Home Main Category General Firearms

Gun you've had for the longest

2»

Replies

• LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Colorado SpringsPosts: 7,821 Senior Member
    edited March 2021 #32
    CHIRO1989 said:
    1st rifle I ever owned. A mag-fed 22 Bolt action given to me by my brother in 1965. So, I've owned it for almost 55 years. Haven't shot it since I was 15 or so.

Mike
    Prairie dog hunting must have presented a .22 range shot or two, you need to shoot that gun.
    That's sort of funny, Scott.  There's been a couple of times both Mike and I carried a .22 just for close shots.  Simply put, I didn't see any that close. :)
    I did. One standing tall and proud at 110 yards, almost a chip shot for my tweaked 1022/T with the Leupold cranked to 12X. But it didn't work out that way. Swirling winds play havoc with a 22LR. One shot goes downwind, so you compensate. The next shot lands upwind. You compensate again. And again. The pdog is completely non-plussed until he catches one in the chest by pure luck on your 19th shot. I cased that 1022/T and haven't fired it since. It's a great rifle, but the wind in Colorado, even the "light" ones by our standards, make a 22 rimfire iffy at best.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member J&D Ranch - North Central TXPosts: 2,548 Senior Member
    edited March 2021 #33
    I was born in 60, my pop got me a Browning SA .22 LR that year.  He knew I was going to love this rifle when I got older.  It's still my pride and joy today.  Funny thing is when the kids are out, they'll forgo the 10/22 for plinking  and take the Browning out.  It's just fun to shoot and the sexiest 22 ever made in my opinion!

I still have pops mid 1940's Win Model 94 .32 Win Special (Win stopped recording serial number from 1943 to 47 because of WWII), his 1953 AYA Model 106 12ga double barrel and my buddies dad's 1949 Browning A5 Sweet 16!  All are in pristine condition including my Browning 22.
    Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21
  • lancebanyonlancebanyon Posts: 35 Member
    Winchester 1890 .22 long.  Since 1968.