Home Main Category Clubhouse

Jobs you got fired from

Jeff in TXJeff in TX Posts: 2,637 Senior Member
The long haired Freaky People meme and Rafterman's post about getting fired from McDonald's brought back a memory of the first and only time I got fired.  I was fifteen and my buddy got me got at KMart working in the grill.  I only lasted one day!  Before I go into the events that ran up to my dismissal there is a short prelude leading up to the events.

At my high school there was a big chimney on the roof.  Starting from the beginning of the school, painting your school graduating year as big as you could was what we did.  However, getting caught by the police meant a huge pain for your folks and yourself and a ton of community service.  So, we waited until midnight or 1 am to sneak up on the roof to paint it.  It would take an hour and half or so, then head home.  We'd be exhausted at school the next day from little sleep.  Out of the gazillion times I painted it, I only came close to getting caught once!  

I was up on the chimney they night before I started at KMart.  While on my first day at Kmart my buddy showed me a secret passage up in the loft in the warehouse in back of the store.  It was where you'd go to eat and relax on your lunch hour.  I was told you could make what ever you wanted for lunch or dinner.

I made a burger and fries and desserts and went to enjoy my dinner.  I moved the boxes used to block the hidden passage.  There was a couch and small table up there.  I enjoyed my dinner, closed my eyes for what I hoped was a few minutes.  The security guard found me sound asleep at 2:00 AM.  He asked if my name was Jeff and I said yes.  He said they were paging you all evening.  I got fired the next day and asked that they not pay me for my couple of hours.  They paid me!  Wow, my pop was sore at me!  Funny, they didn't miss me that evening.  

That's me in middle on the bottom, we snuck out after school for the photo op!  The best of times!

Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21

Replies

• NNNN Posts: 25,235 Senior Member
    Not everyone gets fired
  • Gene LGene L Posts: 12,815 Senior Member
    I got fired from Latourneau Westinghouse (SP) in 1964 or so.  It was in the business of making dirt moving equipment.  I couldn't learn to weld and was never actually taught, you were supposed to train yourself.  It was a dirty job, the only time I've ever been fired.  They did me a favor.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • Diver43Diver43 Posts: 12,746 Senior Member
    Never been fired or laid off.  Quit, retired, quit, quit, 21 years later getting ready to retire again
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Posts: 8,227 Senior Member
    Never been fired or layed off.  I've been blessed in that regard.  But, you never know what's right around the corner.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Posts: 12,419 Senior Member
    I have never been fired, but I was laid off once.  The layoff provided a valuable lesson around "Spreadsheet management".

This was my first real 'professional job' with Apple Computer back in late 1990s and early 2000s.  Being young, a go-getter, and a true believer in the Apple mission (back then), I made some what I found out were some mistakes.  I was the first to volunteer, showed up early, stayed late, offered to cover other people's shifts, and did not take vacation/ PTO if I didn't need to.... and made sure to claim all my overtime to prove to management that I was committed, and would make any sacrifice for the company.

When the Tech bubble burst, and in the downturn following 9/11, suddenly we had layoffs.  I thought 100% I would be safe since I had been proving for YEARS what a great employee I was.

It turns out that I was the first to be cut.  Why would that be?  Well, I found out later through a friend who was still there that I was the most expensive employee in my division.  It did not matter that I was the most productive, had all sorts of awards and recognition, etc...  When the decision was being made way far away, by spreadsheet managers separated by 3-4 levels of 'management' away from the work being done.... well, the tallest nail gets hammered down.

To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • Jeff in TXJeff in TX Posts: 2,637 Senior Member
    I have never been fired, but I was laid off once.  The layoff provided a valuable lesson around "Spreadsheet management".

This was my first real 'professional job' with Apple Computer back in late 1990s and early 2000s.  Being young, a go-getter, and a true believer in the Apple mission (back then), I made some what I found out were some mistakes.  I was the first to volunteer, showed up early, stayed late, offered to cover other people's shifts, and did not take vacation/ PTO if I didn't need to.... and made sure to claim all my overtime to prove to management that I was committed, and would make any sacrifice for the company.

When the Tech bubble burst, and in the downturn following 9/11, suddenly we had layoffs.  I thought 100% I would be safe since I had been proving for YEARS what a great employee I was.

It turns out that I was the first to be cut.  Why would that be?  Well, I found out later through a friend who was still there that I was the most expensive employee in my division.  It did not matter that I was the most productive, had all sorts of awards and recognition, etc...  When the decision was being made way far away, by spreadsheet managers separated by 3-4 levels of 'management' away from the work being done.... well, the tallest nail gets hammered down.

You hit the nail on the head.  When I was promoted to management in the mid to late 90's my company invested a 120 hour of HR training.  They really invested in their employees and the training was phenomenal! 

