Home Main Category General Firearms

I blame Big Slug - CZ

Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior MemberTexas as soon as I can get there.Posts: 1,628 Senior Member
So I went to the gun show to thin the herd and had some cash in hand.

With his post in my thoughts, I bumped into a CZ trainer that absolutely called to me.  My pictures suck, but tge gun doesn’t.  Now I have a 22 with iron sights to teach my kids to shoot with.

Replies

• CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Central MNPosts: 14,659 Senior Member
    Nicely done Bigslug! ;)
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,928 Senior Member
    I think jealous!
  • JKPJKP Senior Member North FloridaPosts: 2,677 Senior Member
  • NNNN Senior Member NCPosts: 25,221 Senior Member
    Looks like a good one, hey.
  • ilove22silove22s Senior Member OregonPosts: 1,526 Senior Member
    just so you know, CZs have a tendency to multiply.....
    The ears never lie.

- Don Burt
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 4,753 Senior Member
    Nice find. Congrats.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Between Ft Lauderdale and MiamiPosts: 12,556 Senior Member
    Nice find, I am thinking of going to the one at the Armory tomorrow
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 28,060 Senior Member
    Envy. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • FreezerFreezer Senior Member Posts: 2,599 Senior Member
    the enablers strike again! Ya can't have too many 22s.
    I like Elmer Keith; I married his daughter :wink:
  • Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior Member Texas as soon as I can get there.Posts: 1,628 Senior Member
    Freezer said:
    the enablers strike again! Ya can't have too many 22s.
    So true.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 9,696 Senior Member
    We are the Borg.  You will be assimilated!  (Jeez!  Do people even get that reference anymore?)

Glad I could help.  That's my number 1 CZ alright.  Be advised, if you DO scope it, I believe it's an 11mm rail, not a U.S. spec one.

After dialing in the irons year ago, I mounted up a Weaver V7 2-7x28 - thinking it was just going to be a bunny gun.  Would have been the perfect scope for any lesser rifle.  Fed it some Wolf Match target which bughole grouped at 50 yards. . .and pretty much kept doing that every time I tried.  It was a great little scope, but kind of eye-strainy for group shooting.  Migrated that over to a semi auto beater

Tried a Weaver V-16 4-16x42 next, but again, glass quality not quite there and with the rear irons, it needed pretty uncomfortably high rings to work.  Lives on a .223 Bolt gun now.

A couple years ago, it got a Leupold VX2 3-9 EFR A/O, that can even take a CDS dial if I ever feel like doping out a single type of ammo for it.  MUCH Happier state of affairs!

1 more week until I can wring out the Ultra Lux (weather permitting).  I hope the no-scope range report will really do the rifle justice.  Amusingly, the rifle came with rings in the box - hopefully my optometrist can keep me in a place where they aren't needed. :s
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
    That’s a great score!  You’ll shoot irons for a while and then when you figure out how stupid accurate it is I can almost guarantee you’ll end up scoping it.  Great rifles.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 9,696 Senior Member
    GunNut said:
    That’s a great score!  You’ll shoot irons for a while and then when you figure out how stupid accurate it is I can almost guarantee you’ll end up scoping it.  Great rifles.
    That IS kind of a conundrum with these guns.  The iron sights and the stock geometry for using them are both excellent, but every single discussion I've encountered on them says the accuracy capability is such that they will inevitably whisper "what if?" at you.  If you've got another scoped rifle that delivers the goods, I guess I'd advise compartmentalization, but that would be a case of "do as I say, not as I do". :p

And as I said in my last post, picking the RIGHT scope can be a bit of a brain teaser.  With good ammo, it's probably Benchrest-quality accurate, but it's basically designed as a field rifle.  There are things that ride sandbags much better, but the gun's "acting skills" allow it to fake the role.  Hence my choice of medium variable power, medium height, excellent clarity.  YMMV.

Creepy OEM triggers have been about the only mechanical complaint about them, but there are plenty of fix options out there for that.   I think mine got the Automation Solutions sear back in the day.  Would probably do a Timney today if the OEM adjustments don't get it done.  Either they fixed the issues in house by the time they got to my new Ultra Lux or the previous owner dealt with it.  Hopefully yours is good to go.

The safeties are pull back to fire, push forward to safe - backwards for most American brains.  If you actually use the safety, best to program yourself to think of it in terms of cocking or lowering a hammer.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • AntonioAntonio Senior Member Lima, PeruPosts: 2,986 Senior Member
    Very nice CZ. I see the stock checkering and that should mean it's a 455 model. Not a problem at all with that despite what you might read or hear from some die-hard 452 (the model the 455 replaced to ease construction and reduce manufacturing costs) fans.
    Main difference is that the 452 had a screwed-on barrel while the 455 line has removable barrels fixed by bolts that allows the owner to change calibers (.22LR, .22WMR & .17HMR available) by swapping tubes and magazines if desired. I have a 455 Full Stock and it shoots as accurate as my 452 Trainer.

I scoped my Trainer to hunt with it; later got the 455FS and replaced it in the main small game hunting rifle role, so I took out the optics and used it in 50-yard shooting matches and also to bag some game when opportunity allowed using iron sights

Ron, get one; won't regret it and will enjoy it a lot with open sights and even cheap bulk ammo, which these rifles seem lo love. 

I'd suggest an American model for those thinking about scoping one of these CZs; the don't come with iron sights and have no "hump" in the stock back and although I haven't tested the newest 457 model yet at least those 452 and 455 Americans I´ve seen at the local range are excellent shooters with decent ammo (SK bulk), mid-priced scopes (Nikon 3-9x40mm. rimfire line) and no other upgrade than $ 5 lighter trigger spring.  
  • empiregladysNY24empiregladysNY24 Posts: 2 New Member
    So I went to the gun show to thin the herd and had some cash in hand.

With his post in my thoughts, I bumped into a CZ trainer that absolutely called to me.  My pictures suck, but tge gun doesn’t.  Now I have a 22 with iron sights to teach my kids to shoot with.

What is a big slug?
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Renton, WashingtonPosts: 2,598 Senior Member
    Nice Grab!
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.