-the-revolver-in-600-nitro-express

And for those of you not familiar with the 600 NE, throwing a bullet in excess of 2oz (900gr) around 2000fps from a rifle

My gunsmith mentor restored/restocked a .600 double rifle!! He usually test fired every rifle he built, but he made the exception with the .600!! You could stick you finger in the barrel! 
    Even at 13 LBS I wouldn't shoot that :#..
    Han Solo's BlasTech DL-44 laser blaster was patterned after this famous firearm and was recently sold for how much?

edited April 16 #504
    If by "patterned after" you mean "built on/from"  that was a c96 mauser.
    As to what it sold for, not a clue

The c96 is correct.
    Now take a stab at the price tag of the gun actually used by Harrison Ford on the set.
    It was kinda pricey.

edited April 16 #506
    Spk said:
    The c96 is correct.
    Now take a stab at the price tag of the gun actually used by Harrison Ford on the set.
    It was kinda pricey.
    Guess would be $15k

Edited to add: Just Googled it and I wasn't even close according to Reuters from 2018

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,379 Senior Member
    Taking a shot in the dark. $375 K. ?
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    Diver was closest at 375k. Actually, the prop gun sold for $550k to an apparently rich collector. 😮

Diver you're up.

Wow, off by 200K and closest.

Who invented the first AUTO LOADING PISTOL IN 1892?
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 6,724 Senior Member
    Diver43 said:

Borchard? 
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
    Elk creek said:
    Diver43 said:

Borchard? 
    Not quite,  Hugo Borchardt invented an auto loader with a removable magazine which became the standard in 1893.