We had a three day course on how to and who to lay off if we faced a reduction in force.  I remember one example Glady's work was exemplary and stellar.  First in last to leave.  Larry's work was satisfactory, came in at 8 and left at 5.  Who to let go.  We all thought Larry and we were all wrong.  Larry gets the job done in his 8 hours.  Glady's while being outstanding takes her two to three hours longer each day even though everyone was salary. 

Flash forward fifteen years.  I've got a buddy in marketing and he's in the earliest and last to leave.  I had lunch with him and I told him he had a target on his back as layoffs were coming.  I told him if you want to work early or late do it from home but not in the office.  I told him about our HR training I went through way back and Glady's and Larry.  

He immediately took my advice and was an 8 to 5 kind of employee.  Too little to late.  We had layoffs four weeks later and they let him go.  The decision was made weeks in advance. When asked why did he get cut they said it was just a business decision, and that the cut list had been made weeks ago.  Without telling him, he knew why.

He learned a valuable lesson.  He's never repeated it at his current employee.

• 1hogfan831hogfan83 Posts: 347 Member
    I did get fired from everyone of my first 3 jobs after college.  I had a company truck for a crop company and one morning all I remember is getting up, putting and putting on my clothes.  One hour later the truck was on the side of the road and a few state troopers were knocking on my window.  Apparently I hit the Riceland rice train car!  Luckily I wasn’t going fast.  My had a seizure going to work that morning and didn’t remember a thing, complex partial, not a Grand Mal.  My boss wasn’t happy in the least.  After yelling at me for about an hour for not telling him about my epilepsy he fired me.  The next day I got a call from the HR manager and the company lawyer!  They promptly apologized for his behavior and that’s not the company policy.  I was correct that I DO NOT have to tell anyone about my epilepsy and it’s illegal for him to ask, or yell for thirty minutes.  I didn’t know that but now I do and it has helped me a lot.  They did give me a large severance check but it should have been MUCH bigger!  
    "Well he shoulda armed him self" William Munney-Unforgiven"
    "You believe there is one God, that is good, even the demons believe and shudder in fear" James 2:19
  • LinefinderLinefinder Posts: 7,856 Senior Member
    This is interesting information. For years, I've been in a rather strange situation. I'm paid hourly through the "Production" departments budget, though for 10 years I've worked in the toolroom, which is on the Engineering departments budget. As best I can tell, I'm paid about 65% of what a real Toolmaker earns. I'm ok with that, since truthfully, I can only do ~65% of what a formally trained Toolmaker can do. 

A couple years back, our company decided to increase "Production" wages by a buck or two an hour for hourly production workers to bring them more in line with the locally going rates. I was pulled off to the side and gently informed by the Dir of Ops that I wasn't included in this plan because I was already the highest paid hourly "Production" worker in the place. I replied, "You realize what I do is nothing remotely like Production". She said, "I know....just trust me on this".

Always wondered what she meant by that. I may be closer to figuring it out. Thanks, Bullsi.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,928 Senior Member
    Haven't been fired yet.

Got suspended once. Boss said two days. I said could you make it three. He said no, I need you back here monday morning. :o 
    Haven't been fired yet.

Got suspended once. Boss said two days. I said could you make it three. He said no, I need you back here monday morning. :o 
    When I worked for AT&T as a tech in the early 80's there was no getting the opening week of deer season off.  My buddy challenged me to a small competition.  Use our climbers (hooks), climb the pole, put our body belts over the steel strand and bunny hop/bounce from one pole to the next.  First one on the ground on the other side wins.  Loser buys lunch! Well we got busted 3/4 across the stand.  My buddy never gave up and he won!  We both got suspended for three days the following week.  Opening week of deer season.  My buddy said we were really bad and should get a five day suspension.  They said the union wouldn't allow it. 

On Monday morning the boss figured out why we wanted the whole week.  He didn't have enough techs to cover the loads with all the senior techs on vacation for hunting season.  When we came in on Thur there was unlimited OT and we could work the weekend.  We still came out a head with the OT we worked.

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,928 Senior Member
  • zorbazorba Posts: 25,279 Senior Member

Interesting...

I worked for a then fairly well known industrial computer maker back in the 80s to mid 90s. Due to some VERY stupid decisions by senior management (They were more into promoting their "religion" rather than designing products people would buy), we were in the red for 10 of my 13+ years there. I survived more layoffs than I can remember. I was a good employee, blah, blah, blah - but I had made it clear from day ONE that I didn't want overtime if it weren't absolutely necessary. Give it to somebody else first, etc, etc. Now I wonder if that was a factor in my being retained.

One time one of the jr. techs was let go. I found out later that it had come down to a choice between the more "capable one" or the more "jr one". They let the "more jr" one go. I told my boss that I really wished I had been asked - I would have dumped the "more capable" one in a heartbeat if I had had the choice. "More Jr" didn't know much, but was very trainable. I could show him how to do something, and it would get done that way, without variation, very reliably. "More capable" had to be retrained every Monday after he came down from the weekend binge - when he didn't call in sick with the "Budweiser flu" that is. "Junior" worked hard and was there every damn day.

-Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
  • ilove22silove22s Posts: 1,539 Senior Member
    fwiw,

I never got fired - per se.

My last job i only had for 3 months or so.  But there was some driving involved and that was an issue along with a new employee.  I gave them notice on a monday i was going to look for a different line of work and by friday, they had terminated me.  My boss and manager was willing to let me say a while until they found a replacement, but corporate had other ideas.

I mentioned to them, i had never quit a job either, other than for summer jobs and they were the first i had quit.

iac, i guess it all depends on how you look at things.

A previous job, i was let go, several times due to lack of work.  They did re-hire me back that many times too.  

but it all depends on the situation.   

The ears never lie.

- Don Burt
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Posts: 8,305 Senior Member

When I worked for AT&T as a tech in the early 80's there was no getting the opening week of deer season off.  My buddy challenged me to a small competition.  Use our climbers (hooks), climb the pole, put our body belts over the steel strand and bunny hop/bounce from one pole to the next.  First one on the ground on the other side wins.  Loser buys lunch! Well we got busted 3/4 across the stand.  My buddy never gave up and he won!  We both got suspended for three days the following week.  Opening week of deer season.  My buddy said we were really bad and should get a five day suspension.  They said the union wouldn't allow it. 

On Monday morning the boss figured out why we wanted the whole week.  He didn't have enough techs to cover the loads with all the senior techs on vacation for hunting season.  When we came in on Thur there was unlimited OT and we could work the weekend.  We still came out a head with the OT we worked.

Strand dancing is frowned upon, but these days there is no supervision who leave the office to catch you. I have worked for independent telco since 88 and honestly, if you were out walking a 5 strand line, it was a no no, but..... Dont know if you are aware, but no one free climbs anymore. Look up Buck Squeeze, a product of the nanny state mentality. If you got suspended, they either held it to after deer season or a holiday, or got it in before. All of our supervisors had been techs at that time.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Posts: 8,305 Senior Member
    Never been fired. Left a couple and have been laid off from seasonal work. I have been unemployed for 2 weeks total.
    Now if I win the lottery.. it is my intention to work until I get fired. I have 34 years worth of vacation personal days. It should take about a month and a half.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.

Strand dancing is frowned upon, but these days there is no supervision who leave the office to catch you. I have worked for independent telco since 88 and honestly, if you were out walking a 5 strand line, it was a no no, but..... Dont know if you are aware, but no one free climbs anymore. Look up Buck Squeeze, a product of the nanny state mentality. If you got suspended, they either held it to after deer season or a holiday, or got it in before. All of our supervisors had been techs at that time.

Yeah they were widening the road and put a new cable section up on the other side.  Strand dancing as you called it is one heck of a work out.  I work for the T-Berd test set company and still go to garages.  I saw the buck squeeze when my boys went to work for AT&T ten years or so ago.  I saw it as a solution to something that didn't need fixing.  We learned how to climb and used our hooks often.  I guess it stops that one in a million falls that could happen.   Back then they couldn't cherry pick the days to suspend you, it was the day after the meeting with the bosses.  I remember my second line looked at both of us when he found out and just said "seriously"! He said it with a huge grin as he was known to be the best at strand dancing back in his day as a tech!

You're dead right about supervisors never leaving the garage.  It's awful to see what some service providers are doing and have become.  They could careless about their employees and only about the bottom line.   I left in Dec of 95 a year or so after coming back from Bell Core.  I saw the writing on the walls and got while the getting was good.  My boys never believed me when I said it used to be a great place to work.  They hated it there and each stayed four or five years hoping it would get better.  It got worse.  Back in my day, they Bell System was all a big family and we really knew how to take care of each other and the customer.

• ojrojr Posts: 1,344 Senior Member
    edited March 2021 #18
    I've worked for the same company, well in the same set of buildings owned at times by several different owners since I was 16yrs old.
     I started as a boy 43 yrs ago.
    We make woollen carpet yarn and are now owned by what I believe is the biggest flooring manufacture in the world.
    I'm 59 yrs old, have been steadily promoted upwards to now the Manager  of the biggest department in our plant and I have never in my life been more afraid of losing my Job than I am now.

The flight was uneventful, which is what one wants when one is transporting an Elephant.
     Reuters, Dec 2020.
    ojr said:
    I've worked for the same company, well in the same set of buildings owned at times by several different owners since I was 16yrs old.
     I started as a boy 43 yrs ago.
    We make woollen carpet yarn and are now owned by what I believe is the biggest flooring manufacture in the world.
    I'm 59 yrs old, have been steadily promoted upwards to now the Manager  of the biggest department in our plant and I have never in my life been more afraid of losing my Job than I am now.

I'm in the same boat with you.  I'm 60 with twenty five years with my company.  I'm just trying to squeeze out another three years.  Problem is the engineers with the most seniority are often the first to go with our bi-yearly reductions in force downsizing's we tend to do.  After three years I don't care what happens.